7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spoiler Install insights

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2015, 08:16 AM

Spoiler Install insights

I'm sure this is old hat for most members but thought I'd post the few insights I had...

Bought a spoiler off Amazon for ~$100...awesome price...ABS plastic, super black paint matched great (not a tough color though). The instructions are decent, but lacked a few details that would have helped a never-had-done-it guy like myself. Ended up doing generic searches on spoiler installs which helped.

Didn't really have an idea of how the 'locating strips' were supposed to work...well...they come with some tape around the center hole which you line up on the screw holes on the spoiler, and when you dry fit the spoiler, the strips extend beyond the top and bottom of the spoiler. Tape them heavily where they stick out, and then gently lift off the spoiler leaving the locating strips in place. With the slight low spot right before the trunk turns down, I then added more tape to ensure the strips were flush with the trunk. My 'kit' had one strip shorted, so I cut some heavy paper into a strip like the others and used painters tape rolled into a small cylinder so it stuck to the spoiler and the trunk.

Drilling the holes was pretty straightforward.

I removed the trunk lid liner, and loosened the left trunk liner and roof liner so I could get behind them, and ran the brake light wire through the support metal in the lid over to the rubber conduit that leads to the trunk area. For me getting the wire by itself through that conduit wasn't working so I used a long, heavy zip tie as a 'fisher'. Worked the zip tie through the conduit, looped the wire through the end of the zip tie, then drug the wire through. Once in the trunk area I popped the 3rd brake light (just pry up with a flat head screwdriver), found the round metal hole from trunk to car's interior and ran the wire up through it. I used the wire taps that came with the spoiler which were finicky but worked after the 3rd try. Yeah, I have four brake lights now, but I'm not too concerned about it.

Took me a couple of hours being my first time, but really happy to have broken up the bulbous trunk lid.

And plasti-dipped my grille!

Old 07-05-2015, 08:25 AM

Looks great! Im debating on plasti dipping my grill and badges as well.
Old 07-05-2015, 09:30 AM

Good job, looks great
Old 07-09-2015, 07:45 PM

Anyone have tips on how to put on the roof spoiler? Just got mine and it doesn't quite bend up properly to the lines of the rear windshield
Old 07-10-2015, 01:19 PM

I just let mine sit in the sun for a little to make it more pliable then just fitted it to the car. Mines gloss black to match the panoramic roof so it heated up rather well and was easy to shape it properly. Prep the surface well and you should be fine mine is holding just fine after a year.
Start in the middle and work out to the ends its nice to have another set of hands one on each side of car. Once it's stuck its stuck so get it right first time
Old 07-10-2015, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by 2011maximapa
I just let mine sit in the sun for a little to make it more pliable then just fitted it to the car. Mines gloss black to match the panoramic roof so it heated up rather well and was easy to shape it properly. Prep the surface well and you should be fine mine is holding just fine after a year. Start in the middle and work out to the ends its nice to have another set of hands one on each side of car. Once it's stuck its stuck so get it right first time
ok thanks! Found a vid on YouTube as well
Old 07-10-2015, 02:08 PM

What about car washes? Do you or have u used a drive thru car wash with it on?
Old 07-10-2015, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by fame126
My car does not go thru automatic car washes ever. So I can't speak to them and what damage to the roof spoiler it may it may not do. Not to mention to the rest of the car. Even if u have to find a self serve spray and go car wash do it yourself if u go at the right time of day u can bucket wash without drama. The drive thru ones are so bad in so many ways. But maybe I'm just very **** about my ride. F the maybe I am.

Last edited by 2011maximapa; 07-10-2015 at 11:24 PM.
Old 07-11-2015, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by fame126
I installed the factory spoiler on my 2010, 90% of the time I use only touch less washes but a few times I went thru a regular car wash when the touch less was backed up...I never once had an issue. And I don't see these spoilers ever having a issue really with coming loose because it's secured with bolts. Also never showed any signs of leaking as I always inspected it after any wash