8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

Steering Wheel Tick

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2017, 11:50 AM

Steering Wheel Tick

Hey guys,

Sorry to post twice in the same week but I was wondering if anyone else heres a tick when turning the steering wheel at low speeds (particularly the platinum). It's not particularly annoying but I just wanted to make sure it's not something faulty. The salesman said it was the gyroscope (or something like that) but I just wanted to see if others have it as well.

Last edited by paliforever; 03-05-2017 at 11:55 AM.
Old 03-05-2017, 12:50 PM

I'm getting it too. 2017 Platinum. Dealer is replacing my steering wheel, but it is on national backorder. Said it will be several weeks.
Old 03-05-2017, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by Sbradle4
I'm getting it too. 2017 Platinum. Dealer is replacing my steering wheel, but it is on national backorder. Said it will be several weeks.
Did they tell you what the issue was? I'm actually shocked the salesman told me this sound was normal.
Old 03-05-2017, 01:19 PM

It's the wheel itself. If you hold the wheel at 9:00 and 3:00 push on one side and pull on the other, it would make the clicking sound. Had nothing to do with the clock spring.
Old 03-06-2017, 07:15 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I started hearing the same thing on my 2017 Platinum a couple of weeks ago and was going to post about the issue. I'll get the dealer to take a look at it at the 5k service which I probably will need by the end of this month.
Old 03-06-2017, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by paliforever
Hey guys,

Sorry to post twice in the same week but I was wondering if anyone else heres a tick when turning the steering wheel at low speeds (particularly the platinum). It's not particularly annoying but I just wanted to make sure it's not something faulty. The salesman said it was the gyroscope (or something like that) but I just wanted to see if others have it as well.
omg, gyroscope?!? I guess thats better than to say periscope....
The salesman are the worst people to ask for car advice.
Old 03-06-2017, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Rml612
I started hearing the same thing on my 2017 Platinum a couple of weeks ago and was going to post about the issue. I'll get the dealer to take a look at it at the 5k service which I probably will need by the end of this month.
I went in today and they're replacing my steering wheel. Definitely get it checked out. Hopefully it's an easy fix
Old 03-06-2017, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by maxud
omg, gyroscope?!? I guess thats better than to say periscope....
The salesman are the worst people to ask for car advice.
Yeah, I honestly knew the car better than he did. It feels like the average salesman knows nothing about the cars they sell these days
Old 03-06-2017, 02:36 PM

Yeah, I honestly knew the car better than he did. It feels like the average salesman knows nothing about the cars they sell these days
It's not just the sales guys. My service manager didn't even know how to update the gps maps!!
Old 03-07-2017, 11:40 AM

I have the same experience went for repair twice and on one they replace the clock spring and I still hear this pebble rattling inside the wheel!!! I might ask for a replacement. And above post says the wheels are backordered for weeks, lets see.
Old 03-07-2017, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by xydehead
I have the same experience went for repair twice and on one they replace the clock spring and I still hear this pebble rattling inside the wheel!!! I might ask for a replacement. And above post says the wheels are backordered for weeks, lets see.
so apparently "backordered for weeks" meant a couple of days... Dealer called me yesterday and the wheel has come in. Being replaced on Thursday.
Old 03-07-2017, 03:47 PM

so apparently "backordered for weeks" meant a couple of days... Dealer called me yesterday and the wheel has come in. Being replaced on Thursday.
Let us know how it goes!
Old 03-07-2017, 03:48 PM

Did they not switch out your steering wheel yet?
Old 03-07-2017, 06:17 PM

Did they not switch out your steering wheel yet?
no not yet, i will go tomorrow and ask for replacement. Is there a service record i can refer to..
Old 03-07-2017, 09:33 PM

no not yet, i will go tomorrow and ask for replacement. Is there a service record i can refer to..
Not sure, I would just show them this forum. Is your sound a tick that comes when you turn the wheel every 10 degrees or so?
Old 03-08-2017, 04:43 AM

