7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

2011 Max Dashboard Cracked all over!

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2019, 05:02 AM

2011 Max Dashboard Cracked all over!

Are these cracks normal on the 7th Gen? The cracks are all over the dashboard. My 2011 Max was always parked in the garage and always under shaded parks while at work.

How this is possible? Is it a manufacturing defect?

Old 11-25-2019, 06:32 AM

Most complaints are for blistering from heat, this is quite the opposite.
Old 11-25-2019, 10:20 AM

It almost looks impact related. Not sure where you would have had to take a shot, perhaps a high speed hit into a pothole could have generated enough force through the cabin to do that. All theory of course. I say that because my daughter took a shot under her front bumper, on a different car, and actually cracked the resonator for the intake in almost the same way. No direct impact, but the push up from other things it cracked the resonator in the process.
Old 11-25-2019, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by iMAK
Are these cracks normal on the 7th Gen? The cracks are all over the dashboard. My 2011 Max was always parked in the garage and always under shaded parks while at work.

That looks impact related, I've never seen this on these cars but I'm curious now to see what others may think about this.

Last edited by The Wizard; 11-25-2019 at 12:23 PM.
Old 11-25-2019, 03:31 PM

It is a defect but not one that can be counted as a recall since it does not put the user at any risk unlike the sticky / shiny dashboard recall for Lexus. The cracked dashboard is common on our gen Maxima, G37, Altima, etc. I know because I've seen them multiple times with trade-ins. Unfortunately, us owners can't do anything about it except pay to have it replaced or purchase a new one and replace it ourselves, or cover it with a dash cover. Mine has the same cracks on the dash although not as bad. All due to heat and humidity here in Hawaii.
Old 11-25-2019, 04:19 PM

Wow. That would drive me f-ing crazy to the point where I’d change it.
Old 11-25-2019, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by Martinez1031
I'm scared this may happen to mine eventually!
Old 11-25-2019, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by MadMax07SL
It almost looks impact related. Not sure where you would have had to take a shot, perhaps a high speed hit into a pothole could have generated enough force through the cabin to do that. All theory of course. I say that because my daughter took a shot under her front bumper, on a different car, and actually cracked the resonator for the intake in almost the same way. No direct impact, but the push up from other things it cracked the resonator in the process.
I can assure you of no such thing, no accidents or a hit into a pothole, I was and still very gentle with my max.

As you can see from the pictures, the cracks are uniform in the left and right side, which to my opinion is a design defect.

Last edited by iMAK; 11-25-2019 at 09:53 PM.
Old 11-25-2019, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by VeeQue35DE
It is a defect but not one that can be counted as a recall since it does not put the user at any risk unlike the sticky / shiny dashboard recall for Lexus. The cracked dashboard is common on our gen Maxima, G37, Altima, etc. I know because I've seen them multiple times with trade-ins. Unfortunately, us owners can't do anything about it except pay to have it replaced or purchase a new one and replace it ourselves, or cover it with a dash cover. Mine has the same cracks on the dash although not as bad. All due to heat and humidity here in Hawaii.
This is very unfortunate. I will take it to the dealer and see will see how they react.
Old 11-25-2019, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by Martinez1031
It's crazy I agree with you. Do you believe it I just hit 35,500 miles!
Old 11-26-2019, 07:09 AM

It's crazy I agree with you. Do you believe it I just hit 35,500 miles!
Wow at 35k I don't see how that's happening, What part of the states do you live? I know there has been reports of a sticky dash due to the high humidity sub tropical climates in the Carolinas and Florida etc. I have honestly never seen this, I'm interested in seeing what the Lt and User1 have to say about this. 35k that car is practically new, My wife's 2012 has like 85k and my 2010 has 130k and neither have this problem. I live in Massachusetts so we have hot summers but not the year long on and off humidity the southern states get. Even then I don't recall ever seeing reports of the 7th gen dash cracking, the stickiness and melting I have read about but what you have going on Idk what to make of it.
Old 11-26-2019, 08:13 AM

I can assure you of no such thing, no accidents or a hit into a pothole, I was and still very gentle with my max.

