7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ran over a tree. Could have been way worse.

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 09:40 AM

Ran over a tree. Could have been way worse.

Driving in the dark the other day and the car passing me flashed his lights. Before I could process, it was either swerve into traffic, run off the road, or run over a downed pine tree. Luckily my air bags didn't go off and knock me out and make it all worse. Amazingly, I only got a small dent in the hood and I think I can make it without any body work.

Here is the mirror, I think maybe I can salvage it. I went back and found the cover but its in two pieces and all scratched up.

At first I thought I got lucky and it was all cosmetic. That's when I noticed the windshield resevoir was cracked. I can live with that though, I thought.

Of course that is when I then noticed the stick in the radiator. I did not have any in my drive so apparently it ran out on the drive home. I haven't added more yet but surely it is leaking. The resevoir is empty.

The fog light was dangling but this one was still in tact so I detached it and tucked the cable up in the bumper (what is left of it).

So here is the big issue, someone stole my side by side, my four wheeler and my car hauler a month or two ago and I really don't want to turn this in on insurance.

I have found lots of bumpers on ebay but none that are off a salvage and already painted. If i could find a painted bumper (java metallic) it sure would help my situation. Also, all the plastics are ripped off of the bottom of the front as well as the wheel well on the passenger side.

So- any recommendations on how to go about this and get it all fixed for a reasonable price without insurance.

I worry I need to get that mirror cover on or at least cover it in plastic in case it rains. The led lights are busted and it doesnt work. All other signals work.

Any ideas where to find parts that are already painted?

Thanks!

Dom

Also- how did my airbags not go off when I was going 50 when all of this happened? Glad they didn't!

Old 11-04-2014, 09:59 AM

Man, I'm terribly sorry this happened to you, but it's a good thing it wasn't any worse.

I suspect the reason that your airbags didn't deploy was simply because there wasn't enough force sensed by the electronics to give them a reason to deploy. Had you been going 50mph, slammed on the brakes and hit something and come to an abrupt stop only then would they have had a legitimate reason to deploy.
Old 11-04-2014, 11:32 AM

I experienced a hydroplaning accident in 2010 in my 03 Maxima and I initially opted to forego insurance, because we had filed 2 different claims just a month earlier. The unseen damage underneath was more than I anticipated and I eventually filed a third claim.

Getting your own parts and doing the work yourself is fine but sometimes you have to get the work done by the pro's. With the damage to your radiator and other little parts underneath I'm sure your insurance will understand, especially once they read the police report.

My car btw, had no visible body damage, it had a severely bent rear axle, 2 bent rims, and a broken speed sensor. My total cost to repair it was $2500, which was paid by my insurance.

My rates didn't increase and because the work was quality I sold the car 2 years later with no reduction in price due to the accident.

Last edited by Maxgig; 11-04-2014 at 01:33 PM. Reason: spelling correction
Old 11-04-2014, 11:46 AM

A police officer came by when I was looking at the damage and he said there was no need to file a report since another vehicle was not involved.

My insurance agent is a friend- she is the on that told me they would probably cancel me if I turned this in right after all of that theft stuff. It stinks but that seems to be how they operate- two things I have no control over and BAM- cancelled.

Hopefully my damage isn't as bad what you experienced but I do plan to take it and get a couple of estimates before I do anything. If I can fix it for around $1000 I'd rather do that then mess with the insurance and $500 deductible.

I may end up just claiming it anyway. Luckily I have a truck I can drive until I figure it out.

Originally Posted by Maxgig
I experienced a hydroplaning accident in 2010 in my 03 Maxima and I initially opted to forego insurance, because we had filed 2 different claims just a month earlier. The unseen damage underneath was more than I anticipated and I eventually filed a third claim.

Getting your own parts and doing the work yourself is fine but sometimes you have to get the work done by the pro's. With the damage to your radiator and other little parts underneath I'm sure your insurance will understand, especially once they read the police report.

My car btw, had no visible body damage, it had a severely bent rear axle, 2 bent rims, and a broken speed sensor. My total cost to repair it was $2500, which was paid by my insurance.

My rates didn't increase and because the work was quality I sold the car 2 years later with no harm done from the addicent.
Old 11-04-2014, 11:48 AM

If I do file the claim, I do have a decent dent in my hood that I know would make it a much more expensive fix. I am grateful the sides of the car aren't completely scraped. I went back the other day and found the tree- it's about 8 inches in diameter.
Old 11-04-2014, 12:15 PM

Dang this sucks. Check your local auto salvage yards if you have any. I know youre going through alot right now. What do we pay insurance for if they wont assist? You had alot taken from you and they shouldnt hold it against you or cancel you for something thats not your fault. I hit a deer years ago when i lived in Ohio and there was alot of unforseen damage underneath(not to my max this was a diff. Car). Who knows what the impact truly did to other parts that you wont notice or feel for years. I know you hate it, but id file another claim. Tell em itll be your last.
Old 11-04-2014, 04:18 PM

Glad that you're ok. These types of situations are what make me ill towards insurance companies.

