8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

How significant is the Around View Monitor over standard backup?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2016, 03:34 PM

How significant is the Around View Monitor over standard backup?

I'm struggling with a bit of buyer's remorse about getting the SR over the Platinum, primarily over the moonroof, but I'm wondering how much I'm missing by not having the AVM. My current car doesn't even have a backup camera.

I don't generally park much on-street. I primarily use my 2-car garage at home (where my main goal is to fit into a narrow entrance) or fit into parking spaces in a normal-style covered garage at work.

How well does the moving object detection work? What kind of range does it have? My concern is pedestrians while I'm backing out at work. Cross traffic is useful, but I'm assuming it doesn't handle pedestrians.
Old 01-19-2016, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by slpgh
I'm struggling with a bit of buyer's remorse about getting the SR over the Platinum, primarily over the moonroof, but I'm wondering how much I'm missing by not having the AVM. My current car doesn't even have a backup camera.

I don't generally park much on-street. I primarily use my 2-car garage at home (where my main goal is to fit into a narrow entrance) or fit into parking spaces in a normal-style covered garage at work.

How well does the moving object detection work? What kind of range does it have? My concern is pedestrians while I'm backing out at work. Cross traffic is useful, but I'm assuming it doesn't handle pedestrians.
Not sure if this is specific for the Platinum or what you are asking but today when driving, a pedestrian crossed the street in the middle of traffic. When he stepped out from the lane to my left from behind cars, the sensors fired off. If I didn't see him, it would have given me a second or two to react. Nice to have but not necessary if you pay attention while driving.
Regarding the cameras, I like the front camera when pulling into stalls with high bumpers. I can see in front to make sure I don't scrape. Hope this helps.
Old 01-19-2016, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by kaulana47
Not sure if this is specific for the Platinum or what you are asking but today when driving, a pedestrian crossed the street in the middle of traffic. When he stepped out from the lane to my left from behind cars, the sensors fired off. If I didn't see him, it would have given me a second or two to react. Nice to have but not necessary if you pay attention while driving.
Regarding the cameras, I like the front camera when pulling into stalls with high bumpers. I can see in front to make sure I don't scrape. Hope this helps.
Thanks for the reply - yes, I was asking about the platinum since it is limited to that trim level. I didn't realize that the MOD operated while driving - I thought it was only active while you're in parking mode (assuming there is one). Does it trigger an audible alarm?
Old 01-19-2016, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by slpgh
Thanks for the reply - yes, I was asking about the platinum since it is limited to that trim level. I didn't realize that the MOD operated while driving - I thought it was only active while you're in parking mode (assuming there is one). Does it trigger an audible alarm?
Yes you receive an audible alarm. I find that the car has many blind spots and this technology really helps.
Old 01-20-2016, 07:08 AM

I love the AVM when backing into a parking space. I can easily gauge the lines of the parking space and it makes for a much easier task. Do I need it???? No, but it sure is handy. I also like the front facing camera when pulling up to parking bumpers like @kaulana47 mentioned.
Old 01-20-2016, 07:40 AM

I have found mine very useful. I am continually surprised by the range of the moving object detection.
Old 01-20-2016, 09:05 AM

Frankly to 360 degree view is the best situational tool I have used. Ditto for the other features as well.
Old 01-21-2016, 05:32 AM

The 360 view camera is one of my favorite features on my Platinum. Now that I have it I hate to drive a car without the feature.
Old 01-21-2016, 06:39 AM

It is a fantastic feature for all of the aforementioned reasons. Love it.
Old 01-21-2016, 10:23 AM

Thanks everyone - I'd definitely like to have it in my (next) car. I wish Nissan hasn't reserved it for the Platinum trim, but as it's the only platinum-only feature I really cared about, I don't think I could have justified going further above my intended budget. I ended up picking the SR, and having the backup camera and the parking sensors is already a significant step over my old car. The 360 wasn't available in the other cars I was considering, so the Nissan was still the right choice.
Old 01-21-2016, 08:58 PM

AVM has turned out to be something I use a lot. the door sills are high and this is the 1st car i have owned that has been hard to gauge the front end. Its low and i've already seen one maxima with a crunched bumper from hitting a curb more than likely. being able to see an entire parking space has made driving this car easier. maybe its the high door sills, but my Tahoe is easier to park than this car lol..
Old 01-21-2016, 09:58 PM

I wish they've placed the sensors on the SR a bit lower so I'd be less worried about hitting low things - they've been pretty effective against high barriers but I have no idea how low their range is. I doubt they'll pick up curbs and bumpbs.

I wished I had it a couple of times today (e.g., figuring out whether I'm centered in a parking space) and also going into my garage. My guess is that by 2017-2018 it'll be standard on the other trims.
Old 02-25-2016, 07:47 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I wish they had a "SR Platinum" trim, which had all the features of the platinum, the 19" wheels, spoiler, and improved suspension from the SR.

With that being said, I do really enjoy the AVM. Being able to see the lines on either side ensures that I park between the lines evenly. It's also difficult to see the front of the vehicle so the front camera is quite helpful when pulling forward.
Old 02-25-2016, 08:18 PM

I feel that car has many blind spots, so the AVM is something that I've learned to trust. Passengers are always wowed!
Old 02-26-2016, 07:57 AM

had it on my 2014 Pathfinder Plat Prem...it was helpful but do I miss it, not really. The back up camera on my SR works just as great.
Old 02-26-2016, 10:42 AM

Avr

I really depend on the top-down view, even more than I ever thought I would!

My last car was a Cadillac ATS (smaller) and I have already been able to park this car in spots I wouldn't have tried with the Caddy... visibility is King when parking! I'm hooked
Old 02-26-2016, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by kaulana47
Sensors pay better attention than humans.