8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

Disabling Intelligent Cruise Control (ICC)

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2016, 01:44 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Exclamation Disabling Intelligent Cruise Control (ICC)

Hi all,

Intelligent Cruise Control (ICC) is a fantastic invention, but sometimes you might want set the speed without intelligence

Is it possible to disable ICC in 2016 Nissan Maxima? How?

Thanks.
Old 08-08-2016, 04:43 AM

No that I know of

I too would like to have a conventionally operated cruise control on occasion especially in heavier traffic. Right now the ICC brakes too much and anyone following you sees brake lights all the time. There is no defeat switch for the ICC portion so I find myself not using it all that much unless the traffic is light. I have tried all the different interval settings but when you have open space in front of you, a cowboy swoops in to occupy that space which then causes the ICC to do it's thing, trying to maintain the now lost safe interval.
Old 08-09-2016, 01:08 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by robtroxel
I too would like to have a conventionally operated cruise control on occasion especially in heavier traffic. Right now the ICC brakes too much and anyone following you sees brake lights all the time. There is no defeat switch for the ICC portion so I find myself not using it all that much unless the traffic is light. I have tried all the different interval settings but when you have open space in front of you, a cowboy swoops in to occupy that space which then causes the ICC to do it's thing, trying to maintain the now lost safe interval.
For that exact reason I wish to disable ICC sometimes.

In some other car manufacturers if you press on the distance setting for long time, it disables ICC, but in the Maxima it is not the case
Old 01-27-2017, 07:07 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Help

I have a 2017, was wondering if anyone found a way to turn off the "intelligent" cruise control or disable it. Any help would be appreciated. It is an interesting feature for people who aren't paying attention to the road, but I find I am unable to live with it in normal highway driving. HELP! As I will not use the ICC because I find it so disruptive/annoying to normal driving habits, I am rather perturbed that this will be the first car I have ever owned that has no cruise control. Leaving it off is the best option in my opinion.
Old 01-27-2017, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by the_gamper
I have a 2017, was wondering if anyone found a way to turn off the "intelligent" cruise control or disable it. Any help would be appreciated. It is an interesting feature for people who aren't paying attention to the road, but I find I am unable to live with it in normal highway driving. HELP! As I will not use the ICC because I find it so disruptive/annoying to normal driving habits, I am rather perturbed that this will be the first car I have ever owned that has no cruise control. Leaving it off is the best option in my opinion.
I agree with you. City expressway driving make this usless! What I dislike is the abrubtness that the brakes are applied with which also can cause another close following drivers to rear end you. No way I know to disable this to a regular cruise control.

Last edited by robtroxel; 01-28-2017 at 10:02 AM.
Old 01-28-2017, 05:54 AM

The reason it was named Cruise is just that,for cruising.There are adjustments for it.
Old 01-30-2017, 06:39 AM

What if you turn off the emergency braking?
Old 01-30-2017, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by andremike
That's a thought! Wonder if that "cure", if it works, is worth giving up the emergency braking feature though.
Thanks for the input.
Old 01-30-2017, 04:26 PM

Don't all the emergency features automatically turn themselves back on when restarting the vehicle?
Old 02-01-2017, 11:01 AM
I drank what?

I can turn switch my adaptive cruise control in my Escape between Active and standard. Is it in the settings menu? I am looking into purchasing an 8th gen in the near future and it would nice to be able to have standard cruise control.
Old 02-04-2017, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by andremike
UPdate: As suggested, I turned off the emergency braking feature via the instument panel settings menu. Without turning the car off, I headed to the freeway to try out the cruise control. Unfortunately, the ICC does not revert to the standard on ICC mode we were hoping for. All ICC features remain engaged.

Anyone else got any ideas? I'm wondering if there is a service tech menu buried in the car that might turn ICC off or allow it to revert to a stardard mode.
Old 02-04-2017, 08:49 AM

Most advanced electronic control platforms have hidden diagnostic and settings menus. Google is your friend.
Old 02-05-2017, 06:32 AM

Have you tried varying the distance at which the ICC follows the vehicle ahead? If you have the distance set at "Long", then the car will accelerate and decelerate very often and can be annoying and downright risky in what might be heavier interstate traffic - especially if a car pops in between you and the car ahead. I found that by setting it to "short", the car will accelerate and decelerate less often, while maintaining the "cruise" function without the need for you to take action all the time as with a regular cruise control. How do you adjust this you ask? Refer to your manual page 5-45 for a more detailed explanation, but it is simply this: you can toggle the distance chosen by pressing on the top switch on your cruise control. This varies the number of bars on your cruise display. If three bars are shown, then the distance to follow is "Long", and braking will occur very often. Press the switch once, and two bars will show, now the distance is shorter and moderate braking will occur, and if you press two times, one bar will show and even less braking will occur, but the follow distance is much shorter. I found this to be the least intrusive and best setting when encountering a good bit of traffic on the interstate, while still maintaining that extra "eye" the car has on the traffic ahead and giving you that extra cushion of safety. One bar is almost as non-intrusive as a regular Cruise Control system would be...

