8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

Navigation Version -'13-14 Version?

Old 06-17-2016, 07:11 PM

Took my car in yesterday for an issue with the brakes and navigation update. They ended up ordering me a new SD Card with the "current" map update. They didn't list a part number, but I should get it sometime next week. Will update the thread with the part number to ensure that we're all getting the correct update for our 2016 vehicles. Will be interesting to see what card the 2017's have.
Old 06-18-2016, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by skriefal
i decided to check mine too. It's 25920-4ra0a, and the 2013-2014 maps version. Can anyone with the 2014-2015 maps version check the part number on their sd card?

14-15, 25920-4ra0b, qy81-50nb
Old 06-20-2016, 10:41 AM

Went in today to get the passenger seat airbag sensor recall done, and I questioned the 13-14 year map version I have, and was told that it correctly corresponds to my September 15 build date. ?!???
So, in the http://nissan.navigation.com/ link, there is a phone/email to Nissan.
I sent them an email questioning how I have a 2 year old map version.
See what they say, if anything.
Holding my breath....
Old 06-20-2016, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by 16sjmax
Went in today to get the passenger seat airbag sensor recall done, and I questioned the 13-14 year map version I have, and was told that it correctly corresponds to my September 15 build date. ?!???
So, in the http://nissan.navigation.com/ link, there is a phone/email to Nissan.
I sent them an email questioning how I have a 2 year old map version.
See what they say, if anything.
Holding my breath....
Please keep us posted on what happens. Obviously we are all wanting something done about this.
Old 06-20-2016, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by 16sjmax
The dealer here stated something similar. "If it came with the car then it's the latest and is what Nissan intended to provide", or words to that effect. I think most of 'em are simply doing what most businesses do when they don't have a good answer -- talking out their a**es instead of admitting that they don't know.
Old 06-20-2016, 05:03 PM

My dealer agreed to replace my card and is on order. I should get it sometime this week. I wasn't about to accept any other answer than "we'll replace it."
Old 06-21-2016, 07:13 AM

So I went to my dealer on my lunch break yesterday and he provided me the new sd card ending in part 25920-4RA0B and guess what i needed a special code. He gave me back my old sd card and told me the techs needed to look at it. So pressed for time i swung around back spoke to the parts guy to see if i can just have the code given to me and ill type it in so i dont have to make an appointment. No luck just some yada yada they have to plug it in he doesnt have a code i need an appointment now. So i left because i was on lunch. One question for my fellow owners who have upgrade to version 14-15.Did you need a special code ?
Old 06-21-2016, 07:25 AM

The card you detail isn't even the latest, FYI. That's the 14-15 card and per my dealer that's not even the newest version.

I actually think this is good news - techs needing to "plug it in". I'm hoping if this is required and with the very latest card/map version there's a small sliver of hope that it might also include Carplay???
Old 06-21-2016, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by wsrobert
The card you detail isn't even the latest, FYI. That's the 14-15 card and per my dealer that's not even the newest version.

I actually think this is good news - techs needing to "plug it in". I'm hoping if this is required and with the very latest card/map version there's a small sliver of hope that it might also include Carplay???
Let us know how you do at the dealer.
Old 06-21-2016, 02:03 PM

Look at the bulls**t answer I just got back from the Nissan navigation website.
Now who do I call?

First, my email to Nissan:

I have a question on my 2016 Maxima which was purchased Nov 2015.
My navigation map version says 13-14 year.
Although when I check http://nissan.navigation.com/home/en_US/NissanNA/USD , It tells me that my car is up to date.
I have to question how 2 year old maps are up to date?
With a build date of Sept 2015 my car should at least have the 15-16 year maps.
I can supply my vin number or any other info that you made need.

Now the response:

Hello Henry,

Thank you for contacting Nissan Navigation Center. When the navigation system is installed the map will be the original data that was available when the system was being manufactured.

To check the availability of new map updates for your vehicle, please visit www.nissannavigation.com periodically.

If you need additional assistance, please send us your feedback by replying to this email.

Kind regards,

Nissan Navigation Center
P.O. Box 1588
Orem, UT 84059
Old 06-21-2016, 02:12 PM

I just got back from the dealer. They ordered me a "new" map update. What I ended up getting was the SAME MAP UPDATE!!!!! They order it according to VIN and since my car was manufactured August 2015 it gets the 13-14 update. So much for that. I was told to call Nissan but I'm sure they won't do anything.

