7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clicking noise

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2018, 10:56 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Clicking noise

When I put the car in reverse or drive the car clicks. I don’t hear the noise when I am turning. Its the weirdest thing and I find it real annoying. I am stressed out anyone have an idea.
Old 11-09-2018, 05:15 PM

We are probably going to need some more detail on this problem to be of any help. Is the clicking coming from the engine? Is the car moving at the time? Is the engine warm or cold? All details you can think of so the noise can be isolated further. There is a known problem with the #1 bearing at warm idle with this car but it's more of a knock not a click and the car must be warm at idle with the car not moving coming from the lower passenger side of the engine bay.
Old 11-10-2018, 01:15 AM

Take your car to the dealer and have them diagnose it properly. This is the 2nd time that I've seen you post this issue and obviously no one here has experienced your problem or you're not describing it well enough. Pay the diagnostic fee then decide how best to fix it after you know what the problem is. All you're getting now are guesses and your car is still broke.
Old 11-10-2018, 07:22 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Ok so I went to the dealer they said nothing.

Here is a step by step scenario of how this noise occurs.

I get in start the car and let it warm up.
I leave it the drive way for a few do some odds and ends and get ready to roll.
I release the Parking break and then I put it in reverse.
As soon as I let off the brake and apply some acceleration while the wheels are strange clicking noise comes from the front wheels and I can feel it in the steering wheel.
As I make it out of my neighborhood and I have to stop at stop signs I hear the noise when I spot It goes click click and as I accelerate it does the same thing for a few minutes and it goes away after a while.
This only happens when the car is cold when it warms up or I am on the highway for a while nothing, when I turn I have no issues its only when its fairly cold and I just getting on the road.
Old 11-10-2018, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by Philipe Lilavois
Ok so I went to the dealer they said nothing.

Here is a step by step scenario of how this noise occurs.

I get in start the car and let it warm up.
I leave it the drive way for a few do some odds and ends and get ready to roll.
I release the Parking break and then I put it in reverse.
As soon as I let off the brake and apply some acceleration while the wheels are strange clicking noise comes from the front wheels and I can feel it in the steering wheel.
As I make it out of my neighborhood and I have to stop at stop signs I hear the noise when I spot It goes click click and as I accelerate it does the same thing for a few minutes and it goes away after a while.
This only happens when the car is cold when it warms up or I am on the highway for a while nothing, when I turn I have no issues its only when its fairly cold and I just getting on the road.
Take off your wheels in the front and inspect the backing plate, Caliper slide pins, pads or for any obstruction in that area.
From experience with working at a dealer... They most likely did nothing with your car.
What year is your car and the mileage?
Also.. Have a look at the outer axle boot ( one closer to the wheel) see if its torn and grease is leaking out.. If its clicking while turning , the half shaft bearings could be getting bad..

Last edited by Nmax5150; 11-10-2018 at 10:35 AM.
Old 11-17-2022, 07:16 PM

Check your axle.
Old 11-18-2022, 03:30 AM

Possibly the abs self test? It doesnt happen when warm/driven? Wouldnt be a bad idea to get the brakes checked just in case.
Old 11-18-2022, 07:29 AM

I have the same clicking sound from my front and the Nissan dealership said it is my axle. Taking it in on Monday because its still under my extended warranty. 16 Plat with 73k miles.
Old 01-07-2024, 01:56 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

What is the #1 Bearing?

Originally Posted by george1800
We are probably going to need some more detail on this problem to be of any help. Is the clicking coming from the engine? Is the car moving at the time? Is the engine warm or cold? All details you can think of so the noise can be isolated further. There is a known problem with the #1 bearing at warm idle with this car but it's more of a knock not a click and the car must be warm at idle with the car not moving coming from the lower passenger side of the engine bay.

I have that issue you are referring to. I attached a video. Can you please confirm and give me a little insight. Any help is appreciated
Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_3872.mov (18.34 MB, 9 views)