As you can see from the pictures, the cracks are uniform in the left and right side, which to my opinion is a design defect.
Curious to know, did these cracks just show up one day or did this happen over a period of time. I doubt it was a design defect as it would be happening everywhere, maybe installation problems where pressure points were built in and the material finally cracked. I have a 09 SV sport and there isn't even any indication of a crack starting anywhere.
Old 11-26-2019, 09:08 AM

My 2009 has those. Of course I DO park outside and the heat here in Central Florida can get intense inside the car (rain almost everyday in the Summer means no ventilation) so I get it. I don't like it, but I understand it and have the obligatory "sticky" dash as well. Of course at my age I have cracks and bumps too! Now at 430,050 miles.
Old 11-26-2019, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by LtLeary
My 2009 has those. Of course I DO park outside and the heat here in Central Florida can get intense inside the car (rain almost everyday in the Summer means no ventilation) so I get it. I don't like it, but I understand it and have the obligatory "sticky" dash as well. Of course at my age I have cracks and bumps too! Now at 430,050 miles.
Impressive Lt just impressive the mileage on that car!
Old 11-26-2019, 09:58 AM

Have you searched for Nissan TSBs on this?

Not recalls, but technical service bulletins.
Old 11-26-2019, 11:56 AM

Wow, that sucks! What more can you say?
Old 11-26-2019, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by MaximusN8
Wow at 35k I don't see how that's happening, What part of the states do you live? I know there has been reports of a sticky dash due to the high humidity sub tropical climates in the Carolinas and Florida etc. I have honestly never seen this, I'm interested in seeing what the Lt and User1 have to say about this. 35k that car is practically new, My wife's 2012 has like 85k and my 2010 has 130k and neither have this problem. I live in Massachusetts so we have hot summers but not the year long on and off humidity the southern states get. Even then I don't recall ever seeing reports of the 7th gen dash cracking, the stickiness and melting I have read about but what you have going on Idk what to make of it.
I live in Bahrain and it's hot during summer, I got sticky dash a few times as well.
I have two other cars and that's why the mileage is low, the max has been always parked indoor and always under the shade.
Old 11-26-2019, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Richard66
Curious to know, did these cracks just show up one day or did this happen over a period of time. I doubt it was a design defect as it would be happening everywhere, maybe installation problems where pressure points were built in and the material finally cracked. I have a 09 SV sport and there isn't even any indication of a crack starting anywhere.
No not in one day, they started at the sides of the radio console as circled below, then grow up. I left the country for 6 months and then when I came back I saw the ones around the left and right side air vents. I was trying to forget them, but every time I set in the car It's hard to ignore them.

Old 11-26-2019, 12:56 PM

If it helps, I hardly notice mine anymore. Of course I get in the car and drive and it is usually dark when I leave and dark when I get home. I bet if I was a passenger, it would bother me much more but that is where my "dry, cracked skin" started as well. It isn't quite as bad around the air vents though. But even parking in the shade, Bahrain does have a tendency to get quite warm for long periods. I see the humidity levels there are pretty high like Florida. Combined we are "steaming" the interior a lot so that may also have an impact that others in the desert wouldn't see. Are there many 7th gens over there or in neighboring countries?
Old 11-26-2019, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by Turbobink
Have you searched for Nissan TSBs on this?

Not recalls, but technical service bulletins.
I did a quick search in https://www.nissan-techinfo.com/ after I read your message but couldn't find anything related. I may need to do more searches.
Old 11-26-2019, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by LtLeary
If it helps, I hardly notice mine anymore. Of course I get in the car and drive and it is usually dark when I leave and dark when I get home. I bet if I was a passenger, it would bother me much more but that is where my "dry, cracked skin" started as well. It isn't quite as bad around the air vents though. But even parking in the shade, Bahrain does have a tendency to get quite warm for long periods. I see the humidity levels there are pretty high like Florida. Combined we are "steaming" the interior a lot so that may also have an impact that others in the desert wouldn't see. Are there many 7th gens over there or in neighboring countries?
I agree with you about the weather here in Bahrain, yes there are a lot of 7th gens here in Bahrain, and I think I will try to see some of them if they have the same or similar issue. The first place I will go to the service center at the dealership where I can find a plenty of them.
Old 11-27-2019, 03:23 AM

It might take a while to get a complaint/notification submitted and to get a reply, but you might consider contacting Nissan Corporate ... either directly or via any social media means that might be available.

Regardless of where you live and the climate, cars are manufactured to endure extremes and this seems over-the-top and reflective of a quality issue.

