8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

New Maxima on Super Bowl ad?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2015, 05:24 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

New Maxima on Super Bowl ad?

Did anybody else notice the car driven by the race car driver when he picked up his son at the end of the Nissan Superbowl add? It flashed by so fast it was hard to pick up the details but I'm pretty sure it was the new Maxima. It looked to me like a combination of the last mazda 6 + the current maxima. I hope more info comes soon, I am tired of waiting.
Old 02-02-2015, 06:09 AM

What a car! Can't wait to see it in person!

Although I'll be keeping my 7th gen and driving it into the ground, I'm not gonna sit around and hate on the 8th gen, because, from the commercial, it looked like one sexy vehicle.
Old 02-02-2015, 06:55 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I like it a lot in terms of styling. Will be curious to see the details on it.

Took these screenshots from here:

Old 02-02-2015, 07:21 AM

Does anybody not see the crossover Accord in this thing? The back end lines look like a Murano not a car! Yikes. I hope this grows on me eventually!!! Just an amalgamation of several cars thrown together. Parts are nice but the whole is not so much. Oh well...
Old 02-02-2015, 12:25 PM

looks like the new max is begging for a 2 inch drop.
Old 02-02-2015, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by C2020
Did anybody else notice the car driven by the race car driver when he picked up his son at the end of the Nissan Superbowl add? It flashed by so fast it was hard to pick up the details but I'm pretty sure it was the new Maxima. It looked to me like a combination of the last mazda 6 + the current maxima. I hope more info comes soon, I am tired of waiting.
It was absolutely the 2016 8th gen Maxima. The instant it popped onto the screen, I halted the screen (via TiVo), lost all interest in the Super Bowl (did not find out who won until today), and spent most of the following six hours just studying the side view and rear view shown in the ad.

It is almost exactly what I anticipated. The concept car with adjustments that were required in order to have a practical road vehicle.

Of course we will have the usual doubters here, with complaints of bulkiness, Altima-like styling, busy grille, high waistline, ugly wheels, etc, etc. That has been normality here since the second millenium. But part of that 'disappointment' is due to the angle and lighting in the ad, part due to unrealistic expectations of something far different than the past, and part because the Maxima always has a styling that is a little ahead of folks taste, but which eventually grows on folks, and which most consider to be very nice five years later.

Such is life.
Old 02-02-2015, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by Puppetmaster
I like it a lot in terms of styling. Will be curious to see the details on it.
I love the styling also. The front hood/fender/nose sort of reminds me of the more expensive Infiniti 'M', which I like very much. The 'fastback' look has become very popular within the past year. I like the side sculpting, and the hint of a 'Coke bottle' shape. This car also offers lots of opportunity for modification. I suspect we will see some folks blacking out the grill bar, while others may paint the grill bar the same color as the body. Many will be lowering their 8th gen, while others may black out the chrome bar over the license tag frame. It will be fun to see all the mods.

But, as you said, the really important thing is the details. What surprises lie behind that nice styling?

Thanks for getting the 8th gen board up so quickly, and for bringing the ad photos here for easy reference.
Old 02-02-2015, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by BIGIRISHSTL
Does anybody not see the crossover Accord in this thing? The back end lines look like a Murano not a car! Yikes. I hope this grows on me eventually!!! Just an amalgamation of several cars thrown together. Parts are nice but the whole is not so much. Oh well...
The one advantage of being very old is that we gradually learn things. One thing I have learned over the 66 years I have been driving is that initial photos of a new generation car often give a misleading impression. Sometimes, the impression is more favorable than the actual car merits. Other times, the car in real life is more beautiful than the pictures suggested.

Time passes and things change. The traditional 'three box' styling of sedans has sort of faded in recent years. Current styling for sedans is moving toward the 'fastback coupe' preferred by many auto enthusiasts. The side photo was taken from just forward of straight at the side. When we see this car on the dealer lot, the Maxima will not resemble the Murano from either the side nor back. I honestly believe that once you see this car 'in the flesh', it will grow on you very quickly.
Old 02-03-2015, 05:33 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
I love the styling also. The front hood/fender/nose sort of reminds me of the more expensive Infiniti 'M', which I like very much. The 'fastback' look has become very popular within the past year. I like the side sculpting, and the hint of a 'Coke bottle' shape. This car also offers lots of opportunity for modification. I suspect we will see some folks blacking out the grill bar, while others may paint the grill bar the same color as the body. Many will be lowering their 8th gen, while others may black out the chrome bar over the license tag frame. It will be fun to see all the mods.

But, as you said, the really important thing is the details. What surprises lie behind that nice styling?

Thanks for getting the 8th gen board up so quickly, and for bringing the ad photos here for easy reference.
DanNY should get the credit for getting the 8th Gen section up and running, I'm just a spectator these days.

Yes, the M was the first thing that came to mind when I saw it too. The rear end is definitely on the larger side, but I see your point about the sportback styling, and am not opposed to it at all. I mean, you want a big sedan booty, look at the Taurus. Anyway, I'm primarily interested to see if and how the transmission has changed for the 8Gs.
Old 02-07-2015, 12:08 PM

You can signup to receive 8th Gen Maxima product launch updates at the following URL address.

http://www.nissanusa.com/with-dad-nissan-commercial/
Old 02-23-2015, 01:46 PM

‘With Dad’ Ad Spot Voted As Favorite Super Bowl Commercial; YouTube AdBlitz Winner Introduces 2016 Nissan Maxima Sports Sedan

The 90-second commercial was also voted as the most favorite advertisement in the 2015 YouTube Adblitz award.

Over 22 million views thus far.

http://www.kdramastars.com/articles/...s-sedan-ad.htm
Old 03-23-2015, 07:30 AM

Kinda looks like a pathfinder from the side profile....Looks really heavy!
Old 03-23-2015, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by CMax03
Kinda looks like a pathfinder from the side profile....Looks really heavy!
That superbowl photo does make the car look heavy. The bulky looking fenders taken from the old Infiniti 'M' also make the car look more massive. The photo being taken at night under strange lighting also seems to add to the weight. Darker colors also make the car seem bigger and heavier.

But thankfully, this car will be very similar to the 7th gen in weight and size. Very slightly shorter and wider, but still around 3600 pounds. If you check the much better photos on the '2016 Maxima official release photos' thread, the photos of the red Maxima taken from the Nissan site make the car look much less massive.

Last edited by lightonthehill; 03-23-2015 at 02:41 PM.
Old 03-23-2015, 03:27 PM

The 7th gen looked really good at some angles and somewhat awkward from a low, rear view with the wide body and more narrow top. Almost like a crow's nest. Most angles were flattering to my eye. Not sure about this 8th gen yet...will have to see more to decide.

First impression is that it needed to be a little more sleek and not so "fat" looking. The concept car's lines accomplished that.