8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

The 8th generation Maxima...prototypes, news, updates, rumors and more

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2014, 02:44 AM

Originally Posted by dwapenyi
Not gonna happen in a sports sedan aimed at $35-$40K MSRP. A 6-speed, 3 pedal option would be a really really nice option to the new Altima sourced CVT. It's already in the parts bin with the 370Z....just need to modify it from RWD to FWD/AWD.

Yes, there are posters in most threads on maxima.org and Altima boards who would like a manual tranny. Maybe the Altima manual is possible. But Nissan produced manual Maximas for EIGHT YEARS after they began losing money on the manuals, and even TWO years after dealers stopped accepting manuals without very heavy discounts.

Just based on the 1998 to 2006 manual Maximas that simply occupied space on dealer lots until the dealers gritted their teeth and literally gave them away, Nissan would be insane to offer a manual tranny option on the Maxima again, EXCEPT as part of an upscale NISMO package priced somewhere between $45K and $50K. And that may be what we will see.
Old 04-26-2014, 02:55 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
Yes, there are posters in most threads on maxima.org and Altima boards who would like a manual tranny. Maybe the Altima manual is possible. But Nissan produced manual Maximas for EIGHT YEARS after they began losing money on the manuals, and even TWO years after dealers stopped accepting manuals without very heavy discounts.

Just based on the 1998 to 2006 manual Maximas that simply occupied space on dealer lots until the dealers gritted their teeth and literally gave them away, Nissan would be insane to offer a manual tranny option on the Maxima again, EXCEPT as part of an upscale NISMO package priced somewhere between $45K and $50K. And that may be what we will see.
Sadly, your rationale does make sense.
Old 04-28-2014, 09:26 AM

EXCEPT as part of an upscale NISMO package priced somewhere between $45K and $50K. And that may be what we will see.
this is the answer. With a turbo, bigger brakes, and wider wheels.
Old 04-28-2014, 11:15 AM

In a way the 8th gen is gonna be a pretty big car its 75 inches wide so i'm anxious to see how this is gonna turn out!
Old 04-29-2014, 09:45 AM

If you guys look closely you can clearly see performance brake rotors and calipers on the concept model. This makes me wonder how ambitious Nissan is in making this a real Sports Sedan...

Link:

https://www.google.com/search?q=spor...%3B2048%3B1360

Last edited by dauntlessmax; 04-29-2014 at 09:48 AM.
Old 04-30-2014, 06:35 AM

Very disappointing to hear the new Max may be down on power. While I wasn't expecting any huge gains, it would have been nice to at least see it get the 3.7 and hit 300 Hp. But 260, gesh, refined or not, anytime you drop HP, it is noticeable unless they shave 500 pounds off the GVWR. 30 hp will at least equate to a loss in seat of the pants feel, and that is not a good thing in my book.

Looks like I may be replacing my 11 with a 14 then.

HoustonQX3
Old 04-30-2014, 07:23 AM

where do you people get 260 from?

260 is what the Murano has. The "sport sedan concept" will have 300...it was already said so at the auto show.

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...e-photos-video
Though it’s described as sporty, the concept still comes with a front-wheel-drive layout. Its engine is a 3.5-liter V-6 putting out in excess of 300 horsepower, and this is mated to a sport-tuned version of Nissan’s Xtronic CVT. This is a similar setup to that found in the current Maxima and is likely to be the same destined for the all-new 2015 Maxima

Last edited by Amerikaner83; 04-30-2014 at 07:26 AM.
Old 04-30-2014, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Amerikaner83
where do you people get 260 from?

260 is what the Murano has. The "sport sedan concept" will have 300...it was already said so at the auto show.

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...e-photos-video
That had better be true or I will be very upset! I don't care for a huge upgrade to HP but please give me more than 290. How else would the Maxima compete. It's known to be the fastest in its class and 260 brings it below the frickin Accord! Blah!

You're right though, Amerikaner, sport sedan concept would equal sport sedan speed.
Old 05-08-2014, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by Propa Teknique
You're right though, Amerikaner, sport sedan concept would equal sport sedan speed.

indeed. Put out or get out.
Old 05-09-2014, 04:37 PM

L'avenir Maxima est Laguna. Que c'est beau!

