7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody else have issues with shops refusing to install the Y pipe?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 03:19 PM

Anybody else have issues with shops refusing to install the Y pipe?

I called to confirm my appointment to have the Y pipe and AAM exhaust installed. Then the guy asked if it removed any Cats and then said they could not do it when I told him it removed the third un metered cat. Every shop I have called says the same thing, grr. I don't have the ability to do it myself especially since the Y pipe needs to be shortened by an inch to fit with the AAM. So frustrated right now....
Old 03-05-2015, 03:45 PM

I guess for now I will just have the AAM installed and then find a local shop to modify the Y pipe and have my father help me put it on later this spring. I wonder why they decided to delete the third cat for the Y pipe?
Old 03-05-2015, 04:50 PM

Where are you located?

I would show up rather than calling ahead.
Old 03-05-2015, 05:08 PM

The middle of no where, Omaha lol.
Old 03-05-2015, 05:13 PM

Very odd. Although, I found a place right around the corner from me that's willing to do y pipes, cats, everything cat back, but not headers lol.
Old 03-05-2015, 06:00 PM

Just go in and ask
Old 03-06-2015, 06:42 AM

Well I asked around and I made an appointment at a place that I was told was good and might put the Y pipe on as well, I just made an appointment for the AAM and didn't mention the Y pipe on the phone. Worst comes to worst I will ask them to modify the Y pipe for me and then I should be able to put it on later this week with a little help.
Old 03-06-2015, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by Bossman150
I wonder why they decided to delete the third cat for the Y pipe?
Price.
But remember the benefit of the RL y-pipe over stock is it's increased exhaust flow. Couldn't imagine them adding a green or HFC or any Cat for that matter, kinda defeats the whole purpose.
Old 03-06-2015, 03:28 PM

I had real high quality HF cats on my mustang, we dyno'd with and without, only lost 3hp
Old 03-06-2015, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by official_style
I had real high quality HF cats on my mustang, we dyno'd with and without, only lost 3hp
Right, but with this y-pipe that 3hp could equal 25% or so of the claimed HP if I remember correctly.
Old 03-06-2015, 04:05 PM

Exactly, the y pipe would be pointless if it had a cat. I was just saying high flow cats are actually pretty good nowadays
Old 03-06-2015, 05:11 PM

Well I went to the place and the guy said he would install the Y pipe as long as his boss didn't show up before it was done. He did . So he installed the AAM exhaust and cut and welded the Y pipe for me. I thought it was odd the way he did the weld though, I hope it won't cause issues with it fitting. He cut it, expanded the piece he cut enough to fit the needed inch of the other end inside the piece he cut and then welded it that way. He said that would ensure they would be no leaks. Does anybody think that extra width on the Y pipe will create any issues? He did it in the straight part near to the end.

As far as the AAM exhaust goes, it sounded great outside the car when he started it up and revved it. When I got inside though I was a little shocked at how loud it is, things even rattle a bit. There is a lot of drone at low speeds from about 1.5k rpm to 2500 or so, and of course I drive 80 miles a day at about 73mph which puts the car at 2.2k lol. I will keep it as is for a while but I might end up having to change something to tone it down a bit.

Edit: forgot to mention the right side tip hangs about 1/4 to 1/2 inch lower than the left, the guy said its because the right drivers side rear exhaust hanger is worn out, and it does look like the little rubber piece is in very poor shape when compared to the left side. Anybody know an easy place I can order that piece without having to go through Nissan?

Last edited by Bossman150; 03-06-2015 at 05:28 PM.
Old 03-06-2015, 05:38 PM

Amazon or eBay will be your friend in that situation.

But yeah as far as the AAM goes, from the looks of it, doesn't it delete the resonator and use just a straight pipe for that section? That would explain the extra noise, we'll that and the fact it uses circle mufflers which are typically louder than their oval counterparts.

The AAM is too rich for my blood so I'll be going with the megan bt exhaust. Lol

The sound might get slightly louder when you install the ypipe though
Old 03-06-2015, 08:05 PM

He did the right thing by expanding the pipe as a fitting before welding. He probably only expanded it just enough to slide the pipe in so no it's not going to make a difference but will help ensure you don't get an exhaust leak as quickly in that spot as the weld are more prone to rusting and corroding than the pipe itself. If there is room for a resonator you could always add one if the drone or noise is a little too much for your likeing and as for a rubber hanger you could get one at almost any aftermarket parts store. Heck im suprised the exhaust shop didn't just replace the worn one for you. Im sure they would have if you had asked.
Old 03-06-2015, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by ac max 92
He did the right thing by expanding the pipe as a fitting before welding. He probably only expanded it just enough to slide the pipe in so no it's not going to make a difference but will help ensure you don't get an exhaust leak as quickly in that spot as the weld are more prone to rusting and corroding than the pipe itself. If there is room for a resonator you could always add one if the drone or noise is a little too much for your likeing and as for a rubber hanger you could get one at almost any aftermarket parts store. Heck im suprised the exhaust shop didn't just replace the worn one for you. Im sure they would have if you had asked.
Thanks, glad to hear that was the correct way to do the weld. For the hangar they told me I would probably have to get one from Nissan. So far I have not found one online, I don't know really what to search for except exhaust hanger, is there something else it might be called?

Edit I found the part # 20651JN00A, looks like it might cost the same from my dealer or to order online because of shipping costs. I will check and see if my deal happens to have one in stock.

Last edited by Bossman150; 03-06-2015 at 09:09 PM.
Old 03-07-2015, 01:59 AM

Originally Posted by Ross2893
Amazon or eBay will be your friend in that situation.

