7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to change the brake fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2016, 11:14 AM

How to change the brake fluid?

Hey everyone, I have a 2014 Maxima with 35K miles on it. I noticed that Nissan recommends changing the brake fluid every 15K miles, so I am overdue. I tried to do this today using the turkey baster method by trying to siphon the old fluid out from the brake reservoir, but there is a screen in the reservoir preventing me from doing this. Is there a way to do this at home without damaging the ABS unit or getting all kinds of air in the lines? I looked and could not find anyting or a how to.
Old 09-29-2016, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by 2014Maxima
Hey everyone, I have a 2014 Maxima with 35K miles on it. I noticed that Nissan recommends changing the brake fluid every 15K miles, so I am overdue. I tried to do this today using the turkey baster method by trying to siphon the old fluid out from the brake reservoir, but there is a screen in the reservoir preventing me from doing this. Is there a way to do this at home without damaging the ABS unit or getting all kinds of air in the lines? I looked and could not find anyting or a how to.
https://maxima.org/forums/7th-genera...ake-fluid.html
Old 10-03-2016, 03:13 PM

Its really easy.. look on youtube. I did it with 2 people. Make a bleeder bottle. Take a water bottle and drill hole in cap. Get hose that fits the bleeder valve on caliper. Can get it had hardware store. The hose will go in bottle and attach to bleeder screw on caliper. With hose in bottle and attached to bleeder screw, loosen screw and have someone else pump the brakes... slowly.. Fluid will pour into bottle. Keep end of hose in bottle submerged in fluid. Yoy dont want it to suck in air when you release the pedal. Keep bottle above caliper. Continually check brake fluid reservoir to make sure it is full. You dont want it to run dry. Continually top it off. Slowly push brake pedal down and repeat untill fluid in hose is clean. Tighten bleeder screw on caliper while in the middle of pressing brake pedal. This will keep the air out. Move to next caliper and repeat.

Really easy. Watch youtube... do it with 2 people so you dont screw it up..
Old 10-04-2016, 11:02 AM

First, you probably don't really need the replace the fluid at 2 years or 35k miles. But if you decide you would like to, here is the way I do it.

I have done andremike's method alone. The bleeding order is passenger rear, driver front, driver rear, passenger front per the factory service manual. That screen in the reservoir pulls out. It won't damage anything when you do. I use the vacuum brake bleeder from Harbor Freight that you run from an air compressor to suck most of the fluid out of the reservoir. Then, refill the reservoir with new fluid and REMEMBER THE MOST IMPORTANT THING IS NEVER RUN OUT OF FLUID IN THE RESERVOIR OR YOU WILL HAVE A BAD TIME. Check it every four or five times you pump the pedal. Make your bleeder bottle and pour some new fluid in the bottom and make sure the end of the tube always stays submerged in the fluid. Go in the order above and pretty soon you will be done. Buy the big liter bottle of DOT4 fluid and you should have plenty.