7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

Stepper motor help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2024, 04:17 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Stepper motor help!!!

Well got in car this morning and noticed transmission wasn’t acting right . Would hardly go after I stopped and when I got up to about 60 mph the rpm’s would go up but wouldn’t go any faster . Anyways I pulled over checked transmission fluid and it looked a little low so I added some and was still acting dumb . Parked car then went and cranked it up put it in drive and same thing . Then engine light comes on p1778 is the code. Basically I need to know if I need a new trans or if I can take cheaper route and replace stepper motor
Old 05-15-2024, 08:43 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

No worries

I saw someone else here with the same problem and he said that you could just change it out so you should probably try that to save some money
Old 05-19-2024, 02:16 PM

You can buy the part off eBay for less than $30. Do a YouTube search for stepper motor replacement.

Watch about 2 or 3 videos and you'll see how easy it is to do. When you remove the transmission pan put on a new gasket.

Make sure to clean off the magnet in the pan and spray some brake cleaner thru the CVT screen, I would also recommend you change the external filter as well.

You can also find it on eBay.

You can also use the 5qt bottle of Valvoline Synthetic CVT fluid vs paying $90 for the Nissan fluid, it is compatible.
Old 05-21-2024, 12:20 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Well I swapped the stepper motor out and absolutely the same thing is going on. Even got the nissian ns2 cvt fluid . I was hoping this was going to be just a simple fix but I’m back at square one. . Does the arm that the stepper motor slide over have to be in a certain position? Any ideas on what the hell could it be
Old 05-24-2024, 01:01 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Dropped pan once again just to make sure everything was right. I know there’s only one way the stepper motor can go but I did it just to make sure it didn’t slip off the fork it connects to and well . I’m definitely no car guru or anything but I’m trying my hardest not to have to buy new trans . P1778 is the code but it doesn’t seem to be the stepper motor considering I changed it . Damnit I’m lost. Maybe it’s possible that they sent a defective one? I dunno. Damn CVT