7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HID Headlight problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2021, 08:42 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

HID Headlight problems

Hi everyone, I've been secretly using these forums from a google search every time I have a problem, but this time I actually need to post a question. I have a 2014 SV. I recently bought a pair of HID bulbs from Sylvania because one side was out. They both worked awhile, maybe two months. The passenger side went out 10 days ago. I turned them off/on and it lit up, a few days ago this trick did not work. So today I switched them out with each other, but the passenger side is still out. I did some research online, but little is available for my specific problem. There were references to bad ballasts, wiring and fuses. I did a visual inspections of the immediate wiring and of the connections and checked the under hood fuses. To me it seems like it would have to be the ballast. So I looked online and saw several on amazon for around $50. Is it a normal price for a new ballast? And are a control unit and ballast the same thing? Nissan charges $500 for a new control unit. I could not find any reference to "ballast" on Nissan's parts page. Is my troubleshooting correct? Is it a bad ballast?
Old 04-01-2021, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by Rlone9440
Hi everyone, I've been secretly using these forums from a google search every time I have a problem, but this time I actually need to post a question. I have a 2014 SV. I recently bought a pair of HID bulbs from Sylvania because one side was out. They both worked awhile, maybe two months. The passenger side went out 10 days ago. I turned them off/on and it lit up, a few days ago this trick did not work. So today I switched them out with each other, but the passenger side is still out. I did some research online, but little is available for my specific problem. There were references to bad ballasts, wiring and fuses. I did a visual inspections of the immediate wiring and of the connections and checked the under hood fuses. To me it seems like it would have to be the ballast. So I looked online and saw several on amazon for around $50. Is it a normal price for a new ballast? And are a control unit and ballast the same thing? Nissan charges $500 for a new control unit. I could not find any reference to "ballast" on Nissan's parts page. Is my troubleshooting correct? Is it a bad ballast?
I haven't used a $50 ballast but I did use an Approx $200 from RockAuto for my 09 after a suicidal racoon damaged the right side while I was waiting for insurance and the body shop to do their thing. Nissan does call the Ballast the Control Unit. Just a heads up, it is in an inconvenient location so be patient and trying to rewire the headlight assy is a pain too (if the cable/bulb connector/cable is damaged) If I had it to do again (with the connector that is) I would buy the whole assy.
Old 04-03-2021, 02:20 PM

I just had the same issue. Mine ended up being a bad igniter. I changed both with a used unit from a junkyard 2011 Murano ( $15 yay). Igniter runs through the headlight but was a lot easier to replace than you would think. I took the headlight completely out ( this made everything so much easier) by removing the bumper. Another thing I was dreading but again easy. Tons of videos online. Watched a few jumped on it and replaced a ballast, igniter, and 2 bulbs. Closed up and done in about an hour.