Personally, I'd file the claim and have them pay for it. That's the reason you've been paying your premiums, right? These companies are fine taking customers' money but as soon as you file a claim or two, then they want to drop you.

Meanwhile, I'd be shopping for a new insurance company while my car is being repaired.

Good luck to you
Old 11-04-2014, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by dtortor1
A police officer came by when I was looking at the damage and he said there was no need to file a report since another vehicle was not involved.

My insurance agent is a friend- she is the on that told me they would probably cancel me if I turned this in right after all of that theft stuff. It stinks but that seems to be how they operate- two things I have no control over and BAM- cancelled.

Hopefully my damage isn't as bad what you experienced but I do plan to take it and get a couple of estimates before I do anything. If I can fix it for around $1000 I'd rather do that then mess with the insurance and $500 deductible.

I may end up just claiming it anyway. Luckily I have a truck I can drive until I figure it out.
Dont be afraid of your insurance canceling you... thats kind of ridiculous for them to cancel you for legit incidents. If they cancel you than "you werent in good hands" !@#$ happens!

The bottom part that protects your car is about $30 dollars from the dealer.. It attaches to the bumper.
Old 11-04-2014, 04:59 PM

That really sucks!

Long story short I was basically ****** by someone that purposely caused an accident and I ended up rolling into a brand-new Dodge Dart. Dodge dart was unharmed other than the bottom plastic piece popping out and a tiny crack in the bumper.

My car had a dented hood, broken bumper, and the rear clip on my headlight was broken. With the hood being fixed (small dent), replacing the bumper & headlight it came to $3200 basically. I guess what I'm getting at is hood dents are expensive and you might want to go through insurance.
Old 11-05-2014, 06:37 AM

Yeah- I was gonna live with the hood dent if I could get by doing this on my own but I don't have the time and as people have mentioned before, there may be other problems I won't even know about until I drive the car more. I guess ALFA is just gonna have to cancel me if that's how they roll- their premiums are ridiculous anyway.

I will say that they paid extremely well for my claim for all of my stolen toys but I can probably get a penalty rate from other companies cheaper than my rate from ALFA.

Thanks for the help.

Just wish I could have done something different but the last thing you expect is a tree in the road at ten o clock at night. I get off early tomorrow so I will have time to take it around for estimates.

If the coolant doesn't just pour out and it's a slow leak will it be ok to drive for a few miles to a few body shops? Maybe I should just call insurance and have them tow it.

Originally Posted by Jprocs24
That really sucks!

Long story short I was basically ****** by someone that purposely caused an accident and I ended up rolling into a brand-new Dodge Dart. Dodge dart was unharmed other than the bottom plastic piece popping out and a tiny crack in the bumper.

My car had a dented hood, broken bumper, and the rear clip on my headlight was broken. With the hood being fixed (small dent), replacing the bumper & headlight it came to $3200 basically. I guess what I'm getting at is hood dents are expensive and you might want to go through insurance.
Old 11-05-2014, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by dtortor1
Yeah- I was gonna live with the hood dent if I could get by doing this on my own but I don't have the time and as people have mentioned before, there may be other problems I won't even know about until I drive the car more. I guess ALFA is just gonna have to cancel me if that's how they roll- their premiums are ridiculous anyway.

I will say that they paid extremely well for my claim for all of my stolen toys but I can probably get a penalty rate from other companies cheaper than my rate from ALFA.

Thanks for the help.

Just wish I could have done something different but the last thing you expect is a tree in the road at ten o clock at night. I get off early tomorrow so I will have time to take it around for estimates.

If the coolant doesn't just pour out and it's a slow leak will it be ok to drive for a few miles to a few body shops? Maybe I should just call insurance and have them tow it.
Have your car towed. Once you pressurize the radiator it will leak really bad. Why chance it.

I can't believe insurance companies still require three bids. I've had two accidents in the last 25 years and neither of them required any bids. I picked who I wanted to do the repairs and it was paid for by insurance.
Old 11-06-2014, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by Richard66
Have your car towed. Once you pressurize the radiator it will leak really bad. Why chance it.

I can't believe insurance companies still require three bids. I've had two accidents in the last 25 years and neither of them required any bids. I picked who I wanted to do the repairs and it was paid for by insurance.
I don't think I'm required to get multiple bids- I was just gonna take it around and get an estimate before I decide to file the claim. But it looks like I'm gonna have to file it.
Old 11-07-2014, 06:58 AM

Took it by the body shop last night. He said hitting someting that hard and fast, I better claim it bc there could be problems with the suspension or control arms. So I filed the claim from the parking lot and left the car.

This way the hood dents and mirror and everything will be fixed back to like new I hope. It was actually the air conditioner compressor that had the stick through it.
Old 11-07-2014, 09:21 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Sorry this happened to you. I think going through your insurance was the way to go.

One thing.....If your coolant reservoir is empty, and the radiator is not damaged, take a look to make sure that the head gaskets are not leaking.