7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

LED Help

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2014, 05:48 PM

Question LED Help

I finally got around to installing LEDs for my front and rear turns. I bought a set of four 6ohm 50W resistors, one for each bulb.

All of the lights work but the front parking lights don't work at all, including the front LEDs. Turn signals and hazards work.

I didn't see a fuse for just the parking lights so I'm at a loss.

Any ideas/suggestions???
Old 09-20-2014, 06:38 PM

Found the fuse (clearance lamp) and it keeps blowing. I'm no electrician so I don't know what it could be. I had some extra fuses and tried everything up to a 30A and it blew every one.

Ideas???
Old 09-20-2014, 08:22 PM

Did you buy 3157 ck type for the front signals? Make sure they are ck not regular 3157
Old 09-21-2014, 06:15 AM

most likely you didnt get CK style bulbs, the pins on them are different so you'll blow fuses
Old 09-21-2014, 04:18 PM

Yes, they are 3157. I'll send them back and get the CKs. Thanks fellas.
Old 09-21-2014, 06:31 PM

Found this so I'm gonna give it a try:

http://http://www.tacomaworld.com/fo...bs-3157ck.html
Old 09-23-2014, 06:35 PM

Cant we just change the grounds pin and make it ck style?
Old 09-23-2014, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by DMAXIM
Cant we just change the grounds pin and make it ck style?
Yes, that's what the link I posted above shows how to do. I was able to get one done but didn't try it out yet. The bulbs I bought aren't bright enough so I ended up ordering some from Vleds. I didn't want to go through the hassle of removing the tires and all that jazz and still not be happy with the brightness.

I'll replace them once the new ones come in.
Old 09-25-2014, 02:52 PM

Ok let us know if it worked. I wanna to do the same thing but with these leds

http://www.exledusa.com/6k-white-amber-power-led-switchback-3157-3156-t-10-m2-1-pair.html
Old 09-25-2014, 02:59 PM

Ok let us know if it worked. I wanna to do the same thing but with these leds

http://www.exledusa.com/6k-white-amb...m2-1-pair.html
Unless you're dead-set on using those particular bulbs, I'd recommend these:

http://www.vleds.com/6k-type-2-dual-...se-1-pair.html

I ordered the 5K and will put them in this weekend.
Old 09-25-2014, 05:53 PM

Ive considered vleds but they seem brighter than the low beams which i dont like. Anyway exled ones dont seem bad plus theyre kinda half price of vleds.

Anyway if you install it let me know if it is brighter or not than the low beams
Old 09-27-2014, 07:55 AM

Ive considered vleds but they seem brighter than the low beams which i dont like. Anyway exled ones dont seem bad plus theyre kinda half price of vleds.

Anyway if you install it let me know if it is brighter or not than the low beams
Is it possible to define brighter? The HID low beams are 4300k in temperature, and VLED only offers LED colors in the 5-6000k temperatures, so it is much more bluer when compared to the stock HIDs and may seem to be brighter.

OP, please tell us how the install goes and how you installed the resistors. I am planning to pick up the VLED Platinum amber ones (without switchbacks) to replace in the front. The wire splicing and brightness in direct sunlight is what concerns me.
Old 09-27-2014, 06:20 PM

Put in the Vleds switchbacks today. Lovin' 'em so far and the whites are VERY bright. As Daaavid said, they are a tad bluer than the low beams. I'll take some pictures later and post them.

The front resistors were a pain for me because I have a small garage and I wasn't feeling having to take off both wheels, pull back the panels and then work inside a small space with very little wiggle room or slack in the wiring. On top of that, I had to figure out where to mount the resistors so they would not touch anything plastic or other wiring.

I did the driver's side first and as bad luck would have it, I used the wrong green wire (green/yellow). The solid green is the correct one on the driver's side. On the passenger's side, it's the opposite. Don't ask me why. I had initially installed the resistors the day of the OP. So today, after I got both bulbs in and added a new fuse, I checked the lights and the driver's side parking light didn't light up but the turn signal worked. I checked the wiring to find that it had broken from when I did the original splice and had to remove it. Once I fixed that, all was good.

Thanks to Hamzer and Ghozt for their write-ups.

Now I just need to work on DRLs and getting my fogs to come on with the parking lights.
Old 09-28-2014, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by T200
Put in the Vleds switchbacks today. Lovin' 'em so far and the whites are VERY bright. As Daaavid said, they are a tad bluer than the low beams. I'll take some pictures later and post them.

The front resistors were a pain for me because I have a small garage and I wasn't feeling having to take off both wheels, pull back the panels and then work inside a small space with very little wiggle room or slack in the wiring. On top of that, I had to figure out where to mount the resistors so they would not touch anything plastic or other wiring.

I did the driver's side first and as bad luck would have it, I used the wrong green wire (green/yellow). The solid green is the correct one on the driver's side. On the passenger's side, it's the opposite. Don't ask me why. I had initially installed the resistors the day of the OP. So today, after I got both bulbs in and added a new fuse, I checked the lights and the driver's side parking light didn't light up but the turn signal worked. I checked the wiring to find that it had broken from when I did the original splice and had to remove it. Once I fixed that, all was good.

Thanks to Hamzer and Ghozt for their write-ups.

Now I just need to work on DRLs and getting my fogs to come on with the parking lights.
Pics would be great! I drove next to another Maxima the other night and the other driver had switchbacks installed. Looked nice, and gave them a thumbs up but it was probably way too dark for them to notice.

If it is possible to get some installation pictures, I would like to see them. I am probably going to get the amber ones only.