8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

Rear Subwoofers, keep amp, aftermarket driver

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2019, 12:21 PM

Rear Subwoofers, keep amp, aftermarket driver

According to the Factory Service Manual, the drivers on the rear deck are actually two subwoofers. If this is the case, has anyone used the factory amp to an aftermarket sub such as a DVC 10 with a fiberglass enclosure in a pocket of the trunk? It looks like the factory impedance is two ohms each, perfect for a DVC 2 ohm subwoofer. I see many advantages to this, it hopefully would not screw up the active noise cancellation in a way that I have read installing an aftermarket amp does (ANC must be disabled), do not need to worry about running power wire and finding a remote turn on signal, do not have to worry about a line to low converter, etc. Any experience with this method?
Old 06-05-2019, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by DK SPL Audio
According to the Factory Service Manual, the drivers on the rear deck are actually two subwoofers. If this is the case, has anyone used the factory amp to an aftermarket sub such as a DVC 10 with a fiberglass enclosure in a pocket of the trunk? It looks like the factory impedance is two ohms each, perfect for a DVC 2 ohm subwoofer. I see many advantages to this, it hopefully would not screw up the active noise cancellation in a way that I have read installing an aftermarket amp does (ANC must be disabled), do not need to worry about running power wire and finding a remote turn on signal, do not have to worry about a line to low converter, etc. Any experience with this method?
What you intending will produce sound, so yes it will work. However the factory amp for the subs is not rated high, so most likely it will be pointless. Also since you now have the sub inside the trunk with no bump in power... it might actually sound worse.

But If you have a sub lying around and want to give it a try, give it a try...
Old 06-05-2019, 09:46 AM

I actually do, I have an Image Dynamics 10 and 12, both suitable for infinite baffle, although glassing an enclosure would be fun too. Either of these would most certainly would drop lower than the stock ones, even with no bump in power.