8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

2016 maximas a failure

Old 12-03-2018, 02:24 PM

Where were all you Manual Transmission guys back when Nissan had them cluttering up the Dealer lots because they could not sell them? Get over it, CVT is here to stay because it just plain works far better than a manual trans! The real question is if the Max will make it past 2021.
Old 12-03-2018, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by Lemonhawk
Where were all you Manual Transmission guys back when Nissan had them cluttering up the Dealer lots because they could not sell them? Get over it, CVT is here to stay because it just plain works far better than a manual trans! The real question is if the Max will make it past 2021.
lemonhawk - We don't know where those manual tranny guys WERE during the 1998 thru 2006 period when dealers absolutely refused to accept manual Maximas from Nissan because they could not GIVE them away. But we DO now where they WEREN'T. They were NOT at dealers buying manual Maximas. Even old-style automatic trannies are better than manuals, and this new Maxima CVT is better than the automatics. No manual tranny could give me the 33 MPG on freeways I am getting with this new CVT in a 3600 pound car with 300 HP. Like you, I have my fingers crossed we will have a Maxima going forward. We have gotten lots of positive hints, but every day it seems another sedan is axed. I have my fingers crossed. We can hope. One thing we absolutely DO know - If there is a 9th gen Maxima, it will thankfully NOT have an old-timey hand-crank starter, nor will it have an old-timey manual tranny. Those now belong in museums.

Old 12-05-2018, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by Lemonhawk
I was one of the few with a 2006 manual Maxima. I remember needing some warranty work on the transmission and arguing with the service adviser over the phone that my vehicle did in fact have a manual. My 7th gen. was obviously a CVT, which was the first automatic I have ever owned, and I can never see going back to a manual.
Old 12-05-2018, 08:01 PM

The "pretend" manual mode on the current Max is good enough for me, and I don't even use it that much. Occasionally I'll use it for the fun of it, but frankly I can't really do any better than the CVT computer can. With all the traffic around, a manual would get to be a pain real fast.

My complaint is that the torque converter (or I think it's that) isn't always as smooth as I would like. Sometimes there's a ever so slight bump when lightly tapping the gas and releasing. It's actually much smoother then when I first bought it, so maybe it'll completely work itself out in time .

Old 12-05-2018, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by Fishlet
The "pretend" manual mode on the current Max is good enough for me, and I don't even use it that much. Occasionally I'll use it for the fun of it, but frankly I can't really do any better than the CVT computer can. With all the traffic around, a manual would get to be a pain real fast.

My complaint is that the torque converter (or I think it's that) isn't always as smooth as I would like. Sometimes there's a ever so slight bump when lightly tapping the gas and releasing. It's actually much smoother then when I first bought it, so maybe it'll completely work itself out in time .

Regarding the "smoothness" you talk about, my 17SL (22,000 miles) has acted like this for the past two winters here in Ohio. I notice that in the spring and summer months this "slight bump" totally disappears. I've nailed it down to temperature under 40 degrees F causes the bump. Above this and the smoothness returns. Nissan techs just shake their heads. My '07 Altima SL never exhibited this.
Old 12-06-2018, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by compyelc4
Regarding the "smoothness" you talk about, my 17SL (22,000 miles) has acted like this for the past two winters here in Ohio. I notice that in the spring and summer months this "slight bump" totally disappears. I've nailed it down to temperature under 40 degrees F causes the bump. Above this and the smoothness returns. Nissan techs just shake their heads. My '07 Altima SL never exhibited this.
come to think of it, I got it a year ago in winter... so maybe that's it. It hasn't been as bad as it was then, but it hasn't got that cold here yet. Fortunately we only get about 2 months of "winter" round here

Old 12-09-2018, 11:43 AM

Its pretty easy to see why.. 8th Maxima looks like a Altima.. Its not worth 10 grand more than an Altima.. You can get a 3.5 in a Altima loaded and still be thousands less than a Maxima. Its a no brainer.. Nissan needs to make the Maxima look completely different from the low end Altima.
Until that happens.., Maxima sales will suffer.. but there are always suckers born every minute...lol
Old 12-09-2018, 12:38 PM

