7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car shudders under slow acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2019, 01:38 PM

Car shudders under slow acceleration

My car shudders sometimes as I accelerate slowly and I think it's the transmission. It is especially bad if I'm going up a hill (more load) or if I have my wheels turned really far in either direction, like if I'm pulling out from a side street onto the main road. I'll get on the gas slow and easy and the car starts to shudder as I pull out. It's only got 67k miles on it...if the trans is going to take a crap on me I'm going to dump this car on a dealership for something else.

I got the transmission flushed when I first bought the car at the dealership and it hasn't felt right since. When it gets hot I can smell the transmission fluid through the A/C vents, but I've taken it back to the dealer twice and they say they see no leaks...this has been 6 months since the flush and I'm getting worried. It's not as stinky as when they first did it but I can smell it still especially when the car gets hot in stop and go traffic. I shouldn't be smelling ANYTHING.
Old 04-25-2019, 03:45 PM

Your problem probably stems from doing the flush. Drain and fill is the preferred method of changing the fluid in CVT's. I hope ever who did the oil change used Nissan NS-2. What year is your car?
Old 04-25-2019, 06:53 PM

Could be gas quality, dirty injectors, worn plugs, ignition coil, worn alternator, etc.. All can give similar symptoms. Not everything to blame the tranny.
Try to run 20oz techron(or BG44K) through a full tank of 93 octane gas, preferably some other station that the one you used to refill from.
How's your gas mileage?
Have you checked CVT fluid level? The correct way.

Last edited by mahanddeem; 04-25-2019 at 07:02 PM.
Old 04-26-2019, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by mahanddeem
Could be gas quality, dirty injectors, worn plugs, ignition coil, worn alternator, etc.. All can give similar symptoms. Not everything to blame the tranny.
Try to run 20oz techron(or BG44K) through a full tank of 93 octane gas, preferably some other station that the one you used to refill from.
How's your gas mileage?
Have you checked CVT fluid level? The correct way.
I've always wondered the correct way of checking the CVT fluid on these cars the dip stick has 2 notches and a cross hatch area is the fluid supposed to be in the cross hatch area or right up to the 2nd notch?
Old 04-26-2019, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by MaximusN8
I've always wondered the correct way of checking the CVT fluid on these cars the dip stick has 2 notches and a cross hatch area is the fluid supposed to be in the cross hatch area or right up to the 2nd notch?
More important is the fluid temp, the ATF temp count should be at least 160, and it takes a while driving to get there. All cross hatched area is acceptable when hot. I'd personally set it at top of hateched area (I'd like to have it a smudge higher than a smudge lower). Engine hould be running in park or neutral on LEVEL ground and parking brake fully depressed.

http://www.nissantechnicianinfo.mobi/htmlversions/2015_CVT_Special/Service_Tips.html

I think you problem is somewhere else, around ignition or air/fuel ratio..

Last edited by mahanddeem; 04-26-2019 at 06:39 AM.
Old 04-26-2019, 07:08 AM

[QUOTE=mahanddeem;9200595]More important is the fluid temp, the ATF temp count should be at least 160, and it takes a while driving to get there. All cross hatched area is acceptable when hot. I'd personally set it at top of hateched area (I'd like to have it a smudge higher than a smudge lower). Engine hould be running in park or neutral on LEVEL ground and parking brake fully depressed.

Nice thanks for the feedback good advice,
Old 04-30-2019, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by Richard66
Your problem probably stems from doing the flush. Drain and fill is the preferred method of changing the fluid in CVT's. I hope ever who did the oil change used Nissan NS-2. What year is your car?
It's a 2013. I had it done at a Nissan dealership so I assumed they would take care of it correctly. The car was absolutely reeking like CVT fluid for weeks after, I could smell it coming through the vents. I took the car back to them and they said they couldn't find anything wrong with it, no leaks and couldn't smell anything. I still get hints of the smell when the car gets hot in stop and go traffic.
Old 04-30-2019, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by Legionnaire1856
It's a 2013. I had it done at a Nissan dealership so I assumed they would take care of it correctly. The car was absolutely reeking like CVT fluid for weeks after, I could smell it coming through the vents. I took the car back to them and they said they couldn't find anything wrong with it, no leaks and couldn't smell anything. I still get hints of the smell when the car gets hot in stop and go traffic.
If you could raise the car on a hoist at some small shop and with a flashlight take a look yourself. If fluid level is also good you'll rule out the tranny as a problem and focus on other things.
Old 05-08-2019, 02:08 PM

Do you have any other unusual symptoms? Engine light, funny sounds, light flickering, low idle speed, etc.? That may help pinpoint the issue. If it has been 6 months since the flush and you still smell fluid leaking I would think there is a current leak. Maybe it is another fluid besides the trans fluid? Mahanddeem's suggestion is spot on - check the fluid and confirm if you've lost trans fluid or not. Then the next step would be identify what is causing the fluid leak, could be something small dripping on the exhaust and burning off so you don't notice a drip under the car....