8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

Steering Wheel Tick

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2017, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by FattiesGoneWild
Needs to be a TSB as this seems to be a flaw atm.
What do you mean it needs to be a TSB? What are you referring to specifically regarding my post?
Old 08-08-2017, 06:48 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Got the car back on Monday, they replaced the steering wheel and it took care of the problem.
Old 09-18-2017, 08:45 PM

Took the car in today for this once again. Only to tell me sorry we don't hear any thing. Not happening. This sound is annoying as heck. I demanded them to replace the steering wheel with another new one to resolve this issue. Since it was closing time. Go figure huh? I told my service guy politely to take care of it or I will get the owner, Nissan consumer affairs or corporate involved. I have driven this car for 3k miles as it is now and I am sick of the noise. I even explained of other reports with people having this same issue. He promised to get back with me and talk to the service manager. Maybe I need to bring in a copy of this thread.

Brand new car and its like pulling teeth to get warranty work done. Unreal.

Last edited by FattiesGoneWild; 09-18-2017 at 08:48 PM.
Old 09-18-2017, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by FattiesGoneWild
Took the car in today for this once again. Only to tell me sorry we don't hear any thing. Not happening. This sound is annoying as heck. I demanded them to replace the steering wheel with another new one to resolve this issue. Since it was closing time. Go figure huh? I told my service guy politely to take care of it or I will get the owner, Nissan consumer affairs or corporate involved. I have driven this car for 3k miles as it is now and I am sick of the noise. I even explained of other reports with people having this same issue. He promised to get back with me and talk to the service manager. Maybe I need to bring in a copy of this thread.
check out my post #38 in this thread. A new wheel will have the same design, meaning it will develop the same problem... Just put some felt or foam tape or something in between those parts and it should take care of it.

The he max in the video I shot was a rental and the sound was very present. On my Max, it's barely there
Old 09-19-2017, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by CNTRT
check out my post #38 in this thread. A new wheel will have the same design, meaning it will develop the same problem... Just put some felt or foam tape or something in between those parts and it should take care of it.

The he max in the video I shot was a rental and the sound was very present. On my Max, it's barely there
Seen that. Don't doubt you one bit and thanks for posting that. At the same time. Other folks have got their wheel replaced and it fixed the issue. If it does come back like you said. I guess only time will tell. I am still going to push them for a new steering wheel replacement to address it. I was already not pleased them tearing into a brand new car replacing the clock spring.
Old 09-19-2017, 08:37 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Just an idea.....

On my Genesis forum, folks were complaining about the ticking noise. It was determined to be the springs from the airbag that compress when you push the horn. After removing the airbag and lubricating the springs....the ticking went away. Just throwing it out there....
Old 09-28-2017, 03:03 PM

Little update. I took it to another dealer since my dealer could not hear it. Me and the master tech went on a test drive and of course. At first it would not do it. But as we went on FINALLY he heard it. Got another brand new Platinum and the steering wheel was quite as can be. Loved it and wished mine was like that. Per Nissan instead of just putting a new steering wheel on. They want him to pin point it and find where its coming from EXACTLY. Tip. I said it was from the plastic. They obviously have some bad wheels out there because not everyone has this issue. They want a "report" as this is abnormal. Apparently I am the only newer gen Maxima to come in with this problem at that dealership.

My local dealership was really of no assist. They did not want to deal with it one bit. This dealership wants to get to the bottom of it and actually find the issue. Maybe a TSB MIGHT come out of this with my car being the start of it. Would be nice for other customers that wont have to run into this problem. Since it happens randomly and its not exactly consistent. They want to keep the car a day or 2 to pick/probe at the problem on the steering wheel itself. I really tried to have them just replace the steering wheel. Even got Nissan consumer affairs involved. Its just not happening until they pin point it on the steering wheel itself.

Last edited by FattiesGoneWild; 09-28-2017 at 03:10 PM.
Old 09-29-2017, 02:02 PM

I've said it before and I'll say it again, on every maxima I've been in that had the sound, it came from the plastic "v" on the wheel. The plastic flexes and rubs against the surrounding surfaces causing the sounds. I made a video, and posted the link in this thread
Old 09-29-2017, 02:48 PM

I've said it before and I'll say it again, on every maxima I've been in that had the sound, it came from the plastic "v" on the wheel. The plastic flexes and rubs against the surrounding surfaces causing the sounds. I made a video, and posted the link in this thread
I seen it and I believe you. I am going to mention it to the tech again and bring your video as well. I am trying to get Nissan to recognize this as a problem across the board. Another reason why I hope a TSB comes out of it. This way Nissan knows pin point it and customers wont have to go through the hassle like myself in the future.