I’d think Nissan would want to know about this and I’d hope even more that they’d take steps toward a remedy.
Old 11-27-2019, 03:27 AM

Originally Posted by Turbobink
It might take a while to get a complaint/notification submitted and to get a reply, but you might consider contacting Nissan Corporate ... either directly or via any social media means that might be available.

Regardless of where you live and the climate, cars are manufactured to endure extremes and this seems over-the-top and reflective of a quality issue.

I’d think Nissan would want to know about this and I’d hope even more that they’d take steps toward a remedy.
Amen mate. I can't disagree with you, I will escalate it to Nissan Corporate.
Old 11-27-2019, 05:42 AM

Please let us know. Being so far out of warranty I don't hold much hope, but do please let us know.
Old 12-03-2019, 09:57 PM

I took the car to Nissan dealer, the saw the car and I asked them if they have ever seen such similar case, the answer was negative. However, I was told there was a case with an Infiniti car but the cause was a use of a unknown chemical on the dashboard.

They took a video of the cracks and they will send it to Nissan Middle East.

Waiting for the feedback.
Old 10-30-2020, 09:28 AM

Anyone if the dash is the same for all years of the 7th gen? Im tryin to buy a 2014 dash for my 2009 and just dnt know if it will fit. is the dash different for nav and non navi? If anyone knows that wld be great!

Old 11-06-2020, 08:56 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

2010 maxima dashboard cracked all over!!

I have a 2010 maxima and mine is exactly the same. Cracks all over. I had no idea what would cause this! I want it replaced badly but I can't afford it. I looked for recalls but found nothing. If anyone has found out anything please let me know. Thanks.
Old 11-11-2020, 07:29 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Same here! Cracks from just sitting. I used to Armor-all it on the regular and I was told that was probably the downfall. I let it sit with only weekly use while I was out of the country for four years. In that time it wasn't dirty, but it wasn't cleaned, so it wasn't getting a fresh coating on there, so it eventually just dried out.
Old 12-11-2021, 02:03 PM

I know this thread is old but my 09 is doing the exact same thing. Really bad. Especially around the radio n air vents. It turning whitish where the cracks are too. Came across this thread looking for solutions. It's like a cracked , sticky, pad. Did you ever fix it?
Old 12-11-2021, 02:27 PM

My 2010 doesn't have that issue but my wife's 2012 does. Hers isn't to bad just has a fine line going down where the climate control area is. Once it starts you can slow down the process of it getting worse by putting some conditioner with a UV protectant. This however what stop the process from spreading but will slow it down. Some people are lucky and it causes one crack and it doesn't happen any where else, but unfortunately for many it's widespread. Nissan is aware of it but won't acknowledge it, they say it's deteriorating from natural processes due to climate changes and wear and tear. I however believe some of these dashboards are a problem waiting to happen from the manufacturing process on some of them because not all are seeing this problem. As I stated earlier my 2010 dashboard is immaculate and my wife's has started to crack slightly. It seems to be certain ones that are affected.
Old 12-11-2021, 02:39 PM

My 2010 doesn't have that issue but my wife's 2012 does. Hers isn't to bad just has a fine line going down where the climate control area is. Once it starts you can slow down the process of it getting worse by putting some conditioner with a UV protectant. This however what stop the process from spreading but will slow it down. Some people are lucky and it causes one crack and it doesn't happen any where else, but unfortunately for many it's widespread. Nissan is aware of it but won't acknowledge it, they say it's deteriorating from natural processes due to climate changes and wear and tear. I however believe some of these dashboards are a problem waiting to happen from the manufacturing process on some of them because not all are seeing this problem. As I stated earlier my 2010 dashboard is immaculate and my wife's has started to crack slightly. It seems to be certain ones that are affected.
Yeah mine is terrible. Gonna try some dash repair kits n if it doesn't work I know a guy that does mobile dash repair. Kinda expensive though. But worth. Dash cover n fix around vents and radio. Thanks for the response. If I get it fixed I'll post before n Afters. Thanks
Old 12-11-2021, 02:43 PM

Yes please post back, I'm curious to see if there's actually a decent repair out there that doesn't require replacing the dash.
Old 12-11-2021, 02:44 PM

Yes please post back, I'm curious to see if there's actually a decent repair out there that doesn't require replacing the dash.
Will do. I'd imagine replacing the dash is crazy expensive.
Old 12-11-2021, 02:49 PM

You know it! Honestly I wouldn't spend the crazy amount of money to replace it, as long as the car is running and gets me to work and back and around town, I'll learn to live with it. Spend my hard earned money elsewhere.
Old 01-19-2022, 12:42 AM

Mine had cracks and was melting. I ended up taking it out and wrapping it in fabric (suede), but this is a lot of work and takes some skill. Our dash is all one piece and has a lot of curves, so wrapping it is difficult. I'm guessing if you're bothered by the cracks you'll also be bothered by wrinkles. This is how mine turned out; I've been meaning to post up a tutorial but haven't found the time.

