7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

Question about 48000 km service

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2015, 01:42 PM

Question about 48000 km service

Hello all I bought my 2011 Nissan Maxima at the dealership at 39k kms on it now it's at 50k kms I got a letter from the dealership saying that my vehicle is due for the 48000 km service now my question is is this service really that important because the price is close to $300 cad the service includes the following

Rotate tires
Lubricate all locks latches and hinges
Replace engine oil and filter
Replace break fluid
Replace differential oil
Replace air filter
Replace in cabin microfilter

And a bunch of inspections

Plz let me know if this is a must do or not plz and thanks
Old 11-03-2015, 03:24 PM

Noones got any input in what I'm asking here
Old 11-03-2015, 05:36 PM

The oil and filter might be required depending on the last interval. The brake fluid should be done every 2 years. The differential oil? not likely for a Maxima.

The only item that you must do to maintain your powertrain warranty is the engine oil & filter, the rest is up to you, but if the brake fluid is the original stuff, I'd be doing that service.
Old 11-04-2015, 06:22 AM

Most of those things sound about right, but a lot of them you can do yourself and save a lot of money.

For the cabin and engine air filters, they are very easy to replace yourself for a fraction of the cost that the dealer will charge you. Check out rockauto.com, it's where I get all my filters (air and oil) for only a couple of bucks each. Good products too. And those only take a couple of minutes to replace each and will no doubt give you significant savings. Engine filter should be changed every 12-24k miles (19-38k kilometers) depending on driving conditions and cabin air filter at about the same time as a rule of thumb. Cabin air filter is completely optional but will allow your heat/air to work and smell better. The engine air filter's condition is easy to check, the cabin not so much. If the engine's is dirty, go ahead and replace both.

Like KGMTech said differential oil is not applicable here.

Lubricating locks and hinges and the multipoint inspection is always a good thing to do periodically, just take a second look yourself later at any presented issues if you've got a mechanical knack. Sometimes what they say needs replacing doesn't.

Tire rotation is always a good thing if needed, you should always have the tires with the most tread up front to keep them even, because the fronts wear faster. So if they're looking thinner than the rears then it is due, if not done you'll be replacing tires in sets of two pretty often. Can be done yourself if you have the tools and time, do one side at a time swapping rear to front with the car on jackstands. Will save you a few bucks.

Oil and filter should be done every 5k miles (8k kilometers), or at least that's my rule. The type of oil doesn't matter (synthetic or dino). I personally use Pennzoil YB (yellow bottle) 5W-30 and a good quality Rock Auto filter. Not looking for record breaking oil change intervals, just reliable clean protection. Obviously keeping up with your oil changes is a good idea. Also something fairly easy to do yourself, but it won't save you a ton of money given the low shop prices on oil changes these days. Just gives you the peace of mind knowing what's in it.

Brake fluid, KGMTech pretty much covered that. Brake fluid absorbs water like crazy. The system is sealed but no seal is perfect. Over time that water contaminates the fluid and can damage ABS systems and brake lines, so it's good to swap it out with fresh fluid every couple of years or so. In my opinion, it's easiest to just let a shop do that one, what with the labor involved in bleeding the system and draining it completely. Too much of a headache for my taste.

I think that about covers it...
Old 11-04-2015, 12:45 PM

I would do the brake fluid when you replace your pads. Right now I would change the power steering and cvt fluids.