But yeah as far as the AAM goes, from the looks of it, doesn't it delete the resonator and use just a straight pipe for that section? That would explain the extra noise, we'll that and the fact it uses circle mufflers which are typically louder than their oval counterparts.

The AAM is too rich for my blood so I'll be going with the megan bt exhaust. Lol

The sound might get slightly louder when you install the ypipe though
I agree with you regarding the AAM setup. It's quality but can't justify $1400+ install once everything is said n done. I'll be going to Megan route as well but from the videos I've seen online it appears to be louder than the aam. Have you heard either in person?
OP-glad you got your exhaust installed but your state must have some really strict emissions laws. Post some pictures and video when you get a chance.
Old 03-07-2015, 05:34 AM

Yeah I will post some pics once I get the hanger fixed, I am too **** to post pics with one side lower then the other lol.
Old 03-07-2015, 04:12 PM

I drove it quite a bit today. The Drone at highway speeds is really overwhelming, I am surprised that everyone says the drone is minimal, mine is really bad. Once I switched to the interstate and hit about 76-77mph then it sounded amazing, just the perfect background tone yet still sounds powerful and ready to go. I might have to switch routes on my commute to the Interstate instead of the highway so for at least 40 of the 80 miles a day I am not in the really loud zone.

Just curious, is there anything they could have done with the install to mess up the sound? I know it might be a dumb question, but I noticed today one tip is sticking out about 3/4 of an inch more than the other, so just wondering if there is something else he might have missed.
Old 03-07-2015, 08:52 PM

I drove it quite a bit today. The Drone at highway speeds is really overwhelming, I am surprised that everyone says the drone is minimal, mine is really bad. Once I switched to the interstate and hit about 76-77mph then it sounded amazing, just the perfect background tone yet still sounds powerful and ready to go. I might have to switch routes on my commute to the Interstate instead of the highway so for at least 40 of the 80 miles a day I am not in the really loud zone.

Just curious, is there anything they could have done with the install to mess up the sound? I know it might be a dumb question, but I noticed today one tip is sticking out about 3/4 of an inch more than the other, so just wondering if there is something else he might have missed.

That 3/4 of an inch isn't going to make things that much louder. Sounds like you need to have a resonator installed if the original one was removed and not re installed.
Old 03-07-2015, 09:14 PM

AAM is known for being loud.
You are going to have to instal a resonator.
Based on the cost of the AAM, I would probably chop a section from the RL pipe.
Old 03-07-2015, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by MaximaDrvr
AAM is known for being loud.
You are going to have to instal a resonator.
Based on the cost of the AAM, I would probably chop a section from the RL pipe.
Yeah, I will see how it goes for as long as I can. I really don't want to add one, I love the sound but just not sure I can handle it since I am in the car so much. I am hoping I will just get used to it, my kids love it.
Old 03-07-2015, 09:40 PM

This review has really brought me some important insight on this exhaust. Thank you for that. But yes a bad install can cause it to be louder if you have leaks in the pipe connections.
Old 03-08-2015, 03:10 PM

Any exhaust leak will cause more noise but if it's an all new exhaust there shouldn't be any leaks and as for a bad install maybe if the welds were no good then yes. Have it checked and if you have no leaks and the noise is too much for you have a resonator installed. By installing one you not going to quiet it down to the point of stock after installing a performance exhaust. It will tone it down. Otherwise if you were going for a louder exhaust then you must have known what you were getting into.
Old 03-08-2015, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by ac max 92
Any exhaust leak will cause more noise but if it's an all new exhaust there shouldn't be any leaks and as for a bad install maybe if the welds were no good then yes. Have it checked and if you have no leaks and the noise is too much for you have a resonator installed. By installing one you not going to quiet it down to the point of stock after installing a performance exhaust. It will tone it down. Otherwise if you were going for a louder exhaust then you must have known what you were getting into.
Well I "thought" I knew what I was getting into lol. I had a 95 GT Mustang with straight pipes and it was not this loud in the cabin. It was much louder outside, but this is much louder inside in that rpm range under load then any car I have owned. If only I could get the sound at 2600rpm or so at 2-2.5k I would be thrilled. It also still might be something I can get used too, I have not had anything but factory exhaust in my last 3-4 cars. It does sound amazing at idle too, I would hate to lose that.
Old 03-08-2015, 05:08 PM

Well I "thought" I knew what I was getting into lol. I had a 95 GT Mustang with straight pipes and it was not this loud in the cabin. It was much louder outside, but this is much louder inside in that rpm range under load then any car I have owned. If only I could get the sound at 2600rpm or so at 2-2.5k I would be thrilled. It also still might be something I can get used too, I have not had anything but factory exhaust in my last 3-4 cars. It does sound amazing at idle too, I would hate to lose that.
You might want to check what kind of resonator options there are for you that wont compromise the sound you want but enough to tone it down a tad and help with the drone. Even with a resonator you'd probably still have a nice tone at idle but perhaps somebody who has done a similar install with resonator can chime in and give you a little more input.
Old 03-10-2015, 05:25 AM

I have been driving for a few days now and I think I figured out what my problem was. I should have realized it but I didn't. The last week or so I have had a cold and my ears/head were kinda full of crud. So when I was hearing the exhaust for the first couple of days my ears already had extra pressure from the cold. Yesterday my head was completely clear for the first time and the drone was not near as annoying. I think the cold made me think it was louder and more annoying than it actually was. I still might consider a resonator in the future, maybe before summer vacation if I am still noticing drone but by then I might not even notice it.