8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

Only Wood Trim On PLATINUM???

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2015, 09:30 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Only Wood Trim On PLATINUM???

No other Options for Platinum? I need the Climate Controlled seats and Panoramic Moonroof except that ugly wood trim
Old 07-13-2015, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by gznaruto
No other Options for Platinum? I need the Climate Controlled seats and Panoramic Moonroof except that ugly wood trim
All in the eyes of the beholder. At the Platinum level, wood trim is naturally mandatory. I really love the wood trim look, as it gives the image of luxury. Of course every person has their own desires when it comes to trim, but it would be economically inefficient to add optional trims to what is already a five model lineup of Maximas. This trim will eventually be a spot where aftermarket options will be offered by some companies who specialize in these sort of things.
Old 07-13-2015, 12:34 PM

Kudos LOTH, being from NY, I don't know if I could've been so kind.
Old 07-13-2015, 02:21 PM

Does the SL have the wood or the metal?
Old 07-13-2015, 02:34 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

SL has metal trim.
Old 07-13-2015, 02:51 PM

Someone could make good money creating carbon fiber overlays or replacements for those.
Old 07-13-2015, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by R1600Turbo
Someone could make good money creating carbon fiber overlays or replacements for those.
One niche opening up to enterprising folks through this restrictive five level/few options setup Nissam has with the 8th gen is aftermarket replacements of all kinds in several areas of the car. I think we might even see a replacement grill of some sort this coming winter.

I have absolutely no problem with the way Nissan is doing this, as it accomplishes several things:

1 - Reduces variations on the assembly line, reduces lots of descriptive variations in documentationing, etc, etc, reducing Nissan's costs.

2 - This reduced variation process helps the dealer in keeping one or more of each variation on his lot.

3 - Makes it easier for the buyer to deal with the salesperson, as the price of each of the five models will be easier to determine. Old system left so much variation in prices.
Old 07-13-2015, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by guitarman
Kudos LOTH, being from NY, I don't know if I could've been so kind.
I suppose I am just firmly settled into that quiescent period most folks go through somewhere between age 80 and age 90. I greatly enjoy watching the cows munch their way across our meadow. As I pass age 90, I will probably be one of those firebrands that will argue with a fencepost until the cows come home. But I will still be a Maxima fan. Generation nine? Maybe.

You mentioned NY. I still remember living in the Bronx during summers of the early 1950s. One little room in a boarding house with six one room 'apartments', all using the same one bath at the end of the hall. In the days before air conditioning.

Meanwhile, I am already planning the size and type material for the wheel well molding for the 8th gen I will soon be getting. One inch wide flexible (but hard) black molding will probably be my choice. I will be getting the Brilliant Silver, trimming it in only black, including a black rear diffuser with chrome trim bar. But I am wandering off topic, which is not good.

Last edited by lightonthehill; 07-13-2015 at 09:15 PM.
Old 07-13-2015, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
I suppose I am just firmly settled into that quiescent period most folks go through somewhere between age 80 and age 90. I greatly enjoy watching the cows munch their way across our meadow. As I pass age 90, I will probably be one of those firebrands that will argue with a fencepost until the cows come home. But I will still be a Maxima fan. Generation nine? Maybe.

You mentioned NY. I still remember living in the Bronx during summers of the early 1950s. One little room in a boarding house with six one room 'apartments', all using the same one bath at the end of the hall. In the days before air conditioning.

Meanwhile, I am already planning the size and type material for the wheel well molding for the 8th gen I will soon be getting. One inch wide flexible (but hard) black molding will probably be my choice. I will be getting the Brilliant Silver, trimming it in only black, including a black rear diffuser with chrome trim bar. But I am wandering off topic, which is not good.
Light you are cool, we have been debating/talking on the Max since the 5th gen and talking about the earlier gens as well since. Its good to see someone else that has good knowledge of the Max since the earlier days of the car! Most on the org don't know much about it prior to the 4th gen unfortunately!
Old 07-14-2015, 02:31 AM

Originally Posted by MONTE 01&97 SE
Light you are cool, we have been debating/talking on the Max since the 5th gen and talking about the earlier gens as well since. Its good to see someone else that has good knowledge of the Max since the earlier days of the car! Most on the org don't know much about it prior to the 4th gen unfortunately!
Yes, you and I have been bouncing Maximas off the wall here for years. I recall that when I was talking about earlier Nissan products such as the late 1960s Datsun 2000 roadster, the early 1970s Datsun 240Z, the late 1970s Datsun 200SX and the early 1980s Datsun diesel Maximas, you were one of the few here who knew what I was talking about.
Old 07-14-2015, 03:00 PM
cnp

Originally Posted by gznaruto
It would be easy to cover with 3M 1080 or similar vinyl in any solids, carbon fiber etc. I have the black carbon fiber, awaiting the anthracite, and will cover my silver trim with one or the other soon (and yes, will post pics). Also, you could paint. The trim should pop right off - there is LED accent lighting on the lower edge, thus I will be careful taking off (and use proper trim removal tools). Google image "3M 1080 CF" to see many examples of interior work done by owners.
Old 07-14-2015, 03:48 PM

Wood doesn't seem bad, but if it is real wood trim, that's great, but the faux plastic wood, forget it, would get an Audi if I want it wood, what be nice is an brushed aluminum trim would feel very different as like advance tech look
Old 01-18-2016, 03:48 PM

@gznaruto: You can buy the appliques from the estore for most of the interior parts in either black or carbon. Someone on another thread posted a pic of all the pieces inside the car you can order (forgot who though).
Old 01-18-2016, 07:11 PM

I have yet to see actual pictures of this applied or first hand accounts if it looks like it's good quality or feels cheap (and aftermarket). Anyone seen/read anything?