7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 Center Console Power Port

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2020, 06:42 PM

2012 Center Console Power Port

I have a 2012 SV Max and my center console power port draws power straight from the battery, while the one near the gear shifter is only operable with the engine running. I was looking in a 2013 manual and found that was switched that year.

Anyone know if there's a way to switch it in my 2012? Or make the center console port turn off with the engine? I have a dashcam and I want to plug it in in the center console (to hide the cable), but only want it on when the engine is on. Just wondering for quality of life purposes.
Old 09-12-2020, 10:46 PM

Don't know if there is an easy way. I mounted my dashcam permanently with an add-a-circuit (and a 5vdc power converter) and ran the wires up and over to behind the mirror where I mounted my first dashcam. Keeps all wires out of site and you can't even see the dashcam. I since moved the circuit back to always on (also with an add-a -circuit) as I wanted to have "parking guard" turned on to have more complete coverage.
Old 09-13-2020, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by LtLeary
Don't know if there is an easy way. I mounted my dashcam permanently with an add-a-circuit (and a 5vdc power converter) and ran the wires up and over to behind the mirror where I mounted my first dashcam. Keeps all wires out of site and you can't even see the dashcam. I since moved the circuit back to always on (also with an add-a -circuit) as I wanted to have "parking guard" turned on to have more complete coverage.
I thought about doing something like that (getting a kit to hook it up to the fuse box) but not really worth it for my purposes. I ran the wire tucked behind the headliner, inside the right side panel, between the dashboard and the door, taped under the glove compartment, tucked under the plastic panels on the side of the gear shifter, and then you only see it as it goes into that compartment from around the passenger seat belt. It's not even seeing it that bothers me, just that I can't close that little door with it plugged in without damaging the wire. The center console has a cutout for wires to run into it, so I find it odd they made the port that's harder to get to & designed to not have to be accessed the one that's always on. I suppose that's why they fixed it the year later.

Thanks, guess I'll just deal with it. Maybe I should keep it on and just unplug when I'm home. I'm in NYC and with the parking here...I'm more likely to get hit when I'm not in the vehicle.
Old 09-13-2020, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by BlackCrimsonChin
I thought about doing something like that (getting a kit to hook it up to the fuse box) but not really worth it for my purposes. I ran the wire tucked behind the headliner, inside the right side panel, between the dashboard and the door, taped under the glove compartment, tucked under the plastic panels on the side of the gear shifter, and then you only see it as it goes into that compartment from around the passenger seat belt. It's not even seeing it that bothers me, just that I can't close that little door with it plugged in without damaging the wire. The center console has a cutout for wires to run into it, so I find it odd they made the port that's harder to get to & designed to not have to be accessed the one that's always on. I suppose that's why they fixed it the year later.

Thanks, guess I'll just deal with it. Maybe I should keep it on and just unplug when I'm home. I'm in NYC and with the parking here...I'm more likely to get hit when I'm not in the vehicle.
What's the reason you're unable to route the power wire to the fuse panel? If it were me and I lived in NYC and utilized a parking garage, I would for sure want some surveillance when parked with the engine off, so I'd want it hooked directly to B+ power.

Blackvue makes a "Power Magic Pro" a programmable power supply for about $30.....maybe this would be a solution for you.

https://blackvue.com/product/blackvu...-parking-mode/
Old 09-13-2020, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by Captive8
What's the reason you're unable to route the power wire to the fuse panel? If it were me and I lived in NYC and utilized a parking garage, I would for sure want some surveillance when parked with the engine off, so I'd want it hooked directly to B+ power.

Blackvue makes a "Power Magic Pro" a programmable power supply for about $30.....maybe this would be a solution for you.

https://blackvue.com/product/blackvu...-parking-mode/
Appreciate the link. I've never touched a fuse panel (on a car at least) so I was avoiding it. I might take a day to figure it out, but as you said, it'd be better to have it recording while I'm parked. Plugging in the center console could be a win win & replace the need to hook up to the fuse box. My goal was to set it and forget it but I can make just the unplug when I get home routine.
Also need to play with the parking settings on my camera, not sure if it has impact/motion sensors to turn on if something happens, but I know it runs with a capacitor so it needs to rely on the car battery either way.