The sounds come in both cases, turn and driving.
Old 03-09-2017, 02:52 PM

Mine (2016 SR) has been doing it since the day I'd purchased the vehicle and my service rep had said it just needed some special tape to mask the noise and that it was a known issue. They'd returned the car to me and the sound is STILL there. I'm going to have them change the steering wheel. Hopefully it won't be the entire steering column because after I'd had them change the one on my 2013 (odometer display went blank), dust had started to get behind. I can only assume it wasn't sealed properly or if once the seal is broken that it'll never be the same. Very surprised this steering ticking issue has made it into the 2017s too. Nissan QC really needs to step it up. I love the car but from the rattles next to the driver side airbag section, to the cheap paint that chips VERY easily, to these nagging steering tick issues, it's really getting old. This is my 4th Maxima ('04, '10, '13, '16) and will probably be my last.

Last edited by MAX828; 03-09-2017 at 02:57 PM.
Old 03-09-2017, 03:04 PM

Alright, got the steering wheel replaced. I had two issues, a scratch in the leather wheel that was there when i bought the car, which was the original reason for going in. I then discovered before I took it in, the wheel ticking.
As I described, it happens when you turn, but also will happen if you grab the wheel at 9:00 and 3:00 and push on one side, pull on the other.
When I brought the Max in this morning, the service manager said, "are you here for the steering wheel rock recall?" So there is apparently a new recall or TSB for "Steering Wheel Rock," which explains the sudden backorder on the steering wheels. So if your steering wheel ticks, take it in!
Old 03-11-2017, 08:43 PM

Alright, got the steering wheel replaced. I had two issues, a scratch in the leather wheel that was there when i bought the car, which was the original reason for going in. I then discovered before I took it in, the wheel ticking.
As I described, it happens when you turn, but also will happen if you grab the wheel at 9:00 and 3:00 and push on one side, pull on the other.
When I brought the Max in this morning, the service manager said, "are you here for the steering wheel rock recall?" So there is apparently a new recall or TSB for "Steering Wheel Rock," which explains the sudden backorder on the steering wheels. So if your steering wheel ticks, take it in!
Can you please provide us your customer copy which mentions the above thingy, thanks.
Old 03-24-2017, 03:29 PM

Ok. There is something wrong. My service advisor can't find the TSB.
"I checked for any pending or open recalls none show available for Maxima. I also checked Nissan Assist as well for any TSB and it shows nothing available regarding a steering wheel concerns. I asked my service manager as well and he has not heard of any such issue with them. We can schedule an appointment for you if you would like to have a technician look at the steering wheel noise concern.
However just heads up there may not be much we can do to change that noise, since prying on a steering wheel in such a manor as described below would never really be something anyone should be doing during regular driving. I’m sure if you push and pull on any part of the car that has plastic or is bolted down it will more than likely make some sort of noise.

I also double checked parts status Nissan shows no backorder on steering wheels that we can see, I checked my VIN# for my maxima and Nissan showed 4 steering wheels in stock in Master warehouse in Tenn."

Any thoughts?
Old 03-24-2017, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by Ricky Green
Ok. There is something wrong. My service advisor can't find the TSB.
"I checked for any pending or open recalls none show available for Maxima. I also checked Nissan Assist as well for any TSB and it shows nothing available regarding a steering wheel concerns. I asked my service manager as well and he has not heard of any such issue with them. We can schedule an appointment for you if you would like to have a technician look at the steering wheel noise concern.
However just heads up there may not be much we can do to change that noise, since prying on a steering wheel in such a manor as described below would never really be something anyone should be doing during regular driving. I’m sure if you push and pull on any part of the car that has plastic or is bolted down it will more than likely make some sort of noise.

I also double checked parts status Nissan shows no backorder on steering wheels that we can see, I checked my VIN# for my maxima and Nissan showed 4 steering wheels in stock in Master warehouse in Tenn."

