8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

Driver Attention Alert (DAA) AND Moving Object Detection (MOD)

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2015, 03:18 PM

Driver Attention Alert (DAA) AND Moving Object Detection (MOD)

These two safety features are only available on the Platinum. Is either important enough to factor into the decision.

Driver Attention Alert (DAA):

This forward-thinking technology works by monitoring your steering patterns. Should the system detect any unusual steering activity, it will alert you audibly with a chime, and visually by lighting a coffee cup icon on your display, letting you know it may be time for a break.

Around View® Monitor with Moving Object Detection:

A rearview monitor is great when backing up, but when it comes to parking, it's nice to see more than just what's directly behind you. Maxima's available Around View® Monitor uses four cameras to give you a virtual 360º bird's-eye view of your vehicle, with selectable split-screen close-ups of the front, rear, and curbside views. And since all obstacles aren't stationary, the available Moving Object Detection system can warn you about moving objects detected in your vicinity.[*]

Old 07-05-2015, 06:19 AM

I can live without the around view, although coming from a 5th gen, I find all Maximas generations after to have huge blind spots and even worse rear visibility. Arguably the 8th gen is better than the 7th gen in this regard, but they're close enough that it's a matter of personal taste.

The doze detector is a big deal, and since it's just software, they should really make that standard. Driver fatigue is a factor in a large percentage of accidents.
Old 07-05-2015, 08:20 AM
cnp

I am quite skeptical on the DAA - it would be nice to better understand the software algorithms used, and to understand the possible false positive alerts that can come from this program. It can be worse to be beeped at frequently when NOT drowsy, learn to ignore the system, or worse, starting to have it become a distraction to driving. Of course, i trust this feature can be turned off if problematic. In theory, sounds interesting, in practice, we'll see with more time, use, feedback from others.

Originally Posted by homeyclaus
I can live without the around view, although coming from a 5th gen, I find all Maximas generations after to have huge blind spots and even worse rear visibility. Arguably the 8th gen is better than the 7th gen in this regard, but they're close enough that it's a matter of personal taste.

The doze detector is a big deal, and since it's just software, they should really make that standard. Driver fatigue is a factor in a large percentage of accidents.
Old 07-05-2015, 08:42 AM

My reasons to get a platinum would be for the power steering wheel, cooled seats, memory seats, and the around view. That being said, i have not decided if all that is worth the cash over an SL. Maybe in a lease.
Old 07-05-2015, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by steevo
My reasons to get a platinum would be for the power steering wheel, cooled seats, memory seats, and the around view. That being said, i have not decided if all that is worth the cash over an SL. Maybe in a lease.
With my wife amd I always in the car together and swapping driving chores daily, memory seats (and memory steering wheel and memory mirrors, etc) are a must. We also have grown very comfortable with the air conditioned driver's seat on our 7th gen. And unless the steering wheel is heated, I am able to drive only during the warm half of the year. At our age, we cannot turn our heads nearly as far as when we were pre-Medicare age (I hit Medicare age in the 1990s), so we really need the 'all-around view' system.

As to the 'Drousy Driver' system, we are going to pay close attention to what triggers it, so as to avoid unnecessary alerts. 'Adapt and advance' has been our motto for many decades.
Old 07-05-2015, 09:53 PM

i could do with out them. just another thing that can break.
Old 07-06-2015, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by steevo
I'm in the same boat. It depends on how well the dealer discounts the platinum.It's nice to have everything they offer, but some of that stuff i'll never use. I saw a loaded up SL for 38k sticker today exactly how I want it...so I may go that route and save a couple grand.