Que diriez-vous d'un coupé? Oui! Oui!

I won't complain too much so long as it has leg room like the 4th gens..

Here's a You Tube Vid..

:
:

Last edited by CS_AR; 05-09-2014 at 04:45 PM.
Old 05-09-2014, 05:50 PM

CS_AR man don't play fareal is that the new Maxima? that's like teasing a rotweiller with a steak if that's the 8th gen I'm gonna pass out if its really that nice!

Last edited by Chris Alexander; 05-09-2014 at 05:53 PM.
Old 05-09-2014, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by Chris Alexander
CS_AR man don't play fareal is that the new Maxima? that's like teasing a rotweiller with a steak if that's the 8th gen I'm gonna pass out if its really that nice!

Not even close to the concept, come on man! U know better lol
Old 05-09-2014, 10:27 PM

Not even close to the concept, come on man! U know better lol

True. We have been told very clearly by Nissan that the 8th gen Maxima styling will be very similar to the 4DSC concept vehicle presented at the Detroit Auto Show.

There were doubters when Nissan said the new Murano styling would be close to the concept vehicle, and the styling proved to be virtually the same. I see no reason to doubt the 8th gen Maxima styling will also be virtually the same as the concept vehicle.

And I am one who likes the styling of Nissan's 4DSC concept vehicle, and will be buying.
Old 05-09-2014, 11:08 PM

Amerikaner83 lol hahaha you know I knew that wasn't that car but I had to rub it in a little bit since they teasing us around here!
Old 05-09-2014, 11:18 PM

One thing is for certain i'm glad the 8th gen is getting it's own identity the 7th gen looked like a Masarati imitationName:  111_zpsb659b594.jpg
Views: 573
Size:  24.3 KB

Last edited by Chris Alexander; 05-09-2014 at 11:29 PM.
Old 05-10-2014, 06:16 AM

One thing is for certain i'm glad the 8th gen is getting it's own identity the 7th gen looked like a Masarati imitation
Hey Chris - Great call! It sure looks like the Maxima and Maserati came from the same Italian design studio.

Looking at way back at an early Skyline, it came from a famous Italian designer named Giovanni Michelotti who deigned several famous cars for Ferrari and other European companies.

I think the Laguna platform may be lightweight and nimble compared to the current. It would be great for it to be lighter and get a larger engine.

If Ghosn is already building a coupe on the Laguna platform, then why not let Nissan have it as well? Though the coupe looks like it belongs in the Infiniti line.

When I search on 2015 Renault Laguna, somehow pictures of the following Lotus will appear in the list. There may be some styling similarities.

I really like the C-Pillar design in this 2015 Maxima Nismo picture below.

I can tell you one thing about the new design, I don't see any C-Pillar carry over from Howard K. Darren's 1953 Kaiser Manhattan design as noted with the B arrow below. How many car's do we still see that are still using Darren's 1953 Kaiser C-Pillar design?

Last edited by CS_AR; 05-10-2014 at 07:16 AM.
Old 05-10-2014, 10:35 AM

The 8th generation Maxima the goal here from Nissan should be to design a classy yet sophisticated sports sedan. When the vehicle hits showrooms we should see no evidence of cost cutting.

The problem with Nissan is they show a lack of consistency with each gen. They go up and down on sport and luxury some of the gens have been all luxury and some have been all sport.

The 3rd they managed to achieve the balance between sport and luxury. The 4th went all luxury, the 5th became all luxury but they managed to achieve good build quality and reliability with this gen. The 6th gen luxury and looks but by this time the sport was all gone. The 7th too sporty and not enough luxury. The 8th should have the perfect balance and make it reliable all the money i've spent on the last 2 yrs on my 6th gen could have went to a Range Rover.

Last edited by Chris Alexander; 05-10-2014 at 10:41 AM.
Old 05-10-2014, 12:30 PM

The 8th generation Maxima the goal here from Nissan should be to design a classy yet sophisticated sports sedan. When the vehicle hits showrooms we should see no evidence of cost cutting.

