7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hmm, Infinity? The dark side?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 11:29 AM

Hmm, Infinity? The dark side?

It's getting closer to that time when I need to decide what I want to do. I have plenty of time, but the itch is strong.

Wait to see how the new Max looks and feels? Will it ever hit the showrooms?

Or, the Infinity Q50 looks very interesting. Same pricing, more or less, better power, etc etc.

Any thoughts?
Old 05-21-2014, 11:34 AM

*Infiniti.
Old 05-21-2014, 11:59 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by AlDente67
It's getting closer to that time when I need to decide what I want to do. I have plenty of time, but the itch is strong.

Wait to see how the new Max looks and feels? Will it ever hit the showrooms?

Or, the Infinity Q50 looks very interesting. Same pricing, more or less, better power, etc etc.

Any thoughts?
Q50 is nice! Interior is fantastic! RWD or AWD! Cutting edge looks! If it's in the budget go for it.
Old 05-21-2014, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by Fakie J Farkerton
*Infiniti.
This

Old 05-21-2014, 01:26 PM

Why Q50? Don't get me wrong, I drove my brother's and it's nice but I don't have the wow factor. I don't particularly like the front end. It does look aggressive but it's too skinny for me. Anyway, I would still say wait until the 2015 Maxima comes out. If only to get a peak and to not regret getting a Q50 when you never know if the new Maxima could be a better value.
Old 05-21-2014, 01:26 PM

The Q50 looks great, but the car mags I read have been pretty critical of the steering feel and other stuff.
Of course, car mags have their opinions and sometimes, they aren't very relevant. What is important isn't what they say about a car you are interested in, but what YOU think of the car you are interested in.
If I listened to car mags, I never would have grabbed my Max, my dad wouldn't be driving a BMW 5 series, and my mom wouldn't still be in love with her Toyota Solara convertible.
My advice to anyone thinking about picking up any car is simple. Drive the car, then drive the competition. If your local dealership will allow it, ask them to lend you the car for a day so you can get more than a test drive in. Think about how you use your car - I promise one 10 minute test drive won't give you much insight into the car.
Dealerships that allow this tend to sell a lot of cars. The Chevy dealership by my house routinely does this. They take a copy of your license and insurance and hold onto your car overnight while you drive theirs. When you come back, they let you have your ride back and try to close the deal. My wife was looking for a car and liked the Equinox. They handed her the keys to an Equinox LTZ with AWD and told her to take it home and bring it back the next day. The next day, she bought the Equinox. It's smart.
Good luck. There are a lot of great cars that compete with the Q50, so you should have lots of fun driving a few of them and comparing them.
Old 05-21-2014, 06:48 PM

Might as well wait. Mod your max in the mean time if your itchy. The Q50's price will only drop I dont think they are selling that many. I've seen prob about 5 on the streets in total.
Old 05-21-2014, 07:17 PM

Still a selection of G37x sedans available the last time I looked... many going for around $35-40K.
Old 05-21-2014, 07:31 PM

I'm a big fan of the q series, rear wheel drive is a lot of fun and it drives like it wants to go fast
Old 05-21-2014, 08:10 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

This:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNhvCELJf1g#t=110
Old 05-22-2014, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by Maximam
Good video. The car is gorgeous, no denying that. However, I would still wait. Like one .orger said, the price will only drop so just mod it or wait anxiously. I have seen quite a few Q50's in Houston, but the city is huge and this was in a concentrated area.

Last edited by Propa Teknique; 05-22-2014 at 06:51 AM.
Old 05-22-2014, 12:31 PM

We shall see what the next 6 months holds. I wish the damn Max would just come out already. Not knowing the final design, features, and pricing points is just a tease for now.

I'm not modding anything else on the Max now. Waste of money if I decide to replace it.
Old 05-22-2014, 08:51 PM

I have never been a fan of AWD; lowers gas mileage, more expensive to repair, and is more expensive to keep 'tired up', as all tires need to have same outside diameter/tread depth. Replacing a failed tire on an AWD vehicle when the current tires are half-worn can be problematic with some AWD vehicles. Of course living south of Atlanta removes much of the reasons for AWD.

