8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

Front passenger side rattle

Old 03-09-2016, 03:52 PM

Front passenger side rattle

It seems that my car has developed its first rattle by the front passenger side door by the air vent. I have no idea of what it may be and I don't want the dealer to start tearing the car apart. Has someone heard these rattles before in this area? I test drove another maxima and it had this rattle so it may just be the way the car is manufactured. Ideas?
Old 03-09-2016, 04:46 PM

The dealers have all the necessary tools to properly remove/reinstall the trims and everything else. isnt that the whole idea of having warranty? To have the dealer rectify any defects in the vehicle. No point in diagnosing/fixing yourself that doesn't have the proper tools. Just my 2 cents.

But to answer your question, I've test drove plenty and haven't heard of any rattle.
Old 03-09-2016, 10:42 PM

So far I have had no rattles. That is good, because I will not tolerate rattles. I try not to put styrofoam drink containers in the drink holders because they sometimes creak like a zombie emerging from a coffin. Dealers have the proper tools to remove interior upholstery from doors without doing damage. That may be your best bet to get this correctly analyzed and fixed.
Old 03-10-2016, 03:27 PM

Made an appointment with the dealer tomorrow, I hope they fix the issue without causing more damage. I'll keep you posted
Old 03-12-2016, 07:34 AM

So I go to the dealer and the technician who was assigned to fix the rattle took a drive with me down the road. So he is touching around the dash, in the glovebox, and at the sunglass holder, nothing. He notices that the sun visor was not clipped in so he snapped it back and the noise went away. Long story short, if you hear a rattle make sure the sun visor is secured.

Anyways 45 min to the dealer and a 5 second fix. Felt like a dope but hey at least they didn't rip my dash apart.
Old 03-12-2016, 07:02 PM

I have a rattle somewhere in the passenger area but haven't had a chance to pinpoint it yet. I will see if this is the cause. Thanks!
Old 04-29-2016, 01:08 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I also have a rattle somewhere in the passenger area seems to be somewhere near the air vent near passenger window and only over 40-mph and uneven bumpy roads. I need to take child seat out from back just in case that is the cause. Last rattle I had was my radar detector hitting against rear view mirror using a V1 blendmount. Not the glove box it's empty? I'll take it in for service eventually if I don't find the cause.
Old 04-29-2016, 09:13 PM

I thought I had my first rattle yesterday, but my wife kept searching and found it was the nosepads on my sunglasses inside the ceiling sunglass compartment. I was relieved, as I will not tolerate rattles.
Old 05-01-2016, 01:14 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have a very loud rattle inside the dash on the drivers side. It developed around 2,000 miles after I took it in for the 6 month oil change. I hardly even drive this car. I am very dissapointed with the 2016 maxima and all of the dozen issues, 2 recalls and escalating problems with it! Don't buy one!
Old 05-17-2016, 09:00 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I too have a weird rattle that seems to coming from my drivers side pillar by the seat belt connector. It only happens at about 35-40mph. It sounds like something is rattling inside the door or something. It's actually quite annoying as it is right by my left ear! I just bought my car like 3 weeks ago and Haven't had time to take it down to the dealer! I know its going to be a pain in the ***.
Old 05-18-2016, 01:48 AM

Originally Posted by eriemax16
I have a very loud rattle inside the dash on the drivers side. It developed around 2,000 miles after I took it in for the 6 month oil change. I hardly even drive this car. I am very dissapointed with the 2016 maxima and all of the dozen issues, 2 recalls and escalating problems with it! Don't buy one!
I have the same issue. Any luck finding where it is? I notice it most on bumpy roads at slower speeds.
Old 06-14-2016, 01:25 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Max242
I also have a rattle somewhere in the passenger area seems to be somewhere near the air vent near passenger window and only over 40-mph and uneven bumpy roads. I need to take child seat out from back just in case that is the cause. Last rattle I had was my radar detector hitting against rear view mirror using a V1 blendmount. Not the glove box it's empty? I'll take it in for service eventually if I don't find the cause.
I just had my car checked after a day at dealer they suspect rattle is due to passenger door weather striping being lose. This is the weather striping at the front. They have ordered new stripe see what happens.
Old 06-15-2016, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by Max16SR
I have the same issue. Any luck finding where it is? I notice it most on bumpy roads at slower speeds.
Press or apply pressure to the infotainment system bezel, closest to the driver side, when you hear the rattle. If that's it, press real hard and it should stop for good. Worked for me..
Old 06-16-2016, 08:03 AM

My 3 week-old SR has rattle from the driver side door. It is from the door interior panel. When I rest my arm on the top of the door panel (bottom of the window), the rattle stops, but the rattle comes back when I lift my arm. It is quite annoying as the rattle is right at my shoulder level near my ear. In addition, there is a small rattle from the dash sort of right behind/under the steering column. Both the rattle from the door and dash are really faint, it bothers me because I'm rather sensitive about this things, but it probably won't bother my wife if she is driving.

Not sure if there is anything that can be done. So I might just have to get used to it.
Old 06-16-2016, 01:46 PM

I noticed it as well right by my left ear. It is a very annoying sound. If I roll my window down a little bit and back up it stops for a while, but eventually comes back.
Old 07-22-2017, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by Javier Herrera
I too have a weird rattle that seems to coming from my drivers side pillar by the seat belt connector. It only happens at about 35-40mph. It sounds like something is rattling inside the door or something. It's actually quite annoying as it is right by my left ear! I just bought my car like 3 weeks ago and Haven't had time to take it down to the dealer! I know its going to be a pain in the ***.
I have this same rattle on our new 2017. Did you ever find out the problem and get it resolved?
Old 07-23-2017, 06:53 AM

The very first place to check is the eyeglass holder above you. When there is a pair in there it can make a noise that sounds like it is coming from somewhere else.
Old 03-08-2021, 09:46 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Passenger door rattle!

Originally Posted by Javier Herrera
I had the exact same noise coming from my passenger door and it was driving me crazy. It only happened at speeds of about 35+. It sounded to me like I had closed the passenger door with a backpack strap between the door and it was slapping against the door as I drove! (Best analogy I could come up with)! What I found is if you open the passenger door the very bottom of the door there is a strip of plastic trim that is really loose. I just put some silicone behind it last week and I haven’t heard the noise since. Hope that helps
Old 03-08-2021, 01:53 PM

Nice! Good info. Thanks!