The problem with Nissan is they show a lack of consistency with each gen. They go up and down on sport and luxury some of the gens have been all luxury and some have been all sport.

The 3rd they managed to achieve the balance between sport and luxury. The 4th went all luxury, the 5th became all luxury but they managed to achieve good build quality and reliability with this gen. The 6th gen luxury and looks but by this time the sport was all gone. The 7th too sporty and not enough luxury. The 8th should have the perfect balance and make it reliable all the money i've spent on the last 2 yrs on my 6th gen could have went to a Range Rover.
I agree. I thought the 3rd gen was the perfect blend.

Somehow I think Nissan may be positioned for a good run. I like what I see coming in:

1) New Maxima
2) Cummins Diesel Powered Titan Truck
3) New BIG 420-hp V8 powered Q-ship named the Q70L

I'm seeing more new Q50s show up around my burb since the days of the J30. I'm encouraged about all the new products.

Last edited by CS_AR; 05-10-2014 at 12:45 PM.
Old 05-18-2014, 11:56 AM

Has anybody seen a full production model of the 8th gen yet it seems like we will be waiting forever,Name:  Untitled_zpsb2c28fc2.jpg
Views: 580
Size:  32.9 KB
Old 05-19-2014, 08:23 AM

Has anybody seen a full production model of the 8th gen yet it seems like we will be waiting forever,
We won't be waiting forever, just until they decide to show us. I am growing impatient however. I'm so tired of the speculation in everything.
Old 05-19-2014, 10:10 AM

Propa Teknique me too I wanna see what this car looks like already its like waiting in line to use the porta potty its torchure.
Old 05-20-2014, 02:17 PM

Wont be long now. If the 8th gen 2015 Maxima is arriving this fall, as Nissan promised, then comouflaged early versions are already on the roads undergoing testing. Previous generations had early testing done around the Los Angeles area, Phoenix area, and, with gens 6 and 7, also around the Smyrna area. At least those are the locations from which we received the earliest spy photos.

I would suspect Nissan would not like to release a new generation Maxima later than the middle of October, as that is tending to get too near the end of the year, and anything released around the end of the year or later would be labeled as a 2016 by most manufacturers.

I am expecting spy photos within the next six weeks, and they could arrive any day. I also expect the 6th gen to have strong resemblance to the concept shown in Detroit.

I know Nissan always runs the assembly line full tilt for several months months before releasing a new generation, so as to have a selection available for each dealer at release time. That would mean test versions of the 8th gen have been coming down the assembly line (interleaved with other Nissan products) in Smyrna for probably a few months now, with plans set to go full tilt in producing 8th gen Maximas no later than July.

When running full tilt, there should be at least a hundred Maximas coming off the line each day to be stored on the back lot until shortly before the official release date, at which time Nissan will begin shipping them to all Nissan dealers. Higher performing dealers usually get a good selection, while poorer performing dealers get less of a selection early on.

So the questions we have are when will Nissan set the release date, and what date will that be? If Nissan has a major early advertising blitz for this 8th gen, and I strongly suspect they will, then we could know quite a bit within the next six weeks. I suspect the release date will be announced in June, and that it will fall between August 20 and September 20, but I learned long ago that, when it comes to releases of new Maxima generations, Nissan loves to trick the guessers.

But the excitement is fast approaching.
Old 05-20-2014, 02:33 PM

So the questions we have are when will Nissan set the release date, and what date will that be? If Nissan has a major early advertising blitz for this 8th gen, and I strongly suspect they will, then we could know quite a bit within the next six weeks. I suspect the release date will be announced in June, and that it will fall between August 20 and September 20, but I learned long ago that, when it comes to releases of new Maxima generations, Nissan loves to trick the guessers.

Fast approaching? The excitement has already approached for me! This is great news! I'm just happy that this is in the making. This makes it seem more real! I took a look at the Nissan site earlier today and saw them marketing the Murano which, may I add, looks really nice. I was impressed and it has the same "floating roof" seemingly as the Sport Sedan concept just not as pronounced.

