8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

Finally in Canada!

Old 06-30-2015, 06:50 PM

Finally in Canada!

My Nissan tech friend let me see a Black SV model but I wasn't allowed to drive it. Then I spotted a White SV model tonight nearby UW with Kitchener Nissan plates.

Not a fan of the exterior because it doesn't project the four door sports sedan look at all. The rear looked like a Toyota Avalon, the rims reminded me of the Toyota Corolla etc. On the other hand I really liked the interior it's really nice (very upscale feel) and the steering wheel's pretty neat. Sales reps could use the interior to veer folks towards the Maxima without a problem imo.

Keep your eyes out CANADIANS!!

Last edited by george__; 06-30-2015 at 07:02 PM.
Old 06-30-2015, 06:59 PM

There's a free shirt thing going on... Grab a selfie with one!
Old 06-30-2015, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by Jprocs24
There's a free shirt thing going on... Grab a selfie with one!
I wasn't allowed to take photos

Wish I could've though

- the gen 5 looked like a bland rectangular box in comparison to the gen 8.
- the gen 8 looked too toned down in comparison to the gen 7 to push the four door sedan look.
- gen 8 wheel gap is acceptable imo

At the end of the day, I think the gen 8 is like flying first class vs. economical in a exclusive jet. And I would buy it if I wanted a comfy highway cruiser over a Avalon for sure

Last edited by george__; 06-30-2015 at 08:05 PM.
Old 07-01-2015, 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by george__
I wasn't allowed to take photos

Wish I could've though

- the gen 5 looked like a bland rectangular box in comparison to the gen 8.
- the gen 8 looked too toned down in comparison to the gen 7 to push the four door sedan look.
- gen 8 wheel gap is acceptable imo

At the end of the day, I think the gen 8 is like flying first class vs. economical in a exclusive jet. And I would buy it if I wanted a comfy highway cruiser over a Avalon for sure
I think when you drive this 8th gen, you will find that the ride is not 'Detroit cushy' because of soft springs and tires, but because the chassi has been changed to use modern technology to 'program' the bumps out, even though the car is gripping the road tightly and staying level in sharp turns at speed. This 8th gen is everything my 1966 Olds Delta 88 was not. The reality is that this new 8th gen suspension technology is far more advanced than any Maxima chassi ever built.

And all this wonderful technology will soon be available in beautiful downtown Saskatoon, Saskatchewan for only $50,000 or so.
Old 07-01-2015, 05:53 PM
Jer

You have friends? Wow, sure you didn't just annoy the crap out of him?

Wasn't allowed to drive it? Surprise surprise. Maybe he didn't want you to crash into a pick up truck, or swerve into a bush/tree/other car.

It doesn't project a sports sedan look? Were you drinking at the time, or is this just your editorial attempt at an opinion?

My Nissan tech friend let me see a Black SV
model but I wasn't allowed to drive it. Then I spotted a White SV model tonight nearby UW with Kitchener Nissan plates.

Not a fan of the exterior because it doesn't project the four door sports sedan look at all. The rear looked like a Toyota Avalon, the rims reminded me of the Toyota Corolla etc. On the other hand I really liked the interior it's really nice (very upscale feel) and the steering wheel's pretty neat. Sales reps could use the interior to veer folks towards the Maxima without a problem imo.

Keep your eyes out CANADIANS!!
Old 07-01-2015, 07:18 PM

Hunt Club Nissan already had their Maxima day like almost two weeks ago. They were showing it off outside while having a BBQ. It was sitting right next to the Jet black GTR they have as well. Phone any other nissan dealer in Ottawa and you'll be told to wait a week. Hunt club has all the stock in Ottawa hahahahaha.
Old 07-01-2015, 07:28 PM

From Canada and relevant for us down South as well, guy at Maxima Top Gun Academy.
. At end he said it feels more softly sprung than TLX,A4 or 3 series. You can hear that imitation sound quite well the last 4 mins or so going around the track!
Old 07-01-2015, 07:53 PM

Also they were not in an SR at the end.
Old 07-01-2015, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by MONTE 01&97 SE
From Canada and relevant for us down South as well, guy at Maxima Top Gun Academy. My Nissan Maxima Top Gun Academy Experience - YouTube. At end he said it feels more softly sprung than TLX,A4 or 3 series. You can hear that imitation sound quite well the last 4 mins or so going around the track!

Ahhhh . . . speed, handling and comfort to boot.

I don't think the CVT on the 6th gen would have survived that. Nissan has brought the CVT to a higher level. Of course there will always be those who had rather do all the tranny work themselves. I was that way when the first slush boxes came out in the early 1950s.

Very nice ride. Thanks, Monte.
Old 07-01-2015, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
Ahhhh . . . speed, handling and comfort to boot.

I don't think the CVT on the 6th gen would have survived that. Nissan has brought the CVT to a higher level. Of course there will always be those who had rather do all the tranny work themselves. I was that way when the first slush boxes came out in the early 1950s.

Very nice ride. Thanks, Monte.
Hey Light, heck no the 6.5's CVT would not have! That fake gear change sound amplified by that fake interior engine sound is quit intriguing to me, after being in that business for so long is hard to do.
Old 07-02-2015, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by Brudface
Hunt Club Nissan already had their Maxima day like almost two weeks ago. They were showing it off outside while having a BBQ. It was sitting right next to the Jet black GTR they have as well. Phone any other nissan dealer in Ottawa and you'll be told to wait a week. Hunt club has all the stock in Ottawa hahahahaha.
They do? Oops. That's probably why they called me and I told them to bugger off as I was sick of sales calls at home. Oh well. I drive past there everyday - guess I should stop in and take a look.
Old 07-04-2015, 10:56 AM

Saw two today at St. Jacobs

Platinum and a SV trim
Old 07-04-2015, 11:41 PM

Saw two today at St. Jacobs

Platinum and a SV trim
So we know that at least two people in Canada are either comfortably wealthy or have very good credit.

It is so unfair that Canadians cannot negotiate with their dealer and get a base 2016 Maxima for under $30K, or a Platinum for under $40K.
Old 07-05-2015, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
So we know that at least two people in Canada are either comfortably wealthy or have very good credit.

It is so unfair that Canadians cannot negotiate with their dealer and get a base 2016 Maxima for under $30K, or a Platinum for under $40K.
St. Jacobs / Farmers market area = likely retired person but it was a weekend so can't be certain.

Toronto region probably has 100s by now