8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

In Channel Vent Visors?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2016, 05:28 PM

In Channel Vent Visors?

Where the H-E-double hockey sticks are the vent visors for our cars? It's disturbing how much water comes in when cracking the window open in the rain.
Old 01-11-2016, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by 16sjmax
Where the H-E-double hockey sticks are the vent visors for our cars? It's disturbing how much water comes in when cracking the window open in the rain.
Agreed... there is a good bit. Definitely need some in channel low profile ones soon.
Old 01-12-2016, 07:34 PM

Living in blistering hot (and sometimes very wet) middle Georgia, rain guards (vent visors) are automatically at the top of my 'want' list every time I buy a new generation car. Unfortunately, the companies that make these things are always painfully slow to get them on the market. Waiting and hoping . . .
Old 03-15-2017, 08:21 AM

I found some, not Weathertech(my preference) brand but AVS. The reviews on them appear to be poor. So not sure I want to try them. Has anyone else found a good alternative?

The Reviews:
https://www.carid.com/avs/in-channel...212952#reviews

Amazon Amazon
Old 03-15-2017, 08:57 PM

Nice find, 09Maxima_Sam. I have been looking for vent visors for my 2016 for 18 months.

The ones you linked are AVS, which has been around since 1935, and which was acquired by the Lund Corporation in the late 1990s. I used AVS vent visors on my 2000 SE, 2004 SL and 2009 Platinum. They worked well, but were all three mounted OUTSIDE the window channel. These are mounted INSIDE the window channel.

I slightly prefer the inside mount, but window tolerances have grown tighter in the last twenty or thirty years in an effort to quieten things inside the car, so sometimes the fit of the inside type can cause the window to retract just as it is about to close. That is not good.

I may still try a set of these AVS vent visors, but I will wait until they have more than two reviews, one of which called them 'garbage', and one that gave a rating of 5 on a scale of 1 to 5. Surely the truth is somewhere in between. But where? I am hopeful the customer who had several of the visors break may not have installed them correctly.

Thanks again for the link. There may be hope after all.
Old 03-23-2017, 11:36 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Well Visors? I've seen a few members with them. They look good too! Look on eBay in 2016 Nissan Maxima parts and accessories.
Old 03-27-2017, 07:46 PM

wellvisors

Originally Posted by PlatMax
Well Visors? I've seen a few members with them. They look good too! Look on eBay in 2016 Nissan Maxima parts and accessories.
he is mine with the well visors on the ones from avs suck dont fit good at all
Attached Thumbnails In Channel Vent Visors?-img_0525.jpg  

Last edited by max16s; 03-27-2017 at 07:50 PM.
Old 03-27-2017, 08:06 PM

very nice car, max16s. Even though those visors appear to be 'outside mounted' instead of channel mounted, I think I prefer them to anything else I have seen. Thanks for the picture.
Old 03-28-2017, 07:00 PM

Just curious, but why do ya'll bother putting them on? If it's that hot why not just turn on the A/C for a bit? I feel like they ruin the shape of a car
Old 03-29-2017, 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by paliforever
Just curious, but why do ya'll bother putting them on? If it's that hot why not just turn on the A/C for a bit? I feel like they ruin the shape of a car
These are to enable leaving the windows cracked an inch or two when the car is going to be parked in blistering hot parking lots for extended periods. Keeps the inside temp from reaching 155 or so degrees down here in Dixie, thus extending the life of all upholstery parts, rear seat parcel shelf, dash, headliner, etc, as well as keeping things such as ChapStik from dissolving into liquid. That reduced temp also enables me to enter the car after it has been sitting in the heat for hours and not roast my buns and char my fingers before the AC has a chance to bring surface temps down a tad.

When the car is blistering hot inside, the AC can bring the air temp in the car down quickly, but it takes much longer to bring the surface temp of the seat, steering wheel, seat belt buckles, etc, down to reasonable temps.

No, these vent shades/rain guards do not add to the attractiveness of the vehicle, but when dealing with the heat here in middle Georgia, practicality and survival are sort of equal to looks with me. At any rate, any great impression my shiny clean Maxima may have on an observer is offset when they realize the driver is a withered leftover from the middle of the first half of the second millennium. Thankfully, I can sort of hide behind the vent guards.
Old 03-29-2017, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
These are to enable leaving the windows cracked an inch or two when the car is going to be parked in blistering hot parking lots for extended periods. Keeps the inside temp from reaching 155 or so degrees down here in Dixie, thus extending the life of all upholstery parts, rear seat parcel shelf, dash, headliner, etc, as well as keeping things such as ChapStik from dissolving into liquid. That reduced temp also enables me to enter the car after it has been sitting in the heat for hours and not roast my buns and char my fingers before the AC has a chance to bring surface temps down a tad.

When the car is blistering hot inside, the AC can bring the air temp in the car down quickly, but it takes much longer to bring the surface temp of the seat, steering wheel, seat belt buckles, etc, down to reasonable temps.

No, these vent shades/rain guards do not add to the attractiveness of the vehicle, but when dealing with the heat here in middle Georgia, practicality and survival are sort of equal to looks with me. At any rate, any great impression my shiny clean Maxima may have on an observer is offset when they realize the driver is a withered leftover from the middle of the first half of the second millennium. Thankfully, I can sort of hide behind the vent guards.
Thanks for helping me better understand their purpose. At first glance the additions to the side windows always reminded me of what we used to call "Kentucky Go fasters". Right there with the plastic sunroof covers and huge mudflaps.
Old 03-29-2017, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill

Looool i appreciate the detail. It makes sense now. I suppose it's just a matter of preference. I live in NC so I understand your pains in the summer. My previous car had black leather with no tint for a month in the heat and I regretted my life every time I stepped in it
Old 03-30-2017, 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by paliforever
Looool i appreciate the detail. It makes sense now. I suppose it's just a matter of preference. I live in NC so I understand your pains in the summer. My previous car had black leather with no tint for a month in the heat and I regretted my life every time I stepped in it
Which brings up a little whim of mine regarding the 8th gen.

I had a black interior in my 1949 Studebaker (before the days of air conditioning), and I swore to never have a black interior again. I kept that promise for 65 years. I was always able to find an interior other than black. I usually chose gray. And then, here comes the 8th gen Maxima, and (except for the SR with camel), the only interior colors for the 8th gen are an off-white and a black. I scoured the inventories of dozens of Nissan dealers, searching for exactly the Platinum I wanted with off-white ("cashmere"?) interior, but found none.

Then folks began posting here that the off-white upholstery was turning to blue when the driver wore jeans. So I switched to looking for a black interior, found the one I was looking for, and bought my first black interior since 1949.

I would love to have gray upholstery in my silver 8th gen, but it just was not to be.
Old 03-23-2020, 02:56 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by max16s
he is mine with the well visors on the ones from avs suck dont fit good at all
Are you able to provide a link to these for a 17 maxima, please. When the window is up how much space would you say is between the window and the visor? I got low profile, exterior mount and they suck! Water comes right in. 🙄 I also tried in channel and couldn’t get my windows to go up. I’d greatly appreciate your feedback... it’s driving me nuts!!!