7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

Engine moves when turning steering wheel.

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2019, 12:45 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Engine moves when turning steering wheel.

So I've recently noticed my engine moves slightly when turning the wheel back and forth. Brought it to the dealers attention and was told some movement is normal. I'm thinking subframe bushings? What do you guys think?
Old 04-30-2019, 02:07 PM

Dealer is correct. If you don't trust them, go ahead and replace parts that might have no need to be replaced, it's your money.

Please note that you provided virtually no info about what year, what milage, what damage - if any. Subframe bushings are almost never replaced.
Old 04-30-2019, 04:07 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

My apologies. It's a 2012 S with 57,000 miles got it at 46,000. The reason I bring up subframe bushings is because there is a clunk on odd bumps and when turning on uneven roads, at slow speed and highway speed. Seems like this is during a weight shift. This dealer suggested sway bar links/bushings, though they did mention the bushings seemed tight, replaced with no change. They also mentioned struts, so I replaced the entire assembly, no change. They did change the steering rack and pump before this noise started wether it's related or not.

Decided to bring to another dealership who confirmed the noise and on two occasions could not figure it out. This dealer told me that the subframe bushings could have been damaged if the other dealership let the subframe hang too much to access the rack.

At this point I decided to go nuts. Replaced control arms, outer tie rod ends, passenger upper motor mount, dog bone mount, trans mount and rear mount. Still same noise. Checked and double checked everything. Found battery stay was loose and radiator stay clip and bushing missing. Tightened and replaced. When I had subframe down I check as best I could, could not tell if bushings were bad. So I returned to original dealer, they spent about 12 hrs with 2 different techs and 3 master techs. Came to conclusion brake pads had vertical play, replaced still have noise......

What's left? Front motor mount, passenger lower mount, both look good. Intermediate shaft, some small metal flakes around u-joint at rack otherwise seems tight, maybe slip joint needs grease. And subframe bushings.. I'm baffled. I can tell you the noise is felt in steering wheel and pedals. I take car of this car religiously, send oil out to Blackstone labs, take car of CVT like a baby.

Any ideas??
Old 05-01-2019, 04:35 PM

Check to see how tight the battery is, trust me I went through hell trying to identify a noise over certain bumps, took apart the drivers side dashboard, to no solution. Then I noticed the battery was slightly loose, couple of wrench turns and silence was my reward. I'll say again that subframe mounts are very rare to need replacement - outside of an accident.
Old 05-01-2019, 05:38 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I did find a loose battery at one point. I definitely tightened it good. I'll double check.
Old 01-23-2020, 03:47 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Chris Brouillette
I did find a loose battery at one point. I definitely tightened it good. I'll double check.
Were you able to figure this noise out? I am having the same issue and really think it may be the subframe bushings... Does anyone have a pdf on how to change them? or any feed back?