Last edited by raven69david; 06-21-2016 at 02:38 PM.
Old 06-21-2016, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by raven69david
I just got back from the dealer. They ordered me a "new" map update. What I ended up getting was the SAME MAP UPDATE!!!!! They order it according to VIN and since my car was manufactured August 2015 it gets the 13-14 update. So much for that. I was told to call Nissan but I'm sure they won't do anything.
Now that's ridiculous!
Old 06-21-2016, 02:52 PM

Nissan dealer orders all parts by VIN code, that ensures compatibility and is requirement in their system, but in case of map update, it has no relevance what your car shipped with. They should have gotten latest update applicable to your style head unit.
The only thing I can surmise from that is that you are dealing with a very incompetent dealership/service rep/part guy. If they ordered specific part number that is exactly what they would get, as these sd cards have different part numbers. If you want to take alternative route, give them the part number from 14-15 map. It was mentioned in this or another thread.

Personally, I can tell you that map update will not be earth shattering and definitely not worth the aggravation you are going through. The only way it would be worth it in my mind, is if you got Apple CarPlay upgrade as part of it. Then you can use up to date maps, each time and every time without ever worrying about cost of Map upgrade, irk $150.

btw, check ebay for 25920-4ra0b and you can get one for $40-50.

Last edited by maxud; 06-21-2016 at 02:57 PM.
Old 06-22-2016, 02:48 AM

According to my Dealer 13-14 is the most up to date Navi software for the 2016 Maxima.

Sure.............................................. ....
Old 06-22-2016, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by maxud
Nissan dealer orders all parts by VIN code, that ensures compatibility and is requirement in their system, but in case of map update, it has no relevance what your car shipped with. They should have gotten latest update applicable to your style head unit.
The only thing I can surmise from that is that you are dealing with a very incompetent dealership/service rep/part guy. If they ordered specific part number that is exactly what they would get, as these sd cards have different part numbers. If you want to take alternative route, give them the part number from 14-15 map. It was mentioned in this or another thread.

Personally, I can tell you that map update will not be earth shattering and definitely not worth the aggravation you are going through. The only way it would be worth it in my mind, is if you got Apple CarPlay upgrade as part of it. Then you can use up to date maps, each time and every time without ever worrying about cost of Map upgrade, irk $150.

btw, check ebay for 25920-4ra0b and you can get one for $40-50.
Your right its really not even worth it especially if your xm free trial has expired, like in my case you cant even receive traffic updates without it. I'm just tired of having to go back there for another appointment for something that might not even make much of a difference.
*update* as this pertains to this thread as well....pulled from the car play thread
Just received a nice phone call from nissan customer service over my email i sent for car play. After a little complaining about not having up to date maps or an option for car play. They offered me a service and parts credit, so i will wait and see if its a true credit as there is a 4 to 6 weeks lead time to receive it. So it pays to complain lol.

Last edited by central25thst; 06-22-2016 at 07:47 AM.
Old 06-22-2016, 09:39 AM

Bought my car back in February.
Old 06-22-2016, 02:56 PM

As maxud suggested, the maps are not updated that often or that completely. For instance, my '09 Maxima navi maps did not have four subdivisions near my home that were built between 2004 thru 2006.

On several long trips I took within the past month, I found quite a few service stations and even a few restaurants had changed brands since the '13-'14 navi system was made. More troublesome, several motels had changed brands. I asked at the front desk at one of these, and was told the change came in 2011. I have learned to use the navi as an aide, but to never count on it to be perfect. I still remember when the system in my '04 Maxima directed me down a road in rural SC that soon turned to dirt, then eventually ended at the gate of a farmer's pigsty. I had to back up several hundred feet before finding a place to turn around. At least the pigs seemed friendly, and happy to see us.

But, on balance, I still love having the navi, and it has proven very helpful hundreds of times over the years. I would not want to give it up, even if it cost an extra $2K or so, as it did on my '04 and '09.
Old 06-22-2016, 03:13 PM

My dealer stated that the map updates change from October 2015 and forward as that's when they release the map updates. After forcing the issue, they have agreed to replace my 13-14 maps with a 14-15 maps which is the latest until this October. The correct part number has been ordered and they stated that the map update was not available locally and had to be ordered from Nissan. They should call me back next week and I'll update once I get the new update.
Old 06-23-2016, 07:41 AM

