8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

Planning for new Maxima, But still confused

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2016 | 12:11 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Unhappy Planning for new Maxima, But still confused

hello mates,

I am planning to get new maxima but . I have test drive the beast and its fun and feels sporty. But i am confused, should i buy or not ? Currently i am using commodore vz RWD Alloytec V6, Definitely maxima has more hp than commodore V6 but i am more concerned about FWD. Anyway all i have to know is how's the engine ?does it need to much maintenance ? how about the CVT ? over all performance about the car.

Nissan Sale representative suggested to go for SV. Should i go for SR or SV ? is it worth to add 5k to get SR ?
Old 05-04-2016 | 03:53 AM

You have lots of questions, and some of the answers will be a little subjective, depending on the poster.

The 2016 Maxima engine is very similar to the traditional 3.5 litre engine of the last several generations, EXCEPT that 60% of the parts have been redesigned. So far, this new engine seems to be very reliable.

There are folks who do not like the CVT, and there are folks who (like me) have gradually grown to love the CVT. It improves fuel economy by not having to change gears, and usually being in the optimum RPM range, but some folks prefer the traditional shifting of gears we have in old-style automatic transmissions.

Lots of drivers prefer Rear Wheel Drive. I owned only Rear Wheel drive vehicles from 1949 until October 1984 (at which time I bought two Front Wheel Drive 1985 Maximas). Most of the weight of cars like the Maxima is over the front wheels, so Front Wheel Drive works better than RWD on slick, icy, muddy, sandy, gravel roads. If your primary purpose is being able to get to your destination, FWD is best. But If you like to 'scratch off', run your car on the track, participate in the sport of 'drifting' or drive a little on the 'wild side', then you may have more fun in a RWD car.

The choice between SV and SR will be one you must make on your own. Go to nissanusa.com and carefully read down exactly what is on each car, and decide whether the features of the SR are worth the extra money to you. I will say the SR has been a popular choice on this board, even though it is the only 2016 Maxima model without a sunroof.

Overall, I have been very happy with my 2016 Platinum after eight months of driving. No problems so far.

I hope other posters will hop in here and give their opinion.
Old 05-04-2016 | 04:54 AM

I quickly got used tot he CVT. When you stand on the pedal, it will emulate a standard transmission so the sporty feel will be there when you want it. there does tend to be some torque steer if you are driving aggressively, but I didn't buy a 4 door car to go racing either.

I have the SV and I love it, but if I had it to do over again, I would get the SR. I was too impatient to wait for an SR in the color combo I wanted.
Old 05-04-2016 | 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by tommie70
I quickly got used tot he CVT. When you stand on the pedal, it will emulate a standard transmission so the sporty feel will be there when you want it. there does tend to be some torque steer if you are driving aggressively, but I didn't buy a 4 door car to go racing either.

I have the SV and I love it, but if I had it to do over again, I would get the SR. I was too impatient to wait for an SR in the color combo I wanted.
I felt the same way about my 7th gen- wanted premium with tech vs the sport non tech but took what they had- but at the end of the day the money saved made the car easier to pay off and start saving for an 8th gen!
Old 05-05-2016 | 04:20 AM

One item I was missing was the premium sound. I wound up installing new speakers, an amp, a sub and a signal processor in my SV.
Old 05-05-2016 | 05:48 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Smile

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
You have lots of questions, and some of the answers will be a little subjective, depending on the poster.

The 2016 Maxima engine is very similar to the traditional 3.5 litre engine of the last several generations, EXCEPT that 60% of the parts have been redesigned. So far, this new engine seems to be very reliable.

There are folks who do not like the CVT, and there are folks who (like me) have gradually grown to love the CVT. It improves fuel economy by not having to change gears, and usually being in the optimum RPM range, but some folks prefer the traditional shifting of gears we have in old-style automatic transmissions.

Lots of drivers prefer Rear Wheel Drive. I owned only Rear Wheel drive vehicles from 1949 until October 1984 (at which time I bought two Front Wheel Drive 1985 Maximas). Most of the weight of cars like the Maxima is over the front wheels, so Front Wheel Drive works better than RWD on slick, icy, muddy, sandy, gravel roads. If your primary purpose is being able to get to your destination, FWD is best. But If you like to 'scratch off', run your car on the track, participate in the sport of 'drifting' or drive a little on the 'wild side', then you may have more fun in a RWD car.