Except for a period with a FWD Olds Toranado in the mid-1960s, I drove RWD from the late 1940s until 1984. RWD was fine. But I switched to Maximas (FWD) in fall of 1984, and found I prefer FWD. My FWD Maxima seems to be more grippy, more stable and more manageable than RWD when the roads are wet, and I like the feel of FWD when going into sharp curves a little faster than I should.

But that is just my preference. Some drivers are used to RWD, and prefer that.

Back to the Q50.

Careful price comparisons seem to indicate that a totally loaded Maxima offers a better price point than a totally loaded Q50, which can easily soar past $50K. Although a loaded Maxima lists around $40K, I can easily get it for $35K at most dealers around Atlanta. But a similarly loaded Q50 will start above $45K, and will not get the discount the Maxima does in the Atlanta area.

Consumer Reports gives the Maxima a rating of 83 (on a 1-100 scale), while the Q50 gets a rating of only 73, with steering feel, ride, road noise, poor controls, restrictive options packages, small trunk and overly large turning circle all being areas where the Q50 is downrated.

There is no way I would not hold off on the Q50 and compare with the 8th gen Maxima, which we will be hearing and seeing more about this summer.
Old 05-23-2014, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
I have never been a fan of AWD; lowers gas mileage, more expensive to repair, and is more expensive to keep 'tired up', as all tires need to have same outside diameter/tread depth. Replacing a failed tire on an AWD vehicle when the current tires are half-worn can be problematic with some AWD vehicles. Of course living south of Atlanta removes much of the reasons for AWD.

Except for a period with a FWD Olds Toranado in the mid-1960s, I drove RWD from the late 1940s until 1984. RWD was fine. But I switched to Maximas (FWD) in fall of 1984, and found I prefer FWD. My FWD Maxima seems to be more grippy, more stable and more manageable than RWD when the roads are wet, and I like the feel of FWD when going into sharp curves a little faster than I should.

But that is just my preference. Some drivers are used to RWD, and prefer that.

Back to the Q50.

Careful price comparisons seem to indicate that a totally loaded Maxima offers a better price point than a totally loaded Q50, which can easily soar past $50K. Although a loaded Maxima lists around $40K, I can easily get it for $35K at most dealers around Atlanta. But a similarly loaded Q50 will start above $45K, and will not get the discount the Maxima does in the Atlanta area.

Consumer Reports gives the Maxima a rating of 83 (on a 1-100 scale), while the Q50 gets a rating of only 73, with steering feel, ride, road noise, poor controls, restrictive options packages, small trunk and overly large turning circle all being areas where the Q50 is downrated.

There is no way I would not hold off on the Q50 and compare with the 8th gen Maxima, which we will be hearing and seeing more about this summer.
As always, excellent advice. No matter the vehicle in the Nissan/Infiniti lineup, I feel that the Maxima offers the best value overall with style, amenities, speed, and reliability. Granted EVERY vehicle in this world has problems, I truly have not encountered anything in the two Maximas that I have owned that would truly cause me to capitulate my loyalty to the brand.

As I said before, the Q50 is a beautifully sculpted car with some impressive tech, but for that price I would not expect that tech to have bombed like it has or have issues with road noise, steering controls, or ride quality coming from a luxury sports sedan.

It can't hurt to simply wait for the Max, or the new unveiling of 2015/2016 models from all auto makers to simply gauge what could possible tweak your interest. The Q50 will definitely get better, so maybe you should wait until it does.
Old 05-23-2014, 12:01 PM

Infinity is 330 HP (1), has more reliable transmission (2), definitely looks better inside and out (3,4), less wind noise on the hwy (5!). I agree with your price comparison but I think you get A LOT for the extra 10 grand. I myself thought it was a better deal but this was my first new car in my life and I was very nervous about signing up for such big monthly payment. I drove the Q50 myself twice and have been passenger in my colleague's car and it does feel the nicer car of the two. With respect to AWD.. if you can't afford tires you probably shouldn't be jumping for Q50. Same with gas mileage. RWD and AWD both feel much nicer in good weather, which is most of the time no matter where you live. With rare exceptions good drivers can get to work with RWD even in the winter. Thats not really off road car.. these cars usually see very gentle use because of the lifestyle of the people who can afford them. All in all if you can comfortably afford both I think the Q50 will make you happier.
Old 05-23-2014, 02:38 PM

Well, I basically got rooked on the '12 Max in terms of final price. They wore me out and I signed on the line which was dotted for more than I should have. Live and learn.

