8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

Weird braking

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2016, 08:41 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Weird braking

Hey guys,

New to the forum, just purchased a 2016 nissan maxima sl. Ive had the car for a couple weeks now and noticed that when coasting or easing into a stop the car brakes weird at around the 10-15 mph range. The rpms kind of go to alitttle past 1 and then go sligthly below which causes a bit of a jolt i guess.(not really sure how to describe it). The dealership told me this is engine braking and is normal but it doesnt seem right to me. This is my first cvt car so any insight is appreciated. Thanks
Old 07-23-2016, 02:05 PM

Your description is the classic description of Automatic Engine Braking, which was on all 6th and 7th gen Maximas, and which I loved to have when either driving aggressively or driving on twisty roads or on downgrades, especially steep ones, while driving in the mountains.

BUT

We have been told here on the org that the only 2016 Maxima model with Automatic Engine Braking was the SR, and you are driving an SL. So we have a conundrum here.
Old 07-23-2016, 09:20 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

The guy I dealt with at the dealership didnt mention engine braking was just on the SR he made it seems like mine had it and so do most nissans in 2016. I brought the car in this week because that braking just seemed weird at low speeds but since the car is so new they just said its normal engine braking and to continue to drive the car so it learns you driving behavior. Now if the SR models are the only one with that feature I am confused if something is actually wrong.
Old 07-23-2016, 09:30 PM

Active Engine Brake?
Old 07-24-2016, 10:11 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Is the active engine braking on all maxima models or just the SR. That is what I am tryong to figure out. If that is what I feel and it is normal that is fine Ill eventually get used to it but if the SL model doesnt have it then I am confused and wonder why the dealership would tell me otherwise and I need to bring it back and see what is wrong if that feature is not on my car.
Old 07-24-2016, 11:56 AM

I think there are 2 different engine braking systems Nissan uses. The one I'm most familiar with is the one I have had experience with from a 2005...2007...2012 Maximas and my 2015 Murano. With no braking application...the transmission will select a lower ratio to keep the speed in check when the computer senses acceleration with no throttle application. I love this feature as I rarely have to use the brakes on long and sometimes steep descents. As I mentioned...this is still the situation with my 2015 Murano. I have not found any engine braking when applying the brakes at speed however...only when at low speeds like the following: I noticed on my 2012 Maxima and this 2015 Murano that when slowing...the torque converter remains locked to also assist in slowing the vehicle when coming to a stop. However...then the torque converter would "release" or become unlocked around 10-15mph...giving the sensation of a surge in speed. If not expecting this...it can be a bit unnerving at first.

Now it seems the latest version of the Nissan Maxima SR as a different...more active engine braking system that does more when in a spirited driving mode. I can't comment any more than this as I do not have any first hand experience with the SR's version...yet.

Maybe there are 2 different engine braking systems? Also...why would Nissan remove the original engine grade braking feature from Maximas (other than the SR trim)...but keep it on other new Nissans like my 2015 Murano? Thoughts?
Old 07-25-2016, 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by nyy2219
Is the active engine braking on all maxima models or just the SR. That is what I am tryong to figure out. If that is what I feel and it is normal that is fine Ill eventually get used to it but if the SL model doesnt have it then I am confused and wonder why the dealership would tell me otherwise and I need to bring it back and see what is wrong if that feature is not on my car.
Active engine braking is only on the SR for the 16 model year.....Light and others with Platinums etc miss that feature that experienced it on older models that had it on all models, look at page 20 of the 2016 Max brochure it states SR only. https://www.nissanusa.com/content/da...-maxima-en.pdf
Old 07-25-2016, 12:09 AM

According to the brochure, it is only on the SR. Have a look below.

Name:  P37Ox2S.png
Views: 104
Size:  242.3 KB
Old 07-25-2016, 06:08 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I guesa at this point i am going to bring the car back to the dealership because if they are telling me what I am feeling is engine braking but now have learned my SL model doesnt have that feature something else might be the issue
Old 07-25-2016, 08:59 PM

MONTE's and biftikhar's posts make it clear only the SR has Active Engine Braking in the 2016 Maxima, and that explains why I have to switch the tranny to to manual (which effectively gives us 7 'pretend' gears in the 2016 Maxima) in order to get the equivalent of Engine Braking in my Platinum. And that is exactly what my wife and I both discovered in our recent week of steep mountain driving. I do miss having automatic Active Engine braking. I enjoyed it for 11 years in my 2004 and 2009 Maximas.
Old 07-26-2016, 06:10 AM

How is AEB not standard feature? What is "Sport" mode achieving then when it slows the car without pedal application...I think where we're being mislead is that Active as a feature is a more enhanced version of Engine braking...where all of these cars will still have EB, just not all are "active" as a computer program.
Old 07-26-2016, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by MadMax07SL
How is AEB not standard feature? What is "Sport" mode achieving then when it slows the car without pedal application...I think where we're being mislead is that Active as a feature is a more enhanced version of Engine braking...where all of these cars will still have EB, just not all are "active" as a computer program.
I think the truth is somewhere amidst all these posts. Switching to manual in my Platinum enables me to do essentially the same thing AEB did in my previous Maximas. But then switching to manual did the same thing in previous Maximas also. And switching to Sport mode seems to give some of the same effects. But it may be that AEB is always active in the SR no matter the tranny position.

I think Nissan simply likes duplication. We have several ways of effectively having what is essentially Active Engine Braking, just like we can operate many specific functions from the driver's seat by either dash buttons, touch-screen, steering wheel controls, or the master control **** on the console by the driver's seat.
Old 12-30-2021, 11:09 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Older thread I know. I was wondering if anyone had a solution to the engine pull in the SL when coming to a complete stop?
Old 01-11-2022, 10:55 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hey guys,

New to the forum, just purchased a 2016 nissan maxima sl. Ive had the car for a couple weeks now and noticed that when coasting or easing into a stop the car brakes weird at around the 10-15 mph range. The rpms kind of go to alitttle past 1 and then go sligthly below which causes a bit of a jolt i guess.(not really sure how to describe it). The dealership told me this is engine braking and is normal but it doesnt seem right to me. This is my first cvt car so any insight is appreciated. Thanks
was wondering if you ever found a solution to this while you had or have the car? I’m experiencing the same problem
Old 07-23-2022, 05:38 PM

Is it the torque converter?
Old 07-23-2022, 08:19 PM

I believe this is the torque converter releasing. Quite common on Nissan CVT vehicles. My '19 Maxima does it, as my '18 Murano.