Last edited by FattiesGoneWild; 09-29-2017 at 02:51 PM.
Old 10-06-2017, 11:12 PM

Steering wheel was replaced today with another new one and the noise is completely gone. Nice to have a quiet steering wheel again. They pin pointed it down to the lower plastic piece making the noise. Which well all know about. Notes were made and sent to Nissan. This is certainly abnormal and not a common thing. I was the first one that came through that particular dealership with this noise on a new Maxima. At least that is what I was told by one of their master techs that was working with me. I had to go to another dealer 25 miles out since the dealer I bought it from was useless. Telling me they cant hear it etc. Yeah right. A little birdie told me in a situation like this. If you come back and they misdiagnosed it like they did saying it was the clock spring. Then they replace the steering wheel the dealership eats the cost since they failed to diagnose it properly. Sounds about right to me why they did not want to "hear" it.
Old 10-07-2017, 06:04 PM

For those of you that have the steering wheel creak, don't just let the dealer blindly replace your clockspring or steering wheel... Check this out: https://maxima.org/forums/8th-genera...ml#post9154252
Thanks for the vid. Interesting. If I were out of warranty I would apply a little silicone lube into those crevices with the edge of a thin cloth. I'll bet that would help in your case anyway. Also, as the car ages and the plastics shrink up a bit it just might eliminate those pieces rubbing together and making that creaking noise.... but then again who wants to wait it out.
Old 10-07-2017, 07:53 PM

Minor issue. Coming home last night and today. When getting on a noisy road. I hear a rattle coming directly from the middle part of the steering wheel. My passenger even heard it as well. If I put my hand over the middle cover and press down ever so slightly. It goes away. What could be rattling behind the cover?!?! I will let the dealer know but wont be taking it back until my first oil change. I don't believe its a safety issue or any thing currently.
Old 10-08-2017, 01:17 PM

After all the steering wheel talk I thought I might as well see if I have the squeaky wheel too in my '17 SL. I sneaked out into the garage, slowly opened the door, slipped in and shook and twisted the heck out of the wheel. Quiet........for now.

Last edited by compyelc4; 10-09-2017 at 08:41 PM.
Old 10-09-2017, 07:26 PM

I decided to go ahead and take it back today. I have about 1,100 miles to go before the first oil change. Went on a test run with one of their Nissan master techs. He we the same one that went on the first run hearing the steering wheel creak. Late during the test run it finally did it and he heard the rattle himself. He was puzzled and said really nothing to fancy back there going on. Some springs and clips. So he removed the airbag again and put some felt tape on the contact ends. Hoping that would solve it. While its better then before. The rattle is still there. So I exchanged creaking for a rattle. Great. Also when the replaced the wheel. I though it was interesting an alignment was needed? Here are the notes.

"Removed the wheel trying to get it to center and either way wheel was off center. Performed a alignment to fix the wheel. Adjustment front toe-in"

Could that be a problem from the previous dealer that had replaced the clock spring? I hope that was installed properly when they changed it out.

Last edited by FattiesGoneWild; 10-09-2017 at 07:34 PM.
Old 10-26-2017, 01:08 PM

Finally Nissan decided to do swap on the steering wheels, will get my car back on Saturday. Will update on the results.
Old 11-03-2017, 05:18 AM

Update... got my car back, Nissan replaced my steering wheel. And no more misery of pebble in a jar sound while driving.
Old 11-10-2017, 04:40 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

The ticking/buzzing coming from my 17 steering wheel area was definitely coming from the Nissan logo in the middle of the steering wheel on the air bag assembly. I could push on the top and bottom of the circle on the Nissan logo in the middle of the steering wheel, which would push the logo tight against the air bag cover, and the noise would stop. My dealer indicated that the logo was made loose on purpose so the logo would not cause damage to the driver when the air bag was inflated in a collision. My dealer replaced the air bag assembly on the steering wheel (under warranty) and the ticking/buzzing noise completely has stopped.
Old 02-17-2018, 05:23 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

What is the DIY fix for this? I have the exact sound that’s in the video in post #38 if this thread. I read to put felt tape on it but where? Mine is all on the left side and completely stops if u push in on it a little. It makes the noise when I’m moving my hands in the wheel like when turning etc. not super loud but loud enough especially when the car is quiet inside. TIA!
Old 02-17-2018, 07:55 PM

If the car is under warranty get the steering wheel replaced. They replaced mine and the noise never came back.
Old 02-17-2018, 10:44 PM

One day they work for Nissan and it the best car in the world, Then next week they work for Hyundai and say are you ready to trade up from that Maxima! Sad but true, it is the most lying job you can have!