Now, lease rates put the Q beneath the Max lease price I'm ready to get out of when done (or close to it).

That said, when the '15 Max finally comes out with established pricing (as well as features), I'll be in a better position to compare. I'm just getting antsy.
Old 05-23-2014, 03:32 PM

If you are going to spend Q money and can live with 2 doors check out the BMW 4 series.
Old 05-23-2014, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by 13Maximasv
If you are going to spend Q money and can live with 2 doors check out the BMW 4 series.
Ditto!!! Wait a year and by a slightly used q50s, if it ain't the S with the sport front then it looks like ****. The maxima with stillen lip looks better the regular q50/s without the nicer front. Gas mileage is trash on the infiniti's why I bout a max. Not about if you have the money or not because if you do then then you wouldn't be on here. It's stupid that the same seat motor replacement on a Nissan is 50%+ cheaper then on an Infiniti. My brother has the q50 and the steering feel is not as responsive as in a Max, all this bs technology that controls needs some refining.

2, the dumbest I have heard is a rear wheel drive car driving fine in the snow, like wtf???? Most rear wheel drive cars couldn't Handle that powder **** Atlanta saw this year!!!!! Imagine up here in the Northeast....I see 08-09 750LI's spinning out and they are way heavier!
Old 05-24-2014, 02:49 AM

Originally Posted by assiduous
Infinity is 330 HP (1), has more reliable transmission (2), definitely looks better inside and out (3,4), less wind noise on the hwy (5!). I agree with your price comparison but I think you get A LOT for the extra 10 grand. I myself thought it was a better deal but this was my first new car in my life and I was very nervous about signing up for such big monthly payment. I drove the Q50 myself twice and have been passenger in my colleague's car and it does feel the nicer car of the two. With respect to AWD.. if you can't afford tires you probably shouldn't be jumping for Q50. Same with gas mileage. RWD and AWD both feel much nicer in good weather, which is most of the time no matter where you live. With rare exceptions good drivers can get to work with RWD even in the winter. Thats not really off road car.. these cars usually see very gentle use because of the lifestyle of the people who can afford them. All in all if you can comfortably afford both I think the Q50 will make you happier.
I would disagree about the tranny. The CVT in the 7th gen has been surprisingly reliable, and CU rates both the tranny reliability and the overall reliability of the Maxima above agerage. The AWD and tire situations are not so much about the money - I always pay cash up front for my cars - have not had a loan of any sort for over thirty years. I could afford whatever I wanted. But having lived during the great depression of the 1930s, I always aim for the better vehicle for the money. That would clearly not be the Q50.

AWD kills fuel mileage. For instance, the difference in highway fuel efficiency for the 2015 Genesis is 4 MPG higher for the two wheel drive version (29 MPG) than for the AWD (25 MPG). I have no problem paying whatever the price of fuel might be, but am adverse to wasting energy when AWD gives me no real advantage in the warm climate of middle Georgia.

The shortcomings Consumer Reports found in the Q50, and the much lower overall rating they gave the Q50 made it very clear to me that I would not be happy with the Q50. I understand there are folks who prefer RWD, but I drove RWD for thirty-six years, and have now driven FWD for thirty years (yes, I am old), and I much prefer the FWD, where sixty percent of the weight of the car is over the drive wheels. That also enables me to drive my Maxima in moderate snow and ice, where a RWD car would not be driveable.