The choice between SV and SR will be one you must make on your own. Go to nissanusa.com and carefully read down exactly what is on each car, and decide whether the features of the SR are worth the extra money to you. I will say the SR has been a popular choice on this board, even though it is the only 2016 Maxima model without a sunroof.

Overall, I have been very happy with my 2016 Platinum after eight months of driving. No problems so far.

I hope other posters will hop in here and give their opinion.

Thank you Sir for your advice. But trim level are different in middle east. I wish to get SL as per nissanusa.com. Unfortunately here only 3 trims are available S - SV- SR.
Old 05-05-2016 | 09:11 AM

I would definitely go with the SR over the SV, think in the long run you will be happy you did!
Old 05-05-2016 | 10:49 AM

Keep in mind guys, their trims are somewhat different than ours here in the US.
Old 05-05-2016 | 11:47 AM

I wouldn't know what the Maxima over New Zealand or Aussie would be the same as our American Maxima since the 5th Gen has been the last Maxima built on same platform for other parts of the country, since the 6th gen and on are only for the U.S and Canadian market. I could be wrong since I never seen U.S Maxima being imported out of the U.S.
Old 05-05-2016 | 02:26 PM

S

107,300* SAR

• 300 hp, 3.5-liter DOHC 24-valve V6 engine
  • Xtronic CVT® transmission
  • 18" Machine-finished aluminum-alloy wheels
  • P245/45R18 V-rated all-season tyres
  • Drive Mode Selector with Sport or Normal modes
  • LED Daytime Running Lights
  • Halogen headlights and fog lights
  • Taillights with integrated LED signature
  • Advanced Drive-Assist® Display with 7.0" display
  • Navigation and 8.0" multi-touch control colour monitor
  • Display Commander
  • RearView Monitor
  • Bluetooth® Hands-free Phone System
  • Dual Zone Automatic Temperature Control (ATC)
  • Illuminated steering wheel-mounted audio and cruise controls
  • Auto-dimming inside rearview mirror
  • Nissan Intelligent Key® with Push Button Ignition
  • Remote Engine Start System with Intelligent Climate Control
  • Power windows and door locks
  • Front map lights and rear LED reading lights
  • Front seatback pockets
  • Dual front cup and bottle holders
  • 8-way power driver's seat
  • 4-way power front-passenger's seat
  • 60/40 Split fold-down rear seatbacks with valet locking function
  • Cloth seat trim with leather-wrapped steering wheel and shift ****
  • "Silver hairline" faceted interior trim
  • AM/FM/CD audio system
  • MP3/WMA CD playback capability
  • Two USB connection ports
  • Tyre Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) with Easy-Fill Tyre Alert
  • Vehicle Dynamic Control (VDC) with Traction Control System (TCS)
  • Nissan Advanced Air Bag System
SV

121,600* SAR

INCLUDES S EQUIPMENT PLUS:
  • Leather-appointed seats
  • Outside mirrors with LED turn signal indicators
  • Front and Rear Parking System
  • Driver's seat power lumbar support
  • Driver's seat manual thigh support extension
  • Dual Panoramic Sunroof
  • Bose Premium Audio System with AM/FM/CD with 11 speakers (Optional)
SR

139,400* SAR

INCLUDES SV EQUIPMENT PLUS:
  • 19" Diamond-cut machine-finished aluminum-alloy wheels
  • P245/40R19 W-rated all-season tyres
  • Paddle shifters
  • Integrated Dynamics-control Module (IDM) - Active Ride Control (ARC), Active Trace Control (ATC), Active Engine Brake (AEB)
  • Sport-tuned suspension
  • Front performance chassis damper
  • LED low-beam headlights
  • Climate-controlled front seats (heated and cooled)
  • Premium leather-wrapped steering wheel
  • Aluminum sport pedals
  • Dual Panoramic Sunroof
  • Power heated outside mirrors with LED turn signal indicators
  • Outside mirrors with reverse tilt-down feature
  • Auto-dimming driver-side outside mirror
  • Driver Attention Alert
  • Around View® Monitor with Moving Object Detection (MOD)
  • Power tilt/telescoping steering column
  • Rain-sensing variable intermittent windshield wipers
  • Rear-window power sunshade
  • Memory System - driver's seat, steering wheel and outside mirrors
  • Premium leather-appointed seats with diamond-quilted leather seats
  • Linear wood-tone faceted interior trim
Old 05-05-2016 | 02:33 PM

Seems that you will not be getting the heated or cooled seats. I would definitely go with the SR.