7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

Nexus 7 Tablet Install with integrated HVAC/Radio display

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2014, 09:53 AM

Nexus 7 Tablet Install with integrated HVAC/Radio display

I wanted to install a nexus 7 but i also wanted to be able to see the HVAC/Radio display. After a couple months of pondering the best way to go about this, i finally started the install a couple weekends ago and i just wanted to share the progress so far.

The nexus 7

and.. the HVAC/Radio displayed on the Nexus 7 in real-time

Modification to the Stereo Unit with HVAC/Radio display

Modified Stereo Unit with HVAC/Radio display installed inside of dash

This mod is pretty extensive but i can revert back to stock very easily if i ever wanted to. Also, i do lose access to the 6 disc CD-drive with this mod but who uses CD's nowadays?

I will be updating this thread once i fully complete the install.. hopefully before the end of the year

Last edited by 2012maximaS; 10-20-2014 at 02:43 PM.
Old 10-19-2014, 03:36 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Cant wait to see how to do this the Atari screen has to go
Old 10-19-2014, 06:27 PM

Very interested in this
Old 10-19-2014, 06:41 PM

Can you add some cameras to mix? Is the climate display actual or just superimposed at the moment?
Old 10-19-2014, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by Jam_Roc
Can you add some cameras to mix? Is the climate display actual or just superimposed at the moment?
I don't have a video to show it but the climate display on the nexus 7 is a live video stream from the original display. I am also looking into motion sensing activation so that if i change the temperature or radio station, the nexus 7 will pick up the motion in the original display and automatically open up the camera preview screen.
Old 10-19-2014, 10:27 PM

How is everything powered and connected for audio? What is the battery drain per hour on the Nexus during screen off and usage? Where is the AC unit stored? I am really interested in this. The loss of the CD player is no issue for me, but does that mean I would also lose the radio function? I would love to pick up a Nexus 7 and have it installed in my car, but I am still on the edge if I want to hack up my interior yet.
Old 10-20-2014, 12:07 AM

Looks great! I'm interested in how you got the real time hvac info on there. That's pretty amazing.
Old 10-20-2014, 11:32 AM

Looks good .. On YouTube somebody did the same and didn't lose any of stock features.. Still had the same radio display plus navigation .. Then would switch back to the tablet display
Old 10-20-2014, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by Daaavid
How is everything powered and connected for audio? What is the battery drain per hour on the Nexus during screen off and usage? Where is the AC unit stored? I am really interested in this. The loss of the CD player is no issue for me, but does that mean I would also lose the radio function? I would love to pick up a Nexus 7 and have it installed in my car, but I am still on the edge if I want to hack up my interior yet.

Nexus 7 is powered by a 12 to 5 volt DC converter with an add a fuse and all audio is through the aux port. When the car is powered down, the tablet also completely powers down so no battery drain. When the car powers on, the tablet senses the power and turns on automatically. All radio functions are still functional... not sure about what you mean by the AC unit storage?
Old 10-20-2014, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Shipwreck
Looks great! I'm interested in how you got the real time hvac info on there. That's pretty amazing.
The real time hvac info is basically through the nexus 7's rear camera. I modified both the nexus 7 and the location of the display so that there was enough room to do this. I will post pics up later of how it looks inside the dash.
Old 10-20-2014, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by 187max
Looks good .. On YouTube somebody did the same and didn't lose any of stock features.. Still had the same radio display plus navigation .. Then would switch back to the tablet display
Please link as i have not seen anyone else do this with an android or iOS tablet on the amber screen. I know of one guy who did it with his G37 with a tablet and used a RGB/VGA converter to send the original display data to the tablet. Unfortunately, that was only possible due to the fact that he had a color display with RGB inputs... The amber display does not have RGB inputs...

