8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

Trip computer is dirty liar

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2017, 06:09 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Trip computer is dirty liar

So the last car I owned was a 2014 mazda6. The fuel economy reading for each tank was dead nuts almost every time. My wife's Buick, while not as accurate, is pretty close usually. My 2017 Maxima has overstated fuel economy by 3-4 mpg in each of the last 4 tanks where I actually did the math.

I understand that people might be put off to see that their car supposedly capable of near 30 mpg, is only getting high teens. So maybe Nissan software fudges it a little to make drivers feel better. Except that drivers may be even more put off that the trip computer is so deceiving when the actually do the math on each fill up. This technology has been around for 20 years, no excuse for being so far off from reality...Consistently.

Hoping that this is because still breaking in the car and cold temperatures. Was hoping for a little better fuel economy, the misleading trip computer calculations just add to my frustration.
Old 02-01-2017, 06:55 AM

Haven't found this to be true with my car.
Old 02-01-2017, 07:39 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by mrgooch
Haven't found this to be true with my car.

That was my experience with the last gen maxima as well. I can understand not being 100% correct 100% of the time, but always wrong.....really. If the software was not programmed for feel good numbers, you would think it would sometimes understate your fuel economy. That has never happened....never. It is what it is, wasn't expecting a fuel miser, just calling out something I feel is bs.

I am pretty happy with the car thus far with the exception of the intelligent cruise control and proximity sensors in general. Been a lot of snow and ice lately in my area and they go absolutely crazy, want to disable them totally.
Old 02-01-2017, 10:54 AM

My last trip during which I computed by hand was 36+. Interstate, 70 MPH +, full A/C, had a little traffic during lunch, rest stops, etc. Calculated one tank by hand, worked out to 37.8, worried that I may not have gotten tank exactly as full as the prior fill, I figured an extra 0.3 gallons would work out to 36.6 - which seemed pretty darn close.
Old 02-01-2017, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by gizzsdad
My last trip during which I computed by hand was 36+. Interstate, 70 MPH +, full A/C, had a little traffic during lunch, rest stops, etc. Calculated one tank by hand, worked out to 37.8, worried that I may not have gotten tank exactly as full as the prior fill, I figured an extra 0.3 gallons would work out to 36.6 - which seemed pretty darn close.
I agree with above poster. Mine too is within 1 mpg of hand calculations. I am getting 32+ mpg on the open road and sometimes more if I keep it @ 70 mph. How are you driving? Strong takeoffs? Otherwise your calibrations on the TC appear to be way off.

Last edited by robtroxel; 02-03-2017 at 06:05 AM.
Old 02-02-2017, 05:47 AM

My computer is pretty on. You have to reset it for each tank or it can easily show you a reading that you calculate per tank, but is in fact an overall reading.
Old 02-02-2017, 07:46 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

My Maxima is typically 1-3 MPG below the actual calculation, which is pretty much the same thing I've observed with my Hyundai.
Old 02-03-2017, 09:06 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Mason Hatcher
My computer is pretty on. You have to reset it for each tank or it can easily show you a reading that you calculate per tank, but is in fact an overall reading.
Give me some credit man lol, I know you have to reset computer for each tank for accurate calculations on each fill up.
Old 02-07-2017, 06:08 PM

I am constantly getting about 19 mpg. Trip usually states about 22 mpg but I have done my own calculations and getting about 19 mpg. I have a pretty light feet and usually don't accelerate much over 2k rpm.

Its really disappointing as I was expecting at least 22 mpg when I am driving lightly. If I drive aggressively it drops to about 15 mpg.
Old 02-08-2017, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by Kalrakam
I am constantly getting about 19 mpg. Trip usually states about 22 mpg but I have done my own calculations and getting about 19 mpg. I have a pretty light feet and usually don't accelerate much over 2k rpm.

Its really disappointing as I was expecting at least 22 mpg when I am driving lightly. If I drive aggressively it drops to about 15 mpg.
I believe you are at least 3 to 4 MPG below what my mixed city/highway driving average through hand calculations. (On the open road it is always 32 + MPG). If you have over 5 K on the car, it is time to check things like the engine air filter, ask your dealer to check the computer for timing etc. Help us understand your driving? What per centage is town, highway etc? How aggressive are you on take off? How hard to you brake before stopping? For example, I seldom use my brakes approaching stop signs, instead using the trans to downshift or paddles if you have them. It's all about energy management in gaining or shedding speed. You will be rewarded with long lasting brake pads (I get 50 K on a set) and better mileage
Old 02-08-2017, 05:18 PM

At least it didn't try talking dirty with a svelte voice to say....OHHH I'm getting premium gas per a gallon, ehehe
Old 02-09-2017, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by robtroxel
I believe you are at least 3 to 4 MPG below what my mixed city/highway driving average through hand calculations. (On the open road it is always 32 + MPG). If you have over 5 K on the car, it is time to check things like the engine air filter, ask your dealer to check the computer for timing etc. Help us understand your driving? What per centage is town, highway etc? How aggressive are you on take off? How hard to you brake before stopping? For example, I seldom use my brakes approaching stop signs, instead using the trans to downshift or paddles if you have them. It's all about energy management in gaining or shedding speed. You will be rewarded with long lasting brake pads (I get 50 K on a set) and better mileage
I would say I drive 60/40 for highway/city. I am not aggressive at all - I am usually under 2k rpm when taking off and I take my time to brake to a full stop.

I am running tests with different brand of gas to see if that's going to make a huge difference. Usually, I get gas from Sam's club where I get 19 mpg, but over next few weeks I am going to get gas from different locations (Shell, Chevron, Costco, Fredmeyer) to see if that has a major play or not. All of these places offer same type of premium gas so that makes it easier to see which gas effects the most.

I will update it when I have all that information.