I do like Infinitis, other than the fact they do not have FWD, and Consumer Reports has generally rated Infinitis rather well over the years. I think the Q50 will be a good vehicle once Infiniti gets the initial shortcomings fixed, and I'm sure they will. Some folks will be very happy with the Q50.
Old 05-24-2014, 11:34 AM

I can live with the fact that the Maxima will never have a manual transmission, but Nissan's refusal to consider anything in it except a CVT is reason enough that I won't consider the upcoming model.
Old 05-24-2014, 12:09 PM

q70
Old 05-27-2014, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by Stevied23
I can live with the fact that the Maxima will never have a manual transmission, but Nissan's refusal to consider anything in it except a CVT is reason enough that I won't consider the upcoming model.
Let's not jump the gun. They may offer other tranmissions just not know. It seems that the CVT is more economical and more efficient than manuals or 4-5-6 speed transmissions for now. They are refining the CVT to make it better and more appealing and I think that's a great idea. Lightonthehill mentioned they may possibly introduce other transmissions later on down the line but right now this does work--not for everyone but it does work.

Originally Posted by smplyamzng
q70
Q70 is definitely a sight to behold and joy to drive but you might want to sell your house and move into its backseat for that kind of money. As another user mentioned, Infiniti uses some of the same parts that Nissan uses for their vehicles but upcharges and that definitely isn't cool. The car is gorgeous, however, and fast as all get out.
Old 05-27-2014, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by Propa Teknique
Let's not jump the gun. They may offer other tranmissions just not know. It seems that the CVT is more economical and more efficient than manuals or 4-5-6 speed transmissions for now. They are refining the CVT to make it better and more appealing and I think that's a great idea. Lightonthehill mentioned they may possibly introduce other transmissions later on down the line but right now this does work--not for everyone but it does work.

Q70 is definitely a sight to behold and joy to drive but you might want to sell your house and move into its backseat for that kind of money. As another user mentioned, Infiniti uses some of the same parts that Nissan uses for their vehicles but upcharges and that definitely isn't cool. The car is gorgeous, however, and fast as all get out.
I'll believe it when I see it. They have been using CVTs in the Maxima since, 2008 I think and it's present it almost every other model they produce. They may be able to make it better but it won't be more appealing to me.
Old 05-30-2014, 12:22 PM

The Q50 looks very nice, but like some of you guys said it doesn't have the "wow" factor which I would have to agree. Additionally I don't like the fact they are using the steering by the wire technology they put it, so that's pretty much a disconnect from the road feel so it worse than cars that are using electric rack & pinion.
Old 05-30-2014, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by FanaticMadMax
The Q50 looks very nice, but like some of you guys said it doesn't have the "wow" factor which I would have to agree. Additionally I don't like the fact they are using the steering by the wire technology they put it, so that's pretty much a disconnect from the road feel so it worse than cars that are using electric rack & pinion.
Does this go for the M37S as well? I'm seriously starting to fall in love with that car.
Old 06-03-2014, 11:20 AM

I made a foray to my "local" dealer to have my first in-person experience and take a drive. And here are my impressions...

The 50 and 70 (and I think they said the M37S is end of life) fit my needs for features and space. Space is an infrequent consideration, but a factor nonetheless.

The Q60 Coupe in black with red interior (IPV) is absolutely gorgeous in styling as compared to the others. And as icing on the cake, the incentives are pretty healthy compared to the others. This is likely because sales of the 60 is/are not up to expectations.
The back seat and trunk of the 60 are severely limited, as fairly normal for a coupe, but my friend of normal size had his head up against the back window even with the front passenger seat fairly far forward, and he is not tall.

The 60 uses the exact same NAV as the Maxima, whereas the 50 and others now have a new setup. Nothing really wrong with that, but I would have hoped to see the latest technology in the slightly higher level model.

The interesting thing is the IPV-tuned engine has the exact same performance as the regular 3.7 V6, according to reviews I've read, yet suffers from a stiffer suspension. I didn't drive the IPV because it was land-locked inside the showroom. It was interesting to drive the regular 60 and feel the trans actually shift after getting used to the CVT.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:06 AM

I made a foray to my "local" dealer to have my first in-person experience and take a drive. And here are my impressions...

The 50 and 70 (and I think they said the M37S is end of life) fit my needs for features and space. Space is an infrequent consideration, but a factor nonetheless.

The Q60 Coupe in black with red interior (IPV) is absolutely gorgeous in styling as compared to the others. And as icing on the cake, the incentives are pretty healthy compared to the others. This is likely because sales of the 60 is/are not up to expectations.
The back seat and trunk of the 60 are severely limited, as fairly normal for a coupe, but my friend of normal size had his head up against the back window even with the front passenger seat fairly far forward, and he is not tall.