In regards to the pictures of the Sports Sedan concept however, do you think the interior of the Maxima will even resemble the SS concept? I mean it's nice, but somewhat too nice for the Maxima and I don't know how many would deal with the monochrome screen.

Thanks for the info @lightonthehill!!
Old 05-20-2014, 04:10 PM

Wont be long now. If the 8th gen 2015 Maxima is arriving this fall, as Nissan promised, then comouflaged early versions are already on the roads undergoing testing. Previous generations had early testing done around the Los Angeles area, Phoenix area, and, with gens 6 and 7, also around the Smyrna area. At least those are the locations from which we received the earliest spy photos.

I would suspect Nissan would not like to release a new generation Maxima later than the middle of October, as that is tending to get too near the end of the year, and anything released around the end of the year or later would be labeled as a 2016 by most manufacturers.

I am expecting spy photos within the next six weeks, and they could arrive any day. I also expect the 6th gen to have strong resemblance to the concept shown in Detroit.

I know Nissan always runs the assembly line full tilt for several months months before releasing a new generation, so as to have a selection available for each dealer at release time. That would mean test versions of the 8th gen have been coming down the assembly line (interleaved with other Nissan products) in Smyrna for probably a few months now, with plans set to go full tilt in producing 8th gen Maximas no later than July.

When running full tilt, there should be at least a hundred Maximas coming off the line each day to be stored on the back lot until shortly before the official release date, at which time Nissan will begin shipping them to all Nissan dealers. Higher performing dealers usually get a good selection, while poorer performing dealers get less of a selection early on.

Yuup, remember the last Fall launch was the 3rd gen and it was not until October of '88 sometimes. I'm betting this car will not be out until very late Fall or early Winter and they probably will classify it a 16. They probably will do a short 7th gen production run as a 15. Heck the 15' 370z goes on sale in less than two months, this will be the last year of it as well. http://www.carscoops.com/2014/05/201...-at-zdayz.html
Old 05-20-2014, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by 2003MaximaMan
Do not want unless they make a trim that has the Dual-clutch automatic like the GTR.
Agreed. RWD Nismo version and I'm in. Hell, FWD non-CVT and I'm in!
Old 05-21-2014, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by maximapowr
Agreed. RWD Nismo version and I'm in. Hell, FWD non-CVT and I'm in!
Why would they incorporate either of those in the new Maxima?
Old 05-21-2014, 02:14 PM

because they decided to make a good car for a change?
Old 05-21-2014, 10:46 PM

...And because Nissan listens to their customers sometimes. Stops tends to get pulled when Nismo gets involved. For $40k plus, people are actually going to want "sports" in their 4DSC. I'm not saying it's a guarantee, but I'm not so pessimistic as to automatically assume that a decent tranny is a foregone conclusion.
Old 05-22-2014, 04:00 AM

Didn't they already say it will be over 300 HP, CVT and FWD...
Old 05-22-2014, 06:21 AM

All you gotta do is take this right here stretch it and put 4 doors on it give it a 7spd automatic/manual option. 310HP And you got a Hot Maxima. Look at that Front end you know how nice that's gonna look coming down the street!!!!

310HP? thats only 20HP gain...over 330HP would be great. at least enough to hang with a G or Q
Old 05-22-2014, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by 95VQ30
Didn't they already say it will be over 300 HP, CVT and FWD...
Yes, Nissan did say this. Which is why I inquired why they would incorporate a FWD Non-CVT engine or a dual clutch automatic transmission. I don't foresee the Maxima ditching the CVT.

Originally Posted by Fundem
310HP? thats only 20HP gain...over 330HP would be great. at least enough to hang with a G or Q
I doubt 330HP would be realistic. They won't give it more horsepower than the G. The G is the premium version of Nissan, thus why would a Nissan have more of an amenity such as HP over an Infiniti? They will give it more horsepower than the other vehicles in its class.

