8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

Daytime Running Lights (Non-)Issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2016, 06:12 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Daytime Running Lights (Non-)Issue

Long time listener, first time caller...

New Maxima bought August and loving it so far with a few issues. Among them are the Daytime Running Lights (DRL) which I'm not sure they're working right. Lately when I see my DRL's reflection off the car the in front of me or my garage door (sliding glass door on old Florida house) I can see the bottom and middle parts of the DRL but the top part, the longer line that streaks out to the sides, does not appear bright like the lower parts. Almost like it's just reflecting the other parts' lights. I don't remember this being the case when I first bought it, but can't remember if it was definitely different either.

If I walk out of the car and look in person it appears about the same, so is this just a normal way that the DRL is reflected or do I have an issue? How do reflections look for you all? Thanks in advance

Also of note is that I have an issue with the car not detecting when the driver side door is open (new issue) and the headlights staying on a full 5 minutes despite changing the settings in the console computer (also new).
Old 03-09-2016, 07:20 AM

Not sure if this will help just bought mine two weeks ago this is at night. <br/>
Old 03-09-2016, 07:21 AM

Also I would just take it to the dealership they will pull around one and you can compare. They should be able to fix all your issues at no charge.
Old 03-09-2016, 10:58 AM

You'd have to look at them in a reflection like his pictures show. I believe that's just how they look reflected, I noticed it too reflecting off the tailgate of a truck that was in front of me. The light is already reflecting around the top of the boomerang to create that look, what you're seeing in the reflection are the actual LEDs that the DRLs use.
Old 03-09-2016, 02:23 PM

In bright daylight, the DRLs look exactly like how you see in the reflection. The top part has no LEDs. It only has light catching from the bottom and middle. You can see the full boomerang from the side but straight on, it's not all lit. At night, you'll be able to see the entire boomerang lit. I don't know if that makes sense but hope I explained it ok haha. In other words, it's normal
Old 03-09-2016, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by BobTX10
In bright daylight, the DRLs look exactly like how you see in the reflection. The top part has no LEDs. It only has light catching from the bottom and middle. You can see the full boomerang from the side but straight on, it's not all lit. At night, you'll be able to see the entire boomerang lit. I don't know if that makes sense but hope I explained it ok haha. In other words, it's normal
Good explanation. I drive toward a large boutique window as I am leaving my subdivision, so get to see the reflection of my lights on large, perfectly flat glass. Also, when the headlights are turned on, the DRLs become regular parking lights.