7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Google Maps Voice thru speakers?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 11:37 AM

Google Maps Voice thru speakers?

Ok, I have a 09 Maxima SV, I have Bluetooth in the car but I guess in 09 there was no Bluetooth audio. I had a IPhone 5 and when I got directions on Google Maps the voice prompts would play thru my car Bluetooth. I recently switched to Android (Sony Xperia Z3V) and now the Google Maps voice prompts will not play thru the car speakers?
Anyone else have this problem and knows a fix?

Thanx
Old 11-03-2014, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by seesole
Ok, I have a 09 Maxima SV, I have Bluetooth in the car but I guess in 09 there was no Bluetooth audio. I had a IPhone 5 and when I got directions on Google Maps the voice prompts would play thru my car Bluetooth. I recently switched to Android (Sony Xperia Z3V) and now the Google Maps voice prompts will not play thru the car speakers?
Anyone else have this problem and knows a fix?

Thanx
I don't believe anything other than my phone calls have ever played through my speakers, unless I had my phone connected with an auxillary cable.
Old 11-03-2014, 11:59 AM

Try Waze.

Maybe it's a setting in your phone that you will need to turn on. I have an Iphone and in the Waze settings I turned that feature on and it works like a charm.
Old 11-03-2014, 12:01 PM

If you go into the settings for the bluetooth pair for your car, do you see an option to enable anything other than phone calls? Screenshot attached for reference of what I see on my phone - Note I do not have Navigation, just phone call bluetooth integration.
Attached Thumbnails Google Maps Voice thru speakers?-screenshot_android.jpg  
Old 11-04-2014, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by j_dubb
If you go into the settings for the bluetooth pair for your car, do you see an option to enable anything other than phone calls? Screenshot attached for reference of what I see on my phone - Note I do not have Navigation, just phone call bluetooth integration.

Yes I have the same menu and I have it checked, I tried to uncheck it and it gets rid of Bluetooth connection to the car.
Old 11-04-2014, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by catalinvint
Try Waze.

Maybe it's a setting in your phone that you will need to turn on. I have an Iphone and in the Waze settings I turned that feature on and it works like a charm.
Where do you go to find Waze setting, is it in the general settings? Bluetooth?
Old 11-04-2014, 08:49 AM

Also make sure your media volume is all the way up. Android has three different sound settings in the sound/volumes settings. Google Maps audio works through the music and videos setting I'm pretty sure. My tablet which runs through an aftermarket head unit plays the google maps sounds through the stereo but I have the bluetooth settings to media only.
Old 11-04-2014, 08:57 AM

Since the car navigation is pretty useless unless you have exact address and even then is a pain to type it all in I use my iphone most of the time. But I have a problem of hearing the commands through PHONE CALL instead of the normal audio. It looks like the line was busy with something else. It is annoying like hell. Anyone had this problem and have any tips? Sorry for hijacking topic but don't want to start a second thread for almost the same issue.
Old 11-04-2014, 09:31 AM

From what I can tell the issues mentioned here really depend on the Navigation software you are using... Like I use waze and it has no problems lowering the music and saying directions while i'm listening to music... Waze is the best. Assiduous what do you mean by PHONE CALL???
Old 11-04-2014, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by zoemayne
From what I can tell the issues mentioned here really depend on the Navigation software you are using... Like I use waze and it has no problems lowering the music and saying directions while i'm listening to music... Waze is the best. Assiduous what do you mean by PHONE CALL???

I suspect that the issue is the way that the Android Operating System sends Google Maps (perhaps all GPS applications) audio to the car. In my experience it's always done so via the "Music / Other Media" audio output from the phone - which if you've only got the Phone Bluetooth support in the car, isn't going to play over the bluetooth audio.

He indicated that previously the google maps audio had played over the car's bluetooth with his iPhone, so I suspect that perhaps the iOS sends the audio differently....though I am making some assumptions here as some of this information was never clearly supplied.
Old 11-04-2014, 10:23 AM

The 09 only supports the phone profile. You need a 2010 and above to play anything else thru Bluetooth.
Old 11-04-2014, 10:47 AM

It's an app. Download it from the Play store. It's free. It's pretty much the best navigation app.
Old 11-04-2014, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by j_dubb
I suspect that the issue is the way that the Android Operating System sends Google Maps (perhaps all GPS applications) audio to the car. In my experience it's always done so via the "Music / Other Media" audio output from the phone - which if you've only got the Phone Bluetooth support in the car, isn't going to play over the bluetooth audio.

He indicated that previously the google maps audio had played over the car's bluetooth with his iPhone, so I suspect that perhaps the iOS sends the audio differently....though I am making some assumptions here as some of this information was never clearly supplied.

I was thinking the same thing myself! I've tried everything else other than downloading a different app. Oh well, thanx!
Old 11-05-2014, 06:38 AM

Go to settings and turn of "Play sounds through speakers" then check Prefer Bluetooth.
That works for me.
Old 11-05-2014, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by zoemayne
well I am playing some music from pandora, that by the way TURNS ON BY ITSELF AGAINST MY GOOD WILL EVERY TIME, and then when next turn comes and google maps sends me a voice direction, i get the PHONE CALL screen and voice sounds weird. I can HANG UP and the other phone call menu options.
And why does pandora turn on by itself every time i switch to bluetooth? I switch to bluetooth just to hear the google maps voice instructions. I on purpose shut down Pandora before i did that. Somehow the car OPENS pandora, and starts playing it. I find that incredibly intrusive because i have to stop it every time and my phone may be in the pocket, but you cant stop pandora from the navi menu or the steering wheel.
One time I got so angry i uninstalled pandora, but later installed it again because i am premium member and all my radio stations are there and sound quality is really good if you are premium
Old 11-11-2014, 11:56 AM

I found a FIX for THIS!!!!
I returned my Sony and got the new IPhone 6!! I was having a few issues that I really didn't want to deal with!