I talked to my service rep and he said honestly these SD Cards are a waste of money.By the time we get them the maps are six months old. He said if the new head unit comes out to support Car Play I was better off getting that and using updated maps from my phone all the time. Which makes sense, but for those who can score free SD cards by all means do it.
Old 06-29-2016, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by central25thst
So I went to my dealer on my lunch break yesterday and he provided me the new sd card ending in part 25920-4RA0B and guess what i needed a special code. He gave me back my old sd card and told me the techs needed to look at it. So pressed for time i swung around back spoke to the parts guy to see if i can just have the code given to me and ill type it in so i dont have to make an appointment. No luck just some yada yada they have to plug it in he doesnt have a code i need an appointment now. So i left because i was on lunch. One question for my fellow owners who have upgrade to version 14-15.Did you need a special code ?
Hey there - so just ran into the same issue. Firmware updated without issue but now the systems asking for me to "input active key". Which of course I don't have and already left the dealership/theyre closed. Any chance you remember or saw what was entered? Curious if it's unique. Or have you made it back to your dealer yet?
Old 06-29-2016, 09:27 PM

Hey there - so just ran into the same issue. Firmware updated without issue but now the systems asking for me to "input active key". Which of course I don't have and already left the dealership/theyre closed. Any chance you remember or saw what was entered? Curious if it's unique. Or have you made it back to your dealer yet?
I saw my dealer install my SD card (the wrong/old model). All he did was remove the old one, put in the new one and then a firware update began. There were about 3 to 5 steps where each would take 5 to 10 minutes to complete. Once it was over it said to turn off the car and turn it back on. After that, everything was normal. No special codes were used or entered during the installation process as I was there from the time the card was inserted until it was completely done.
Old 06-30-2016, 10:04 AM

Interesting. Wonder why in the hell mines asking for me to "input active key"? You're sure nothing was required?

Also, curiously enough, my new card is 25920-4RA0B but then on the line below says "USA/CAN 1". The images I've seen online of the card dont show the 1 at the end of the second line.

Currently at the dealer and have been for close to 2 hours trying to get this resolved.
Old 06-30-2016, 10:36 AM

Interesting. Wonder why in the hell mines asking for me to "input active key"? You're sure nothing was required?

Also, curiously enough, my new card is 25920-4RA0B but then on the line below says "USA/CAN 1". The images I've seen online of the card dont show the 1 at the end of the second line.

Currently at the dealer and have been for close to 2 hours trying to get this resolved.
The "active key" you're referring to is probably the transponder keys that come with the car. We have two. Mine is #2 and my wife's is #1. When I get in the car it shows "key #2 detected" on my HUD. I don't think the warning is about the map update but more about the transponders that are associated with your car.

Last edited by raven69david; 06-30-2016 at 10:50 AM.
Old 06-30-2016, 11:09 AM

I wish you were right.

After two hours, it seems this card with the "1" at the end of it essentially reset my system and Clarion, who apparently supplies the maps, needs to send a blank card that can be used to reset my entire unit. Which of course wont be in until next week. So for now, I have nothing but a blank screen asking me for a 16 digit "active key".
Old 06-30-2016, 11:22 AM

I wish you were right.

After two hours, it seems this card with the "1" at the end of it essentially reset my system and Clarion, who apparently supplies the maps, needs to send a blank card that can be used to reset my entire unit. Which of course wont be in until next week. So for now, I have nothing but a blank screen asking me for a 16 digit "active key".
Oh man!!! What a pain in the ***!
Old 06-30-2016, 04:36 PM

To the people hoping for android auto/apple car play....your on crack. Ain't happening on the 16.
Old 07-01-2016, 05:21 PM

I wish you were right.

I just got my new card and noticed it had a 1 like yours. I'm afraid to install it.

EDIT:
Called dealer and they stated no key was needed. Got home a few hours later, inserted the SD Card and low and behold it DOES require an "active key" so now i'm out of XM and no navigation. Hooray!

Last edited by raven69david; 07-01-2016 at 06:28 PM.
Old 07-02-2016, 07:30 AM

Oh man, what a cluster f...
It seems that dealers are not yet familiar with procedure to upgrade the Maps on 2016+ model. I think that there is a copy protection key thats generated that is specific to the car's head unit or your specific map purchase. This could prevent people from simply copying contents of the card and updating the maps free of charge. With older systems,
they employed CD/DVD copy protection scheme's that would prevent people from copying the disks. I think the key is given to you during map purchase.
If dealer simply orders a new sd card, it maybe meant more of a part replacement, vs actual map upgrade.
Above is my pure speculation, as I don't own 2016. However with my 2009, upgrading maps required just that. You purchase upgrade key from the nissan map site and then dealer manually had to load the maps with their computer.

