8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

Whistling moonroof anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2015, 06:38 AM
cnp

Whistling moonroof anyone?

After 5000 miles, starting to notice more whistling/wind noise from the rear and back sides of the moonroof above 70 mph. Took the car to 100, much worse. I can easily stop it by grabbing the side or back glass frame rail and pulling down. Conversely, even at low speeds (eg 60), I can bring it on by lightly pushing up on the glass. Likely cause is a definite Bernoulli effect with a low pressure zone over the roof as one goes faster, giving a little pull up on the moonroof, and now an inadequately down locked moonroof without enough pressure to counter this effect. So, looking at the mechanism, don't see how the dealer can adjust anything.
Anyone have this, and anyone get it fixed satisfactorily???
Thank you,
Carl

Last edited by cnp; 12-05-2015 at 09:13 AM.
Old 12-05-2015, 06:43 AM

I have the same issue windy days are worse
Old 12-06-2015, 08:55 AM

I have this too...noticed it more on very cold days. Seems like the weather sealing is not as tight as it should be. If I press up on the glass while the car is in motion it gets louder.

Last edited by spidgeon; 12-06-2015 at 03:31 PM. Reason: Edit
Old 12-07-2015, 06:12 AM
cnp

I am going to run this through the dealer this week when i have the gas tank recall addressed. I found a video on an older model Maxima where it is possible to adjust the vertical height of the moon roof with shims that can be added or subtracted. If they don't fix this, I will look into it myself, and if no adjustment possible, will look at adding seals to stop this. Will post here... .
Old 12-07-2015, 08:03 AM

Not a peep from mine.
Old 01-28-2016, 05:54 PM
cnp

Update - had the dealer look at it finally since it was in for the gas tank recall, and they did an adjustment that partially helped. Whistles now above 80 mph, not 65-70. Will take it back for to see if they can improve further. I did find the FSM online, with a chapter covering the sunroof, but couldn't see an adjustment in the vertical direction.
Will post an update again... .
Old 01-29-2016, 06:01 AM

Try it at 150 mph!
Old 03-13-2016, 06:03 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by cnp
Update - had the dealer look at it finally since it was in for the gas tank recall, and they did an adjustment that partially helped. Whistles now above 80 mph, not 65-70. Will take it back for to see if they can improve further. I did find the FSM online, with a chapter covering the sunroof, but couldn't see an adjustment in the vertical direction.
Will post an update again... .
Thanks for sharing, as I am having the same problem with my car. Any luck with the dealer? I took my car to get checked out and after driving it for about 80 miles, they acknowledge the problem but don't know where it's coming from. Doing my own research, I realized the problem is coming from my moon roof as well. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-21-2016, 07:26 AM

Have 10,000 miles on my car and just started noticing it

Gets light at 70 mph, and real noticeable at 80 mph
Old 03-25-2016, 04:01 PM
cnp

An update on my original post. So, I have now taken it twice to the dealer to try and fix. Downloaded the FSM chapter on the moonroof too. Spoke with the dealer's senior mechanic, he tried adjustments twice to little avail (some temporary improvement in whistling - eg a little higher speed until starts).
Next step - remove whole headliner, front and back windshield, full moonroof assembly and replace if they can show not in spec. Too drastic of a maneuver, plus I am afraid of all the new rattles that may show up.
So, I will look at either propping some material against the existing seal to increase it's height vs add an adhesive weather strip (thin) on top of the existing seal. I was trying to think of a soft foam I could inject into the existing seal to firm it up, but may be problematic to keep even all the way around.
Will write more when fixed... .
Old 04-19-2016, 10:20 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Ive been having this issue on mine since last fall. Im actually sitting at the dealership now for service and having them look at it. Wouldnt you know it - driving to the dealership today the sunroof wasnt making the whistling noise.
Old 04-19-2016, 04:20 PM

Dang, sorry to hear this, ours is still pretty new (<1K miles) but will be doing a long highway trip next week, will be sure to listen for it. I love the platinum appointments but was never a fan of any moon roof, let alone two of em...
cheers,
willie
Old 04-20-2016, 03:16 PM
Dab

Originally Posted by mrgooch
Try it at 150 mph!
try it at 150, too funny!!! but thats why i got the SR so i wouldnt have any problems with the moonroof!!!
Old 03-22-2017, 01:00 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Update / Resolution?