http://www.myg37.com/forums/audio-vi...nexus-7-a.html

Last edited by 2012maximaS; 10-20-2014 at 12:34 PM.
Old 10-20-2014, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by 2012maximaS
Please link as i have not seen anyone else do this with an android or iOS tablet on the amber screen. I know of one guy who did it with his G37 with a tablet and used a RGB/VGA converter to send the original display data to the tablet. Unfortunately, that was only possible due to the fact that he had a color display with RGB inputs... The amber display does not have RGB inputs...

http://www.myg37.com/forums/audio-vi...nexus-7-a.html
I think I posted a link or two last wk on somebody else's thread
Old 10-20-2014, 01:58 PM

This is not the exact link .. Somebody took it down this link is similar .. He had it working the same .. http://youtu.be/EI5i79ad58c
Old 10-20-2014, 02:22 PM

clever and impressive
Old 10-20-2014, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by 187max
This is not the exact link .. Somebody took it down this link is similar .. He had it working the same .. http://youtu.be/EI5i79ad58c
Thats not quite the same as what i'm doing. They are basically tacking on a GPS/multimedia player unit to the original color display. It isn't running android or IOS and cannot be installed if you have the amber display. Their kit also costs $1500...on amazon... and that's not including installation....

I prefer the nexus 7 and android because its a much higher resolution screen & faster processor with a lot of customization possibilities and many apps to choose from which allow for GPS, multimedia, voice commands, web browsing, and car monitoring apps like dashcommand or torquepro....A tablet also costs $200 which is a fraction of what they want to charge you.

Update: After doing some more searching, i did find out that they do make an android version but its still $1299 not including install and it doesn't work with the amber display.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJbiuBfHbwE
http://www.12voltnews.com/2014/06/23...issaninfiniti/

Last edited by 2012maximaS; 10-20-2014 at 02:57 PM.
Old 10-20-2014, 04:31 PM

Thats not quite the same as what i'm doing. They are basically tacking on a GPS/multimedia player unit to the original color display. It isn't running android or IOS and cannot be installed if you have the amber display. Their kit also costs $1500...on amazon... and that's not including installation....

I prefer the nexus 7 and android because its a much higher resolution screen & faster processor with a lot of customization possibilities and many apps to choose from which allow for GPS, multimedia, voice commands, web browsing, and car monitoring apps like dashcommand or torquepro....A tablet also costs $200 which is a fraction of what they want to charge you.

Update: After doing some more searching, i did find out that they do make an android version but its still $1299 not including install and it doesn't work with the amber display.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJbiuBfHbwE
http://www.12voltnews.com/2014/06/23...issaninfiniti/
$1500 ? That's crazy .. At point I rather put a tablet with a swivel stand that cost $30.00 .. Modify the stand as a slider and wire it ..
Old 10-20-2014, 05:14 PM

Nexus 7 is powered by a 12 to 5 volt DC converter with an add a fuse and all audio is through the aux port. When the car is powered down, the tablet also completely powers down so no battery drain. When the car powers on, the tablet senses the power and turns on automatically. All radio functions are still functional... not sure about what you mean by the AC unit storage?
I was referring to the climate control info, many have resorted to relocating it into the glovebox shelf. I see that you have it remounted so it is flat within the headunit. I am just wondering if it can be relocated elsewhere in case I need to actually view it. I am also wondering if the stock radio functions (FM/AM) is still operable? Lastly, if you have any pictures of the tablet installed with the converter and wiring visible I am interested. How easy it is to remove the tablet if I ever need to update it? If it requires the removal of the trim pieces, how easy is it to remove those? I don't want to have a creaking interior if I constantly have to remove and reinstall the pieces. Thanks!
Old 10-20-2014, 05:56 PM