Inappropriate timing by a troll or an Altima owner, or both.
Old 12-09-2018, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Nmax5150
Its pretty easy to see why.. 8th Maxima looks like a Altima.. Its not worth 10 grand more than an Altima.. You can get a 3.5 in a Altima loaded and still be thousands less than a Maxima. Its a no brainer.. Nissan needs to make the Maxima look completely different from the low end Altima.
Until that happens.., Maxima sales will suffer.. but there are always suckers born every minute...lol
Drive both vehicles and there is no comparison.
Old 12-09-2018, 06:21 PM

Oh no, the old "They Look the same" debate.

of course they will have some similarities, the Sentra and the Altima have some similarities too. What's wrong with having a common design theme? It's all in the details, and if you look carefully the Max has much more attention to detail. And they knocked it out of the park with the interior. It might be the best interior of any Nissan (including Infiniti)

it cracks me up when some people call it ugly, I guess you either love it or you hate it.

Im still undecided on whether or not the 2016 or 2019 looks better. I kind of like the new changes to the front, but prefer the back of the 2016 better. Wish they had that new Tan leather when I bought mine.

Old 12-09-2018, 06:59 PM

They gave me an Altima to drive while waiting for the brake fix. Its not even close. Glad to get the Max back!
Old 06-04-2019, 09:47 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Read this thread with a lot of interest as I go back a ways with "sports cars". I had a 1962 MGA and later had 1969 Datsun Roadster, both of which had manual transmissions. Why did they have manual? because automatics sucked. As automatics progressed and they were starting to be used in formula one, attitudes started to change a little. I had a 1965 GTO with a bunch of horsepower with a 2 speed auto on the tree that I regularly embarrassed guys with 4 speeds street light racing because I didn't have to shift. Right tool for the job. I can tell an age disparity in this thread and I find it humorous some of the comments from younger "enthusiasts". I wonder if they have ever driven a real sports car. I just purchased a 2018 SL last night and have only driven it a few miles, but can already tell the transmission wouldn't affect how fast I can go thru tight curves. Seems like the right power band all the time. I would love to drive that old Datsun again, but time marches on.
Old 06-04-2019, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by crazy-b
Read this thread with a lot of interest as I go back a ways with "sports cars". I had a 1962 MGA and later had 1969 Datsun Roadster, both of which had manual transmissions. Why did they have manual? because automatics sucked. As automatics progressed and they were starting to be used in formula one, attitudes started to change a little. I had a 1965 GTO with a bunch of horsepower with a 2 speed auto on the tree that I regularly embarrassed guys with 4 speeds street light racing because I didn't have to shift. Right tool for the job. I can tell an age disparity in this thread and I find it humorous some of the comments from younger "enthusiasts". I wonder if they have ever driven a real sports car. I just purchased a 2018 SL last night and have only driven it a few miles, but can already tell the transmission wouldn't affect how fast I can go thru tight curves. Seems like the right power band all the time. I would love to drive that old Datsun again, but time marches on.
Yes there is always lots of snorting about the CVT, usually by the boy racer contingent. Those enthusiastic grear jammers should not buy this car! For the other 95% of us, Nissans work in tightening up the CVT means many more powerband combinations than even a 10 speed automatic and usually pretty good MPGs to match! The turbine smooth power application make for an effortless cruise without lots of choppy downshifts and upshifts etc. Is the CVT flawless? Well no, but it is close to outstanding for my kind of driving and chances are, yours too.

By the way, way back in high school (way back)I had a friend with a 63 300 HP Chevy SS with a 2 speed Powerglide. He did not shift out of low till 90 mph and usually dusted most of the 3 and 4 speed boys to 100 mph.
Old 06-04-2019, 02:08 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by robtroxel
Yes there is always lots of snorting about the CVT, usually by the boy racer contingent. Those enthusiastic grear jammers should not buy this car! For the other 95% of us, Nissans work in tightening up the CVT means many more powerband combinations than even a 10 speed automatic and usually pretty good MPGs to match! The turbine smooth power application make for an effortless cruise without lots of choppy downshifts and upshifts etc. Is the CVT flawless? Well no, but it is close to outstanding for my kind of driving and chances are, yours too.

By the way, way back in high school (way back)I had a friend with a 63 300 HP Chevy SS with a 2 speed Powerglide. He did not shift out of low till 90 mph and usually dusted most of the 3 and 4 speed boys to 100 mph.

My GTO was good to a 100 in first gear. when it went into High I was done.