8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

Cleaning the Alcantara Steering Wheel

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2016, 09:57 AM

Thumbs up Cleaning the Alcantara Steering Wheel

Hey all,

I've noticed over the past six months or so, my camel colored section on my steering wheel has gotten pretty dirty and looked matted down. So I did some research on how to clean the Alcantara section and took action. It looks like new now! I don't have before and after pics, but I'll explain my process. Pretty simple.

1. Warm water bucket with Dawn dish soap. Not a crazy amount, but enough to make it sudsy.

2. 2 x microfiber towels. One to get wet, wring it out pretty well, and lightly wipe the steering wheel in different directions. You may have to do this a few different times and rinse the towel in between. Second towel is used to pat dry the Alcantara. Resist wiping motions as it can thin the Alcantara and cause it to ball up.

3. Soft bristle toothbrush. After you pat dry use the toothbrush lightly in different directions to fluff or stand back up the Alcantara.

4. Let it air dry. I turned on my heated steering wheel to assist in the drying process. Not sure if it helped or not. No scientific data to back up this part.

5. Sit back and enjoy your factory fresh and grime free steering wheel.

I have found this process on various other car enthusiast forums and this has been the best tried and true method. And it worked well for me.

Marc
Old 01-27-2016, 10:51 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks for the information. I am going to pick up my Maxima today but my wife already told me that I would get the steering wheel dirty in no time. Now I have a remedy to clean it when the time comes!
Old 01-27-2016, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by djloveu
Thanks for the information. I am going to pick up my Maxima today but my wife already told me that I would get the steering wheel dirty in no time. Now I have a remedy to clean it when the time comes!
My wife said that same thing. In her defense, it did get dirty, but what doesn't?!?
Old 04-05-2016, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by myaeger18
Hey all,

I've noticed over the past six months or so, my camel colored section on my steering wheel has gotten pretty dirty and looked matted down. So I did some research on how to clean the Alcantara section and took action. It looks like new now! I don't have before and after pics, but I'll explain my process. Pretty simple.

1. Warm water bucket with Dawn dish soap. Not a crazy amount, but enough to make it sudsy.

2. 2 x microfiber towels. One to get wet, wring it out pretty well, and lightly wipe the steering wheel in different directions. You may have to do this a few different times and rinse the towel in between. Second towel is used to pat dry the Alcantara. Resist wiping motions as it can thin the Alcantara and cause it to ball up.

3. Soft bristle toothbrush. After you pat dry use the toothbrush lightly in different directions to fluff or stand back up the Alcantara.

4. Let it air dry. I turned on my heated steering wheel to assist in the drying process. Not sure if it helped or not. No scientific data to back up this part.

5. Sit back and enjoy your factory fresh and grime free steering wheel.

I have found this process on various other car enthusiast forums and this has been the best tried and true method. And it worked well for me.

Marc
How about the seats' ? Nissan says damp terry cloth; wipe it down to dry? I do not like using these so called special cleaners for leather.
Since the Manufacture recommends WATER only as a chemical. I am just confused
Old 04-06-2016, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by xydehead
How about the seats' ? Nissan says damp terry cloth; wipe it down to dry? I do not like using these so called special cleaners for leather.
Anytime you clean leather type products with chemicals it will degrade the leather a lot quicker than using water. Of course the leather cleaning chemical companies will tell you there way is the only way, just trying to sell their product. A damp microfiber cloth does an amazing job cleaning. Only use the specialized chemicals when absolutely needed.
Old 04-06-2016, 12:13 PM

What would be the option then to condition leather then like in a dry climate to prevent cracking and warping. Obviously water won't do the trick.
Old 04-06-2016, 03:22 PM

Talking

Originally Posted by xydehead
LOL, Water as "chemical" amazing, the manufacture must have gone to chemistry lab and blew up Hydrogen on the way to Nissan plant
Old 04-06-2016, 03:38 PM

Conditioning leather is different from cleaning leather. I try to use conditioners that have no cleaners in them. Lemon essential oil is one of them. There are many natural products that will keep leather soft and supple. I clean the leather with warm water and a few drops of Dawn liquid wrung out through a microfiber cloth. Dawn liquid is used to clean birds from oil spills so it is safe enough for leather.
Old 04-06-2016, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Richard66
Anytime you clean leather type products with chemicals it will degrade the leather a lot quicker than using water. Of course the leather cleaning chemical companies will tell you there way is the only way, just trying to sell their product. A damp microfiber cloth does an amazing job cleaning. Only use the specialized chemicals when absolutely needed.
With a little soap from your bathroom or kitchen if needed, have never had issue!
Old 04-07-2016, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by JSROOKS
What would be the option then to condition leather then like in a dry climate to prevent cracking and warping. Obviously water won't do the trick.
From what I have read, you really can't condition sealed leather seats like what we have in the maxima. When they are sealed, they won't absorb anything, so if you apply conditioner, it just sits on top of the surface. It ends up on your clothes, etc and doesn't do anything to protect the leather. I'd suggest doing your own research before you but any conditioner for your car.
Old 04-07-2016, 08:37 AM

Yeah good call. I have the poor Maxima so just the basic seats was just wondering in case I want to upgrade some day.