I was referring to the climate control info, many have resorted to relocating it into the glovebox shelf. I see that you have it remounted so it is flat within the headunit. I am just wondering if it can be relocated elsewhere in case I need to actually view it. I am also wondering if the stock radio functions (FM/AM) is still operable? Lastly, if you have any pictures of the tablet installed with the converter and wiring visible I am interested. How easy it is to remove the tablet if I ever need to update it? If it requires the removal of the trim pieces, how easy is it to remove those? I don't want to have a creaking interior if I constantly have to remove and reinstall the pieces. Thanks!
Yes, you can relocate it but the whole point of mounting it the way i did was so that i could view it using the tablet's camera. All of the stock radio functions are still operable except for the cd player. Unfortunately, i do not have photos of the wiring and converter but will post it when everything is finished. The tablet is not easily removable unless you remove the trim but you can easily update it without removing anything by unplugging the usb cable to the power converter and plugging it into a laptop. Only firmware updates require you to have a computer, especially if you want to use a custom rom. All other updates for apps and stuff can be updated through wifi. I've removed and reinstalled the trim pieces multiple times now and everything is still solid with no creaking or rattling.
Old 10-20-2014, 08:04 PM

The real time hvac info is basically through the nexus 7's rear camera. I modified both the nexus 7 and the location of the display so that there was enough room to do this. I will post pics up later of how it looks inside the dash.
Heh, i had a feeling that was the case, but didn't want to jump the gun. Good thinking on that one! So I guess you have the Second gen Nexus 7.
Old 10-21-2014, 05:46 AM

Yes, you can relocate it but the whole point of mounting it the way i did was so that i could view it using the tablet's camera. All of the stock radio functions are still operable except for the cd player. Unfortunately, i do not have photos of the wiring and converter but will post it when everything is finished. The tablet is not easily removable unless you remove the trim but you can easily update it without removing anything by unplugging the usb cable to the power converter and plugging it into a laptop. Only firmware updates require you to have a computer, especially if you want to use a custom rom. All other updates for apps and stuff can be updated through wifi. I've removed and reinstalled the trim pieces multiple times now and everything is still solid with no creaking or rattling.
Perfect. I assumed you were using the tablet to view the climate control and stock radio functions after seeing the headunit itself. With the announcement of the Nexus 9, I wonder how much the current Nexus will drop or how long they'll be in stock. I'll need to get one soon. Where do you have the power converter for the USB located so it is accessible without removing the trim pieces? Thanks for documenting your process!
Old 10-21-2014, 06:33 AM

Perfect. I assumed you were using the tablet to view the climate control and stock radio functions after seeing the headunit itself. With the announcement of the Nexus 9, I wonder how much the current Nexus will drop or how long they'll be in stock. I'll need to get one soon. Where do you have the power converter for the USB located so it is accessible without removing the trim pieces? Thanks for documenting your process!
Yea... its a shame google has decided to discontinue the 7 inch tablets as they are the only ones that really fit. There are some alternatives such as the 7 inch Asus MeMo pad and i think some made by samsung. The power converter is located in the interior fuse box located near the OBDII port. I have a long usb cable running from the nexus 7 all the way to this location.
Old 10-21-2014, 06:35 PM

I think the new Galaxy Tab is a good contender. I'm hesitant though because some models have been known to lock up and shut off in the past (requiring them to be sent in). Nexus 7 works fine for now (using a Gen 1).
Old 10-21-2014, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by Shipwreck
I think the new Galaxy Tab is a good contender. I'm hesitant though because some models have been known to lock up and shut off in the past (requiring them to be sent in). Nexus 7 works fine for now (using a Gen 1).
I currently have the Galaxy Tab, although the Wi-Fi only model. I was planning to purchase the one with a SIM card access, but then it was the same price as Nexus so I held off. T-Mobile currently offers free data (500 MB/month) for tablets. That is enough for me to run Waze without turning on hotspot on my phone and stream music if I needed, despite T-Mobile offering free music streaming already.
Old 10-22-2014, 10:36 AM

Just another option:

If anybody knows somewhere around Indianapolis that hydro dips please let me know. The textured paint isn't doing it for me anymore.

Last edited by mjhuffer; 10-22-2014 at 10:57 AM.