I really hope there is somebody at your dealer that can figure this simple thing out.
Old 07-05-2016, 05:05 AM

Keep me updated with how they're resolving. I'll do the same. Supposed to hear an update today.
Old 07-08-2016, 11:46 AM

UPDATE: So I took the car in today to have them work on the map update. The new guy working on the car said that I had the "wrong" map update for my car. I told him, if you're referring to the part number you're getting from my VIN then you're correct as it came with an old map update. I told him the new map update that was ordered (the one that ends in B in my picture above) was the update to the map. Nobody could figure it out so they ended up ordering me another "A" (old ) map update so that it will hopefully get me access back to my XM and Nav as they currently both DO NOT work, plus the radio station memory does not work so every time I turn the car off and back on I have to search for my local stations - no XM.

The funny part is that when I put in my old map update, I get an error saying that there was an error with the system. So apparently the "B" map update did a firware update that is now only compatible with the new card and I have a feeling that when they put the "A" card back in they're going to get the same warning. Stay tuned as the saga continues. And for those trying to update the map, I'd say stay far away from this before you FUBAR your system like Bob and I have done. If you want to update the map, then I'd wait until October when the new ones come out. Just be prepared to pay for it unless by some miracle we can figure out a way to get Apple Carplay which I don't have a lot of faith in coming to our '16's.
Old 07-08-2016, 02:30 PM

I currently have three different cards. An A, B and a B with the 1 detailed. None work.

As I've mentioned before, Clarion builds the software in these units. I've confirmed as much by calling Clarion. My dealer has spoken to Clarion and they've said they basically have to compile a custom SD card to reset my system. So that's what I'm now waiting on.

I would not bother waiting for this "stock" card. You need to force the issue with your dealer.
Old 07-08-2016, 05:37 PM

Damn, not looking forward to the up and coming "C" version. Should be interesting
Old 07-08-2016, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by vmfa531
Damn, not looking forward to the up and coming "C" version. Should be interesting
As long as you purchase it from the Nissan site, you're good to go. If purchased, you'll get the activation key. Why the dealer is having such a hard time with this is beyond me.
Old 07-18-2016, 12:16 PM

Wanted to update the thread...

My dealer received the custom card from Clarion on Friday and I got in on Saturday to have them install it. The card was supposed to "reset" my system and then install the latest maps. This custom card appeared to work again - and then threw an error. Again.

So now over two weeks into having a blank screen I'm told that as of this morning they've just ordered an entirely new navigation/radio for the car. Which should be in on Wednesday/Thursday and that I hope to have installed no later than the weekend.

Will update the thread once done. What a nightmare...
Old 07-18-2016, 02:02 PM

dont try it guys.

Wow this sucks .
Old 07-18-2016, 04:21 PM

Not good. Part of the problem is that I feel sure Nissan did not expect us to be updating our nav version this soon after purchase, so hadn't worked on this process very much. And we wouldn't be updating except for the fact they sold us a 2016 car with a 2013 nav base. I can sort of see how all this happened, but feel Nissan should give us the option of updating our 'out-of-date from day one' nav info either for free or for a small charge, say around $50. I know my nav let me down with old data the very first long trip I made. Out-of-date branding of hotels and gas stations, as well as out-of-date road status made things annoying.
Old 07-18-2016, 07:34 PM

I'm still waiting for my map update which is in, but can't be done until Friday so another week without Nav, XM and having to constantly reset the radio stations (including resetting the time on the system).

They said that if this update didn't work, then they'd have to order me a whole new radio or whatever it takes to fix it. Hopefully they'll order the 2017 part number and I'll get Car Play out of it. Just wishful thinking/will never happen.
Old 07-19-2016, 06:53 AM

Hopefully you score the new head unit if you are lucky.
Old 07-22-2016, 10:53 AM

Final Update: The new card they ordered finally has my nav/XM system working again. They replaced it with the stock out-of-date card so I'm back to square one for the exception of being without Nav/Xm for the past month. So if you want a new update, wait until October until the new one comes out and buy it so that you can also get the Activation Key. Do NOT try doing it through Nissan the way Bob and I did cuz they may end up messing up the system and render it inoperable for several days/weeks.

The End...
Old 07-22-2016, 10:57 AM

Final Update: The new card they ordered finally has my nav/XM system working again. They replaced it with the stock out-of-date card so I'm back to square one for the exception of being without Nav/Xm for the past month. So if you want a new update, wait until October until the new one comes out and buy it so that you can also get the Activation Key. Do NOT try doing it through Nissan the way Bob and I did cuz they may end up messing up the system and render it inoperable for several days/weeks.

The End...
Do you have a pic of the actual card they replaced it with? My dealers is still telling me they need to replace my radio. At this point, I'd prefer a card that just works.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Navigation Version -'13-14 Version?