Originally Posted by maximapowr
...And because Nissan listens to their customers sometimes. Stops tends to get pulled when Nismo gets involved. For $40k plus, people are actually going to want "sports" in their 4DSC. I'm not saying it's a guarantee, but I'm not so pessimistic as to automatically assume that a decent tranny is a foregone conclusion.
I don't think Nissan will pull any stop of that kind this time or in the future. I don't see the vast majority of customers asking for non-CVT. I do understand that they listen to their customers, a great attribute, however I don't feel they would be so keen as to do that when they have already mentioned that the engine will be CVT with over 300HP. How sporty can you make a near-luxury sedan, though?
Old 05-22-2014, 07:51 PM

Like it or not, Propa Teknique & 95VQ30 are correct on all counts.

Nissan has already told us the 8th gen Maxima will be over 300 HP, CVT and FWD. And that is exactly what we should expect for any Nissan 4 door family passenger car. Those wanting anything different need to look to Infiniti or other brands.

CVTs are not what we grew up with, but are definitely becoming the tranny of choice when fuel efficiency and economy of build are a consideration. Those willing to play with them, understand why they are growing in use, and face their quirks with an open mind will find, as I did, that they can be fun to drive. They can take much more driver input than an automatic tranny, and can use a more sensitive and thoughtful touch of the pedal than the manuals I drove for so many years.

We have only ourselves to blame for losing the manual version of the Maxima; Nissan built Maximas with manuals from 1981 through 2006, and from around 1998 on, they lost money on Maximas with manual trannies. The end became inevitable around 2004, when dealers refused to accept manual Maximas from Nissan.

The idea that all sports cars should have a manual tranny option is a misconception. Some of the fastest and highest performance cars are not available with a manual tranny.

By 2006, less than one customer in twenty looking at Maximas had any interest in a manual tranny. At this point, Nissan would be very foolish to put a manual into any Maxima other than a NISMO edition costing at least $45K.

The Maxima is a relatively heavy car, not a pocket rocket. It is too luxurious to be a race car. I will be very surprised if the 8th gen HP is over 310. I expect around 305. In this age of quickly increasing government fuel efficiency requirements, power is no longer near the top of the list of 'needs' for any family passenger sedan, even a 'sporty' one. But, should Nissan also offer a NISMO Maxima version, then it would obviously have more power.

As government fleet fuel efficiency requirements rise ever upward, we are going to be seeing many more forms of power other than the internal combustion engine. It will be interesting to see what the first variation of the Maxima's power plant might turn out to be. Diesel? Supercharging? Hybrid? Regenerative electric? A change at some point will be inevitable, and will arrive with the 9th generation Maxima if not before..
Old 05-23-2014, 05:57 AM

In this age of quickly increasing government fuel efficiency requirements, power is no longer near the top of the list of 'needs' for any family passenger sedan, even a 'sporty' one.

Translation? Chalk this one up the Obama and the leftist agenda.

You know 2016 is not too far off. This crap could be reversed if we give the demoncrats the boot.
Old 05-23-2014, 07:16 AM

You know 2016 is not too far off. This crap could be reversed if we give the demoncrats the boot.

You're an Idiot.

Fuel efficiency requirements were here way before Obama was even a senator.
Old 05-23-2014, 07:31 AM

LL @ demoncrats. Was that intentional?

You're an Idiot.

Truth is Truth, to the end of reckoning - Much Ado About Nothing

Like it or not, Propa Teknique & 95VQ30 are correct on all counts.

Nissan has already told us the 8th gen Maxima will be over 300 HP, CVT and FWD. And that is exactly what we should expect for any Nissan 4 door family passenger car. Those wanting anything different need to look to Infiniti or other brands.

CVTs are not what we grew up with, but are definitely becoming the tranny of choice when fuel efficiency and economy of build are a consideration. Those willing to play with them, understand why they are growing in use, and face their quirks with an open mind will find, as I did, that they can be fun to drive. They can take much more driver input than an automatic tranny, and can use a more sensitive and thoughtful touch of the pedal than the manuals I drove for so many years.

We have only ourselves to blame for losing the manual version of the Maxima; Nissan built Maximas with manuals from 1981 through 2006, and from around 1998 on, they lost money on Maximas with manual trannies. The end became inevitable around 2004, when dealers refused to accept manual Maximas from Nissan.