The 60 uses the exact same NAV as the Maxima, whereas the 50 and others now have a new setup. Nothing really wrong with that, but I would have hoped to see the latest technology in the slightly higher level model.

The interesting thing is the IPV-tuned engine has the exact same performance as the regular 3.7 V6, according to reviews I've read, yet suffers from a stiffer suspension. I didn't drive the IPV because it was land-locked inside the showroom. It was interesting to drive the regular 60 and feel the trans actually shift after getting used to the CVT.
The M37S will be rebranded to the Q70 with the same two model--3.7 and 5.6. They are definitely spacious and very stylish. I don't know much about the Q60 as I'm not a fan of coupes. It seems there were not many changes, however, from the M to the Q transition yet the vehicles are priced somewhat higher.

Would you prefer a Q60 over a Q70 or would you go for the Q70 just for spaciousness?
Old 06-04-2014, 07:36 AM

I find all coupes ugly, all brands, not just nissan and infinity. What is this forward slant at the rear? I just can't imagine how people look at this and say, wow, beautiful.
Old 06-04-2014, 10:20 AM

I drove the Q50 for a few days while our new Infinit was getting worked on. I really did not like it...the drive is just not nearly as fun as the G37 and the interface for the controls is HORRIBLE. 2 screens with different information and it was really slow. Personally, I think the Q50 is flop.
Old 06-04-2014, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by NCSUpilot
I drove the Q50 for a few days while our new Infinit was getting worked on. I really did not like it...the drive is just not nearly as fun as the G37 and the interface for the controls is HORRIBLE. 2 screens with different information and it was really slow. Personally, I think the Q50 is flop.
Thanks for this input. I really wanted to see the new interface but didn't have time. The Q60 has the same as the Maxima, so I wanted the new goodies, not that there is anything wrong with the old (it works fine for me).

To answer Propa, I'd go with the 70 for the space, but the current incentives are nowhere near the 60 right now. I suppose because nobody wants a 60.

But the IP version is prettier than anything else in the showroom...50, non IP 60, or 70.
Old 06-04-2014, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by assiduous
I find all coupes ugly, all brands, not just nissan and infinity. What is this forward slant at the rear? I just can't imagine how people look at this and say, wow, beautiful.
I hear you on that. I've never been a fan of coupes. They just don't do it for me. It's like they are deformed. That's just my opinion, however. Maybe I'll grow to like the new ones that come out.

Why does the Q50 have two different screens? What does each screen show? Is this standard on all models of the Q50?

Thanks for this input. I really wanted to see the new interface but didn't have time. The Q60 has the same as the Maxima, so I wanted the new goodies, not that there is anything wrong with the old (it works fine for me).

To answer Propa, I'd go with the 70 for the space, but the current incentives are nowhere near the 60 right now. I suppose because nobody wants a 60.

But the IP version is prettier than anything else in the showroom...50, non IP 60, or 70.
Al, what does IP stand for? What the difference in the regular version? Also, since the M37 and M56 are essentially the same vehicle as the Q70, have you maybe considered getting a CPO 2012/2013 M56S or M37S??
Old 06-05-2014, 11:28 AM

Propa, one screen does most of the temperature and climate controls while the top one does most display information. I don't exactly recall so I could be wrong...but it was very confusing and slow.
Old 06-05-2014, 02:48 PM

Propa, one screen does most of the temperature and climate controls while the top one does most display information. I don't exactly recall so I could be wrong...but it was very confusing and slow.
I heard it was very glitchy but I didn't realize there were two screens. I'm sure they still look good though but I wouldn't want to put out a luxury vehicle like that if it has too many problems.
Old 06-05-2014, 09:47 PM

Funny, I love tech but I miss when cars had just one screen. It was only replaced after you were stopped, berated, and threatened by local LEO because they claimed it was unsafe to drive because it had a crack(s) in it.
Old 06-05-2014, 10:33 PM

Definitely wait.

I havent had the chance to drive any of the considered cars.. so I cant speak from that standpoint..

But!

