8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

Question regarding Intelligent Cruise Control (ICC) SL+

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2016, 12:17 AM

Question Question regarding Intelligent Cruise Control (ICC) SL+

When using the Intelligent Cruise Control (ICC), to keep its distance from the vehicle ahead, the max applies brakes when necessary, my question is, when it does this, do the brake lights on the back go on to warn the driver behind that my car is slowing down?

I've noticed a lot people change lanes behind me when using ICC, just wondering if it's because they don't like the fact that the ICC is leaving X amount of space between me and the next car, or if its because they had to slow down behind me, and weren't given any warning of the car applying brakes.
Old 07-09-2016, 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by biftikhar1989
When using the Intelligent Cruise Control (ICC), to keep its distance from the vehicle ahead, the max applies brakes when necessary, my question is, when it does this, do the brake lights on the back go on to warn the driver behind that my car is slowing down?

I've noticed a lot people change lanes behind me when using ICC, just wondering if it's because they don't like the fact that the ICC is leaving X amount of space between me and the next car, or if its because they had to slow down behind me, and weren't given any warning of the car applying brakes.
Yes the ICC activates the brake lights when braking. It specifies this in the manual and I've seen it in the mirror reflection at night.

I have noticed what you said about people changing lanes in this car and my last one both with ICC, I do believe that it is because people don't like the amount of space left in front you. People feel the need to drive so close to the car in front and they feel like they are slowed down if there is another gap they can get into... Drives me nuts.
Old 07-09-2016, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by sdomingues
Yes the ICC activates the brake lights when braking. It specifies this in the manual and I've seen it in the mirror reflection at night.

I have noticed what you said about people changing lanes in this car and my last one both with ICC, I do believe that it is because people don't like the amount of space left in front you. People feel the need to drive so close to the car in front and they feel like they are slowed down if there is another gap they can get into... Drives me nuts.

Exactly. When I am driving in Atlanta, even though I shorten the distance between the car in front of me to half the recommended safe distance, the space is ALWAYS IMMEDIATELY filled by another car. We have a country where far too many drivers are impatient, aggressive, rude, and drive with little regard for either their own or others' safety. That, plus the drivers who are on drugs or on their phone or texting, etc, are the primary reason we have so many accidents, injuries and deaths.

As info, I seem to recall reading that we do have an option to shorten or lengthen the distance our ICC system uses in keeping a safe distance behind the car in front of us. Since that distance varies with speed, the options are probably 'more than normal', 'normal' and 'less than normal'

Last edited by lightonthehill; 07-09-2016 at 07:34 PM.
Old 07-09-2016, 08:42 PM

I really believe there is an invisible trailer hitch on the back of my car that only the idiot behind me can see and he is convinced he is riding s boat trailer.
Old 07-10-2016, 08:59 AM

This happened to me just yesterday on the highway (people getting into the gap left by the ICC) and 9 out of 10 times its some a-hole in a lifted truck that barley fits it said gap smh
Old 07-13-2016, 10:45 PM

I love the ICC on the max and now hate not having it on our Odyssey.
What space do you guys leave? I set it to three cars.
I just wish it accelerated faster when it's below set speed
Old 07-13-2016, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by slpgh
I love the ICC on the max and now hate not having it on our Odyssey.
What space do you guys leave? I set it to three cars.
I just wish it accelerated faster when it's below set speed
I always leave it at 1, which is approximately the distance of about 3 cars.
Old 07-14-2016, 05:51 AM

i have always thought, without researching further, that those each bar approximates one second behind the vehicle..

not sure about going 80+ mph
Old 07-14-2016, 06:30 AM

Does the ICC fully come to a stop if needed or does it beep when it's about to deactivate causing you to have to put your foot on the brake?

I had this on my Infiniti M35X.
Old 07-14-2016, 06:43 AM

So I used the ICC for a trip recently from NJ to GA. It was absolutely fantastic. It will slow the car down from 80 to whatever gradually and you can change the following distance that it uses for your own comfort level. I know it will bring the car to a stop provided its not an immediate stoppage. It may still stop the car, but I have not had that tested luckily. I can also confirm that it does show brake lights if it is slowing the car down more than just using the engine.
Old 07-18-2016, 05:19 AM

In heavy traffic the ICC is borderline irritating. The reason people are passing is that the ICC is constantly jacking with the brakes. It's not the cruise controls fault, but we have to deal with the "boy racers" jockeying in everyday traffic near the cities for the front position . In less traffic, I do get the benefits ICC provides but what is missing is the ability to shut off ICC and just invoke the cruise without the ICC function. I don't use the ICC cruise near as much as the conventional cruise in my prior 2010 Maxima

Last edited by robtroxel; 07-18-2016 at 03:28 PM.
Old 07-18-2016, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by MaxMus
Does the ICC fully come to a stop if needed or does it beep when it's about to deactivate causing you to have to put your foot on the brake?

I had this on my Infiniti M35X.
i use the ICC pretty much all the time. It brings the car to a complete stop even if the car in front applies emergency brakes (I literally stopped using my feet for driving now ).
I have tested this out and the car definitely goes down all the way to 0 and then deactivates the system. Thats when I put my foot on the brake pedal until the traffic starts moving again and all I have to do is press the resume button and the ICC turns back on.
I usually keep it on 1 and still these drivers would still want to get in that space between my car and the car in front
Old 07-18-2016, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by maxima_sr
i use the ICC pretty much all the time. It brings the car to a complete stop even if the car in front applies emergency brakes (I literally stopped using my feet for driving now ).
I have tested this out and the car definitely goes down all the way to 0 and then deactivates the system. Thats when I put my foot on the brake pedal until the traffic starts moving again and all I have to do is press the resume button and the ICC turns back on.
I usually keep it on 1 and still these drivers would still want to get in that space between my car and the car in front
Thanks for the feedback on how you use the ICC. Glad it works as it should. The only argument I have is that the ICC is always working the brakes in heavier traffic and for good reason, given the "cut in front" cowboys I see on our roads. With a conventional cruise controls it was easier to "coast" by tapping the brake just once and letting the car slow down. I suspect all this herky jerky application of brakes administered by the ICC will hasten the brake replacements.
Old 01-26-2017, 04:49 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Omg I hate the icc

I hate the ICC so much. I've been searching for a way to disable it to no avail. I'm sorry that maybe I'm one of those aggressive drivers that doesn't keep a football field between myself and the car in front of me at highway speed, but the setup for the ICC is completely ineffective for the way people actually drive in densely populated areas. The open road is the only place it's useful. I just drove over 400 miles and didn't use cruise at all because it was so annoying. I'm ready to pull the fuse if it would disable it and let me use normal cruise control. My wife, who is a very sedate driver hates it too, won't use it. Its way too intrusive. Help me disable it Nissan. I've had this car for 3 weeks and dreading the next several years of having a car with effectively no cruise control that "I" can use. People just don't drive like old ladies in urban settings. I'd totally cut in front of anyone braking a quarter mile back from the car in front of them too.

So upset about this "feature"....help