The idea that all sports cars should have a manual tranny option is a misconception. Some of the fastest and highest performance cars are not available with a manual tranny.

By 2006, less than one customer in twenty looking at Maximas had any interest in a manual tranny. At this point, Nissan would be very foolish to put a manual into any Maxima other than a NISMO edition costing at least $45K.

The Maxima is a relatively heavy car, not a pocket rocket. It is too luxurious to be a race car. I will be very surprised if the 8th gen HP is over 310. I expect around 305. In this age of quickly increasing government fuel efficiency requirements, power is no longer near the top of the list of 'needs' for any family passenger sedan, even a 'sporty' one. But, should Nissan also offer a NISMO Maxima version, then it would obviously have more power.

As government fleet fuel efficiency requirements rise ever upward, we are going to be seeing many more forms of power other than the internal combustion engine. It will be interesting to see what the first variation of the Maxima's power plant might turn out to be. Diesel? Supercharging? Hybrid? Regenerative electric? A change at some point will be inevitable, and will arrive with the 9th generation Maxima if not before..
@lightonthehill, I do hope that diesel, supercharging, hybrid, regenerative electrics are in the discussions that are going on at the round table between Nissan execs right now who are making plans for the 9th gen. I would so love to purchase a Maxima with a diesel engine or a supercharger. Now that seems more realistic than going back to a manual tranny as an option. With Volkswagen squeezing out 45MPG on some of their models, I'm more than sure that would be a welcome relief on the pocket for Maxima owners though I will admit most Maxima owners I've talked to don't care about gas prices since they are single.

Maybe the new plans for "solar roads" that are surfacing will put an end to this gas debacle. Another topic for another day I guess.

I know many speculate on dynamics, speed, and engine on vehicles before they come out but what does anyone think of the tech, specifically the audio and size of the navigation screen and odometers? Will we get an 8" screen, digital odometer, voice control, dual ventilated seats? I'm really curious about this.
Old 05-23-2014, 09:27 AM

You're an Idiot.

I know that a$$hole. I'm talking about the more stringent requirements being forced down our throats by the current admin. Your rushing to his defense with such vitriol reveals yourself as a liberal.

http://archive.bangordailynews.com/2...21/cafe-delay/

Bush made efforts to delay and scale back CAFE standards.

LL @ demoncrats. Was that intentional

the audio and size of the navigation screen and odometers? Will we get an 8" screen, digital odometer, voice control, dual ventilated seats? I'm really curious about this.
A bunch of fancy, new-fangled crap to drive the price up. I'm sure there will be plenty of that. It just occurred to me. There is no way I'm buying another Maxima.

Last edited by 2003MaximaMan; 05-23-2014 at 09:46 AM.
Old 05-23-2014, 09:51 AM

I know that a$$hole. I'm talking about the more stringent requirements being forced down our throats by the current admin. Your rushing to his defense with such vitriol reveals yourself as a liberal.

http://archive.bangordailynews.com/2...21/cafe-delay/

Bush made efforts to delay and scale back CAFE standards.
ooh, talk about Vitriol. Nice pic.

I'm actually a registered Republican, so suck a d!ck. I'm simply tired of idiots blaming Obama this Obama that, that's all.

Also, quoted from your link about Bush scaling back CAFE standards, you should read again:

Last week, the president announced that several department heads will examine raising fuel economy standards
Article was May of 2007, so he wouldn't even be in office in 8 months.

Regardless, let's not derail this thread with off topic politics again, shall we?
Old 05-23-2014, 09:58 AM

Anyway, the point I meant to get at was that the results in 2016 are likely to have an impact on the very tight fuel efficiency standards set to take effect 10 years from now.
Old 05-23-2014, 10:10 AM
I'm needing a caw

what in the effin' fruck does the 2015 maxima have to do with Obama. Jesus
Old 05-23-2014, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
what in the effin' fruck does the 2015 maxima have to do with Obama. Jesus
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/29/bu...ards.html?_r=0

Quick Reply: The 8th generation Maxima...prototypes, news, updates, rumors and more