Depending on where you live determines your need for AWD. For instance, living in northwest indiana.. itd be worth every penny to invest in the AWD sedan. I didnt truly understand how much better driving in horrid conditions (snow, ice, and -46 degree windchill) could be until I got behind the wheel of my friends 2010 tl sh-awd. I felt comfortable drifting corners 150% of the time and felt like I was in complete control. My maxima (01) performed fantastically for a front wheel drive car on summer tires.. but it was night and day comparison. However, as another member said earlier if you live far enough south then everything I just said isnt important. Q70s are great cars.. but theyre not as good looking as a Q50 and you dont have to sell too many organs on the black market to afford a q50. Friend of mines father owns an infinti dealer and he drives a different car everyday. His favorite is the q50 by far. The Infinitis will be fantastic cars until they start aging and needing expensive repairs. My father learned that one the hard way when he bought a 2003 passat, great car without issue until about 2 years ago and since then its an axle here, replacement of the air injection system there, throwing new codes all the time,etc etc. It cost him nearly $600 to have an oil leak fixed. Car repairs arent cheap but the Maxima will be a lot cheaper to maintain. Personally, im not a fan of the Q60 and most coupes. Theyre just so... coupey? Lol. The backseats are nearly pointless so they might as well get rid of them. Space is a factor, so id stray from the 60.

I hope that the new maxima is painstakingly beautiful... yet I have this bad feeling that Nissan may have murdered the design and that it will be a failed attempt from trying too hard to pursue greatness. Obviously that wont be known until its released but satisfy the itch with modding or take up another hobby to preoccupy your eagerness. Maybe take up bird watching or gardening? Take yoga class or join a bowling league! Just have patience and you wont have any regrets.

My two cents. Repeated points but just more to reinforce the decision!
Old 06-06-2014, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by King_Ten_Ahead
Definitely wait.

I havent had the chance to drive any of the considered cars.. so I cant speak from that standpoint..

But!

Depending on where you live determines your need for AWD. For instance, living in northwest indiana.. itd be worth every penny to invest in the AWD sedan. I didnt truly understand how much better driving in horrid conditions (snow, ice, and -46 degree windchill) could be until I got behind the wheel of my friends 2010 tl sh-awd. I felt comfortable drifting corners 150% of the time and felt like I was in complete control. My maxima (01) performed fantastically for a front wheel drive car on summer tires.. but it was night and day comparison. However, as another member said earlier if you live far enough south then everything I just said isnt important. Q70s are great cars.. but theyre not as good looking as a Q50 and you dont have to sell too many organs on the black market to afford a q50. Friend of mines father owns an infinti dealer and he drives a different car everyday. His favorite is the q50 by far. The Infinitis will be fantastic cars until they start aging and needing expensive repairs. My father learned that one the hard way when he bought a 2003 passat, great car without issue until about 2 years ago and since then its an axle here, replacement of the air injection system there, throwing new codes all the time,etc etc. It cost him nearly $600 to have an oil leak fixed. Car repairs arent cheap but the Maxima will be a lot cheaper to maintain. Personally, im not a fan of the Q60 and most coupes. Theyre just so... coupey? Lol. The backseats are nearly pointless so they might as well get rid of them. Space is a factor, so id stray from the 60.

I hope that the new maxima is painstakingly beautiful... yet I have this bad feeling that Nissan may have murdered the design and that it will be a failed attempt from trying too hard to pursue greatness. Obviously that wont be known until its released but satisfy the itch with modding or take up another hobby to preoccupy your eagerness. Maybe take up bird watching or gardening? Take yoga class or join a bowling league! Just have patience and you wont have any regrets.

My two cents. Repeated points but just more to reinforce the decision!
Here in the south we definitely don't need AWD. I do feel that the Q50 is smaller and I like bigger bodied cars like the Q70. It's just beautiful to look at especially with the sports package and the 20" wheels that comes with it.

The Maxima, however, will always hold a place in my heart because it was my 1st and is my second vehicle and I love how they have grown in that time. Looking at the pictures splattered all over the internet of the interior and exterior I still feel that they raise the bar consistently and despite the issues they have had with engines and transmissions, that didn't necessarily affect the brand as adversely as the fact they have waited so long for another model.