Has anyone had this issue resolved by the dealership? My 2016 is currently at the dealer but I'm being told that they cannot duplicate the issue because they cannot drive the car at a rate of speed to create the whistle. Any updates are appreciated.
Old 03-22-2017, 01:25 PM
cnp

Yes, indeed - problem is fixed. But not by dealer with two service attempts adjusting moonroof. And even with them able to duplicate problem (typically colder days). Next step was to replace whole unit (not just glass) which is a big operation - no thanks.
Here is what i did:
1) Open moon roof (slide)
2) Pull off plastic trim piece on each side that cover rear moon roof support brackets. These are on the top of the rear support arms (tricky on this plastic cover - pull back part down and out, then you need to slide back and down to disconnect IIRC). The upper support bracket with two bolts will be visible.
3) Take out the two bolts. Do other side.
4) Raise rear of glass just enough to so glass attachment bracket clears the arm support bracket that is was bolted to so the bolt holes are clear.
5) I then ovalized the bracket holes in the glass bracket (the non-threaded holes obviously) with a dremel tool/grinding cone upwards maybe 3mm, so that the glass can be adjusted lower.
6) Lower the glass back in place, re-bolt the attach bolts but push the glass down while tightening.
This now allowed the rear of the moonroof to sit a few mm lower, seat better against gasket, and fully solved my whistle (took the car to 120 mph - nada!).
Of course, this assumes the whistle in your car is coming from the back part of the glass, which I could hear in my case and prove by pulling the glass down from the inside as I drove.
Hope this helps... .
Old 03-22-2017, 01:36 PM

Yes! I have this problem on my 16 SL with 7200 miles. Most worse on colder windy days.
Old 03-22-2017, 01:46 PM
cnp

Yes, mine was evident on cold days, not in summer. If temps were around freezing, would whistle above 60 mph - faster I go, louder the whistle.
I believe the issue stems from a Bernoulli effect on the glass and cold weather stiffening of the gasket.
The Bernoulli effect is same principle that creates lift on a plane's wing, where air or a liquid that moves faster over a surface vs under it creates a lower pressure area - in this case, air curving over our car has to speed up to meet its underside counterpart in back at the same time, hence speeds up, and thus creates a relative low pressure zone that pulls up on the glass a little. When colder, the gasket stiffens, plus with a little uplift on the glass at speed creates a gap that whistles.
Hence my solution - ovalize the attachment bracket holes so the glass can be pulled down a little more tightly against the gasket. Only took 2-3 mm.
Old 03-22-2017, 04:28 PM

Carl (cnp) - Your analysis of the situation was astute, and attribution of this problem to the Bernoulli effect makes very good sense. Your devising a fix that worked perfectly is most impressive. I am putting your phone number on speed-dial.

J/K about speed dial, but I am saving your solution in case I have this problem.

Last edited by lightonthehill; 03-22-2017 at 04:30 PM.
Old 12-31-2017, 08:47 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

My 2017 is whistling at speeds over 70,Has been doing this for a few months. Dealer was clueless when asked about the issue. Thanks for the fix , I will adjust when the weather warms up alttle bit. Its been single digits a week now.
Old 01-27-2020, 06:20 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I fixed the whistle by placing rolled up cloth on the underside of the back seal. Was a little leary of removing anything. I accessed the seal from inside of the car after opening the moonroof. Took me a few minutes.
Old 01-28-2020, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by mrgooch
Try it at 150 mph!
You would need a different car
Old 07-05-2020, 10:08 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

My 2018 Maxima Platinum too

Thanks for the fix. Will definitely be trying this out. Very annoying and embarrassing with passengers in the car. This luxurious car should not be making this noise.

Additional question...with the rubber seal not sealing well, doesn't it allow water to get inside the roof? Where does the water go if it gets past the seal? I haven't seen any water damage from car washes. Thanks!
Old 07-06-2020, 04:41 AM

There are pillar drains for water in each sunroof equipped Maxima in the A and C pillars as I recall. Sunroof itself can be adjusted for a better seal.