Hope this helps those who are looking for a way to get used to their ICC...
Old 02-05-2017, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by MY ALT Z
Have you tried varying the distance at which the ICC follows the vehicle ahead? If you have the distance set at "Long", then the car will accelerate and decelerate very often and can be annoying and downright risky in what might be heavier interstate traffic - especially if a car pops in between you and the car ahead. I found that by setting it to "short", the car will accelerate and decelerate less often, while maintaining the "cruise" function without the need for you to take action all the time as with a regular cruise control. How do you adjust this you ask? Refer to your manual page 5-45 for a more detailed explanation, but it is simply this: you can toggle the distance chosen by pressing on the top switch on your cruise control. This varies the number of bars on your cruise display. If three bars are shown, then the distance to follow is "Long", and braking will occur very often. Press the switch once, and two bars will show, now the distance is shorter and moderate braking will occur, and if you press two times, one bar will show and even less braking will occur, but the follow distance is much shorter. I found this to be the least intrusive and best setting when encountering a good bit of traffic on the interstate, while still maintaining that extra "eye" the car has on the traffic ahead and giving you that extra cushion of safety. One bar is almost as non-intrusive as a regular Cruise Control system would be...

Hope this helps those who are looking for a way to get used to their ICC...
Thanks for your comments. I have aways set the ICC to the "1 Bar" mode but it's still doing too much jacking with the brakes.
Old 05-07-2017, 03:27 PM

Just bought a '17 Platinum. It seem like a lot of money for a car without (usable) cruise control .

Even the close setting slows and brakes too soon for normal traffic. My state thankfully has a law against left lane bandits, so I've always tried to move into the left lane just to pass. Now my car hit the brakes, the car behind me moves to pass the idiot braking for no reason, and I'm stuck behind the white hair in the '82 Oldsmobile. I'm allowed to say that, because I'm a white hair myself.

The manual suggests that snow or plastic covering the sensor might prevent it from seeing cars ahead, so I'm going to try some "soft focus filters" to,see what happens. But if anyone finds a hidden option to switch to "normal" cruise, please advise.
Old 05-07-2017, 11:25 PM

I will never own a car without a good ICC. test drove a few cars with crappy ICC traded in my Accord because of it. Some dealers won't let you test drive on freeways I let them know that was a deal breaker.
To bad there not a way to see why mine is so smooth and fix others.
Old 05-08-2017, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by BlueMax
Just bought a '17 Platinum. It seem like a lot of money for a car without (usable) cruise control .

Even the close setting slows and brakes too soon for normal traffic. My state thankfully has a law against left lane bandits, so I've always tried to move into the left lane just to pass. Now my car hit the brakes, the car behind me moves to pass the idiot braking for no reason, and I'm stuck behind the white hair in the '82 Oldsmobile. I'm allowed to say that, because I'm a white hair myself.

The manual suggests that snow or plastic covering the sensor might prevent it from seeing cars ahead, so I'm going to try some "soft focus filters" to,see what happens. But if anyone finds a hidden option to switch to "normal" cruise, please advise.
I couldnt agree more... Its maddening. I attempted to capture the jest of this in my post Hyperactive Cruise Control.
Old 05-08-2017, 01:55 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

its a thing to me also. sadly someone will probably have to die before they make a change.
Old 05-14-2017, 07:33 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hey Guys! Borrowed a 2017 Rogue and was playing around with the Intelligent cruise. Checked the manual online and it said to hold down the "cruise on/off switch" button for a couple secs when turning on, to enter Conventional or "Fixed Speed " cruise mode. Big write up in the manual, so it is for public consumption. Maybe it'll work for some of you.
Old 05-15-2017, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by oobleck
Hey Guys! Borrowed a 2017 Rogue and was playing around with the Intelligent cruise. Checked the manual online and it said to hold down the "cruise on/off switch" button for a couple secs when turning on, to enter Conventional or "Fixed Speed " cruise mode. Big write up in the manual, so it is for public consumption. Maybe it'll work for some of you.
Thanks for that input. I will try it on my 2016 max today and report back
Old 05-15-2017, 06:56 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Unfortunately for us, I never saw that anywhere in the manual
Hopefully this works.
Old 05-18-2017, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by stikako
Unfortunately for us, I never saw that anywhere in the manual
Hopefully this works.
It does not work on my 2016 Platinum. Tried several times during a recent 50 mile trip
Old 05-19-2017, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by robtroxel
It does not work on my 2016 Platinum. Tried several times during a recent 50 mile trip
Doesn't work for my '17 Max SL either.
Old 05-20-2017, 08:57 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Well crap. Sorry guys. Honest to god, it was in there. Must be a thing Nissan changed a year or two too late. I have added a screenshot too..