Any thoughts?
All I know is what my service advisor told me; for both the wheel rocking and back order. My wheel has already been replaced, no more ticking.
Old 03-25-2017, 01:02 AM

Is it a tticking sound or is there a creaking sound like you are walking on an old wood floor?
Old 03-25-2017, 03:57 AM

sr with 4k miles does both. Creaks while turning, and even placing hand around the steering wheel. Tick on momentum. Drives me nuts...
Old 03-25-2017, 06:45 AM

For me it was just the like clicking sound. Someone asked to see the repair slip, here's how my service department entered it.
Old 03-25-2017, 07:44 AM

Thanks a lot. Looks like a clean swap, no tbs or something like those in reference.
Old 03-25-2017, 09:41 AM

Thanks a lot. Looks like a clean swap, no tbs or something like those in reference.
Old 06-07-2017, 12:56 PM

I'm hearing the same clicking noise in my steering wheel when I push it in near the 12 o clock. '17 platinum. Going to be taking it to the dealer soon.
Old 06-09-2017, 11:52 AM

Till Date Nissan and Dealer is playing around me saying it's normal for steering wheel to make this pebble sound inside the jar and the creaking sound.

Last night I was able to fix the creaking sound when wheel is pressed and move.

FIX:
Need to apply some foam tape (I bought this $5 small adhesive insulation Home Depot) between the plastic cover (where we press for horn) this plastic meets the steering button cluster; there add some foam and the creaking is gone.
Old 06-09-2017, 04:13 PM

Our brand new 2017 Platinum has this steering wheel creaking noise. Annoying as hell.
Old 06-16-2017, 01:49 PM

They are replacing my steering wheel. They just ordered it and it will be here next week.
Old 07-05-2017, 01:59 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Brought my 2017 Platinum in for 10,000 mile service. Dealer heard the steering wheel tick and will be replacing it. Parts are ordered and should be in next week.
Old 07-06-2017, 05:26 AM

Is this only on Maximas with the power adjustable steering column?

Have any S or SV's had this issue?

Last edited by CNTRT; 07-06-2017 at 05:28 AM.
Old 07-24-2017, 09:05 PM

They ordered some kind of new part to fix the creek noise with mine. Should be in with in a few days I was told.
Old 08-02-2017, 04:44 PM

I got the repair notes. It said they traced it back to the clock spring and replaced it. Well I got the car back today and guess what? Its still doing it.
Old 08-03-2017, 05:02 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by FattiesGoneWild
I got the repair notes. It said they traced it back to the clock spring and replaced it. Well I got the car back today and guess what? Its still doing it.
Hmmm, mine goes in tomorrow for the fix. It took them 3 weeks to get the parts, we will see what happens.
Old 08-03-2017, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by FattiesGoneWild
Take it back. They replaced my steering wheel and the noise is gone. I also had rattling coming from my car, had to take it there 3 or 4 times before they finally fixed it.
Old 08-03-2017, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Viper786
Take it back. They replaced my steering wheel and the noise is gone. I also had rattling coming from my car, had to take it there 3 or 4 times before they finally fixed it.
Yeah I will bring it up again with my first oil change. Tired of dealing with them for now.
Old 08-05-2017, 05:43 PM

For those of you that have the steering wheel creak, don't just let the dealer blindly replace your clockspring or steering wheel... Check this out: https://maxima.org/forums/8th-genera...ml#post9154252
Old 08-05-2017, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by Rml612
Hmmm, mine goes in tomorrow for the fix. It took them 3 weeks to get the parts, we will see what happens.
Did it fix the issue?
Old 08-05-2017, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by CNTRT
For those of you that have the steering wheel creak, don't just let the dealer blindly replace your clockspring or steering wheel... Check this out: https://maxima.org/forums/8th-genera...ml#post9154252
Needs to be a TSB as this seems to be a flaw atm.