Another option is to get a product like Suguru and fill the cracks, then get some leather/upholstery paint and try to match it. Your best bet is to find a used one in good condition at a junkyard/online. They're usually considerably cheaper than getting a brand new one ($100-200).
Old 01-19-2022, 02:00 AM

Originally Posted by BlackCrimsonChin
Mine had cracks and was melting. I ended up taking it out and wrapping it in fabric (suede), but this is a lot of work and takes some skill. Our dash is all one piece and has a lot of curves, so wrapping it is difficult. I'm guessing if you're bothered by the cracks you'll also be bothered by wrinkles. This is how mine turned out; I've been meaning to post up a tutorial but haven't found the time.

Another option is to get a product like Suguru and fill the cracks, then get some leather/upholstery paint and try to match it. Your best bet is to find a used one in good condition at a junkyard/online. They're usually considerably cheaper than getting a brand new one ($100-200).

I just bought a new dash cover. Better than my old one. I filled in the cracks and painted by the radio. Not a professional job but better than it was. Thanks for the pics and letting me know what you did. Taking the dash out is a bit much for me.

Old 01-19-2022, 02:04 AM

Originally Posted by Grady09SV

I just bought a new dash cover. Better than my old one. I filled in the cracks and painted by the radio. Not a professional job but better than it was. Thanks for the pics and letting me know what you did. Taking the dash out is a bit much for me.
Yeah, it was definitely a huge pain. Hope I never have to do it again. That cover looks great though!
Old 07-23-2022, 09:17 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have a 2010 which I bought new in Orlando, but live in Gainesville, FL. I've just gotten to 100K. About two years ago I started to notice these cracks, usually around the edges, and they've only gotten worse.

If you haven't experienced this yourself, let me say it's a deterioration/disintegration of the material itself. It's no longer as hard as it was, but almost like putty. You can press a fingernail into the areas and if you're not careful, break off bits.

My car is usually in a carport and if outside, typically only before noon. My interior is in excellent condition for the age of the car, but this dash disintegration is a real disappointment to say the least. Freshly cleaned and detailed, my car otherwise looks practically like new.

Two Questions:
Has anybody actually had their dash replaced, and what did it cost do do? Were you satisfied with the results?

Grady09SV, I can't quite make out the brand of dash cover you purchased -- who makes it? EDIT: looks like Dash Design, "Dashtex" material. Is it black or charcoal?

Last edited by mrsmoothie; 07-23-2022 at 09:34 AM. Reason: Question for Grady09SV
Old 07-23-2022, 10:59 AM

God, I love my ‘99 …
Old 07-23-2022, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by mrsmoothie
I have a 2010 which I bought new in Orlando, but live in Gainesville, FL. I've just gotten to 100K. About two years ago I started to notice these cracks, usually around the edges, and they've only gotten worse.

If you haven't experienced this yourself, let me say it's a deterioration/disintegration of the material itself. It's no longer as hard as it was, but almost like putty. You can press a fingernail into the areas and if you're not careful, break off bits.

My car is usually in a carport and if outside, typically only before noon. My interior is in excellent condition for the age of the car, but this dash disintegration is a real disappointment to say the least. Freshly cleaned and detailed, my car otherwise looks practically like new.

Two Questions:
Has anybody actually had their dash replaced, and what did it cost do do? Were you satisfied with the results?

Grady09SV, I can't quite make out the brand of dash cover you purchased -- who makes it? EDIT: looks like Dash Design, "Dashtex" material. Is it black or charcoal?
Dash designs. Got it off rock auto. It was the more expensive better material. Doesn't curl up in the corners plus I used the Velcro that came with it. Check out rock auto

Quick Reply: 2011 Max Dashboard Cracked all over!