7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

Colored Screen for 2013 Maxima

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 08:01 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Colored Screen for 2013 Maxima

Hey guys, I just bought a 2013 Maxima but it doesn't have the nav package. I was looking on ebay and i see that people are selling the display screen with navigation. My question is that can i get the display screen on ebay and just replace the regular orange one I have. would that work? I'm new to this so I want to make sure before I do anything. I just don't like the orange screen I have now and want to put something nicer in.
Old 03-10-2015, 08:24 PM

Navigation itself is built deep into the car. You won't get that by swapping a screen. Also, the controls are different for those with the amber display and those with the full color display, which means there are also differences in wiring.

I think some people have come up with workarounds to retrofit a color display, but I know it's not easy. And the navigation is a definite no-go.
Old 03-10-2015, 09:24 PM

You're better off installing a tablet of some sort. Our OEM color screen is really pointless.
Old 03-11-2015, 05:19 AM

theres a few posts on this, i always put in my 2 cents on the mod I did being i felt the same as you, 2013 with orange screen and I wanted it more modern so I installed nexus 7 tablet and moved the HVAC controls into my glove box in front of the passenger seat

Old 03-11-2015, 08:28 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I think what brichi did to his ride is the way to go in your situation.

Nicely done brichi!
Old 03-18-2015, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by brichi
theres a few posts on this, i always put in my 2 cents on the mod I did being i felt the same as you, 2013 with orange screen and I wanted it more modern so I installed nexus 7 tablet and moved the HVAC controls into my glove box in front of the passenger seat

Can you still listen to music? And if you wanna add music how would you do it? Does bluetooth still work?
Old 03-18-2015, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by xbenbendx
Can you still listen to music? And if you wanna add music how would you do it? Does bluetooth still work?
yes i can still listen to music, lol

The new radio has bluetooth and all built in along with AUX in on the back so the nexus tablet plugs into the aux in for audio when needed, otherwise I use the new radio for tuner and XM. you can stream the audio via bluetooth also but when a video/movie would play there would be a slight delay and the lips would be off from the words so i ran the 1/8" to AUX in and it works great

I ran the USB cable into the center console for power and left slack so if I want to add music i plug it right into my laptop and upload
Old 03-19-2015, 07:22 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Brichi, just curious as to a few things with your install. What exactly does your on/off switch control? I have pretty much the same setup with a nexus and A/C controls in glove compartment. One of my biggest problems has been with charging. My current head unit has 2 1.5 Amp USB's, which "charge" the tablet while driving (but its actually discharging faster than it is charging, so I lose battery power). How do you have this set up? Currently I just plug the USB plug for the tablet into a 2.1 Amp USB charger located in the center console until it is fully charged, then it takes about 1-2 weeks before I need to charge it back up. Any ideas?
Old 03-19-2015, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by Burgtoad67
Brichi, just curious as to a few things with your install.

What exactly does your on/off switch control?
The on/off of the tablet in case it powers down and I need to turn it back on

I have pretty much the same setup with a nexus and A/C controls in glove compartment. One of my biggest problems has been with charging. My current head unit has 2 1.5 Amp USB's, which "charge" the tablet while driving (but its actually discharging faster than it is charging, so I lose battery power). How do you have this set up? Currently I just plug the USB plug for the tablet into a 2.1 Amp USB charger located in the center console until it is fully charged, then it takes about 1-2 weeks before I need to charge it back up. Any ideas?
I bought a more powerful 5v 2.1amp and replaced the one in the center console with it, never have issues now with charging

Amazon.com: XYZ Boat Supplies Dual USB Charger Socket for Boat / Rv / Car / Motor-home (Black): Sports & Outdoors Amazon.com: XYZ Boat Supplies Dual USB Charger Socket for Boat / Rv / Car / Motor-home (Black): Sports & Outdoors

Old 03-19-2015, 08:03 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by brichi
The on/off of the tablet in case it powers down and I need to turn it back on
Can I ask how you wired this up? I've had a few occasions where an app or something will turn the screen off, and it would be great to be able to turn it back on.
Old 03-19-2015, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by Burgtoad67
Can I ask how you wired this up? I've had a few occasions where an app or something will turn the screen off, and it would be great to be able to turn it back on.
if you are good with soldering then it is easy, i opened up the tablet, popped the main board out and solder wires to the on/off switches 2 contacts. Then ran the wires outside of iy and closed the tablet back up. then i extended the wires all the way to the side of the steering wheel and soldered them to a tact switch i had laying around from doing a repair on dj equipment

Old 05-25-2015, 04:44 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Color screen

Originally Posted by ThinBlue82
You're better off installing a tablet of some sort. Our OEM color screen is really pointless.
Can ac be displayed on color screen if you have mono chromematic one?