8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

Radio Problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2017, 01:33 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Radio Problem

I have a 2016 Platinum model and have been having trouble with the radio. I almost always listen to satellite radio and usually shut down the car without shutting down the radio first. When I restart the car, the radio (almost) instantly picks up the satellite signal and begins playing the last station that was playing. But, I'm unable to change the channels for a couple of minutes. If I use the steering wheel control to cycle through the presets, the playing station does not change and the screen says "no signal". Eventually, the radio will cycle through several channels at one time. Sometimes, I can drive for a couple of miles before I can actually change the station.

I don't remember having this problem when the car was new and mentioned it at my last maintenance visit. The service department checked the radio and came back that there was no problem. The service advisor said that I should call Sirius XM and have them reset the radio. The only thing the reset did was cause me to lose the two Howard Stern channels. I called Sirius XM to complain and was told that it was some sort of glitch and that I was lucky to have received the channels. I really dislike Sirius XM but I'll save that for another post.

Back to my radio problem. Has anyone else had this happen? This is really becoming annoying.

Last edited by FourthMaxima; 03-06-2017 at 03:31 PM.
Old 03-06-2017, 02:32 PM

Yes, mine does the same thing. Sometimes it takes longer than others. It has done it since new. I have a 2016 plat. My 2013 RAM didn't do that so not sure what the issue is.
Old 03-06-2017, 03:31 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

So, this is normal? If so, it's annoying as hell. I don't recall it happening when I first got the car but maybe it was. I wish there was a fix for this.
Old 03-06-2017, 04:05 PM

Mine does it as well, since day one. And it is inconsistent also, sometimes it's 30 seconds, sometimes its 2 minutes...
Old 03-06-2017, 04:26 PM

Sometime back, I wrote this issue up - but until now, no one else has come forward. Mine takes about 45 seconds to get back to a channel changing mode and then it works just great. Doesn't bother me now since I know to expect the delay.
Old 03-06-2017, 04:41 PM

I would say it's normal, annoying, but normal.
Old 03-06-2017, 07:52 PM

I would suspect that this is the exact same situation as the traffic signal, weather radar, etc., which do not appear on the maps for somewhere between half a minute and up to two minutes after I start the car. That is because the car's computer has to search for and make contact with a satellite, do an electronic 'handshake' to confirm communications, and then bring down info such as the traffic and weather radar to overlay on the map, as well as set up the SIRIUS radio information and connect the signal to the radio.

I am personally pleased that I am always able to get satellite info within a minute or two, often faster than the psi of my tires is displayed. Perhaps I am somewhat less demanding than most here, as I grew up at a time (1930s) when the antennas on home radios were not grounded, and if they came in contact with something like curtains, the curtains would go up in flames. My Mom never liked that.
Old 03-06-2017, 09:04 PM

Mine does it. Normal operation
Old 03-07-2017, 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by FourthMaxima
I have a 2016 Platinum model and have been having trouble with the radio. I almost always listen to satellite radio and usually shut down the car without shutting down the radio first. When I restart the car, the radio (almost) instantly picks up the satellite signal and begins playing the last station that was playing. But, I'm unable to change the channels for a couple of minutes. If I use the steering wheel control to cycle through the presets, the playing station does not change and the screen says "no signal". Eventually, the radio will cycle through several channels at one time. Sometimes, I can drive for a couple of miles before I can actually change the station.

I don't remember having this problem when the car was new and mentioned it at my last maintenance visit. The service department checked the radio and came back that there was no problem. The service advisor said that I should call Sirius XM and have them reset the radio. The only thing the reset did was cause me to lose the two Howard Stern channels. I called Sirius XM to complain and was told that it was some sort of glitch and that I was lucky to have received the channels. I really dislike Sirius XM but I'll save that for another post.

Back to my radio problem. Has anyone else had this happen? This is really becoming annoying.
I read about problems on this forum with the Maxima, this has to be the most "serious" I have ever read.

Maybe before shutting of your car, you could tune to the station you would like to listen to when you return to your car.
Old 03-23-2017, 04:46 PM

I have a '17 SL and I noticed this problem after the first week. Also, the colored SXM station icons would be missing even when showing good signal strength from satellites and radio antenna. I noticed it when driving on very overcast days. Since having SXM reset my system (had it moved from '07 Altima to the new Maxima) I have not experienced this problem, although it does take about 15 seconds to sync up when pulling out of my garage. It is my belief that the new Maxima has a weak window antenna system and needs an absolutely perfect strong signal to receive properly. No problems with the GPS however.
Old 03-23-2017, 06:28 PM

I've noticed the same problem. All was fine - SXM channels available very soon after radio was turned on - until the past week when it always takes a minute or two for the icons to load and for me to be able to switch channels.

This happens in the same locations where once I had no problem.

It's gotten so bad that I was thinking about calling the dealer, however...from the posts here...it seems as if this may be standard operation for a Maxima.
Old 03-24-2017, 05:29 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks to all for your helpful replies expect for RickSmith who thought this wasn't an important enough question to ask on the forum. I know it's not a deal-breaker (and I still like my Maxima) but the delay is annoying. RickSmith suggested that I tune to the station that I want before I shut off the car but alas, I'm not as clairvoyant as he is and don't know what will be playing when I get in the car the next day.

I will try to have SXM reset the system (again) to see if it makes a difference. Thanks again to most.
Old 03-28-2017, 03:25 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

2012 Maxima radio controls stop working

Today, my radio controls stopped working on the steering column. Went to the actual radio controls, volume control, I can adjust the volume controls but then goes back to the original volume setting. Please advise
Old 04-03-2017, 04:10 AM
I drank what?

I have noticed this with my SL as well. I came from the Sync 3 system in my Escape. That system was light years ahead of this one. faster and a cleaner more defined screen. But it still had it's issues with syncing to the iPhone and it had CarPlay as well. I think every infotainment system has it's issues but I love this car and the gas mileage is ridiculous.
Old 04-03-2017, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by Sunshine11
Today, my radio controls stopped working on the steering column. Went to the actual radio controls, volume control, I can adjust the volume controls but then goes back to the original volume setting. Please advise

See your dealer
Old 04-03-2017, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by Sunshine11
Probably the wrong forum, if you're talking about a 2012.
Old 04-04-2017, 05:59 AM

Thanks to all for your helpful replies expect for RickSmith who thought this wasn't an important enough question to ask on the forum. I know it's not a deal-breaker (and I still like my Maxima) but the delay is annoying. RickSmith suggested that I tune to the station that I want before I shut off the car but alas, I'm not as clairvoyant as he is and don't know what will be playing when I get in the car the next day.

I will try to have SXM reset the system (again) to see if it makes a difference. Thanks again to most.
Sorry that you didn't catch the humor of my in quotation marks "serious" remark. I guess if I would have spelled it "Sirius" you would have caught it.
Old 08-24-2017, 12:13 PM

FWIW, I am having the exact same issues. It didn't seem to occur when the car was new, has gotten worse over the last month or so. Anyone find a solution or if a dealer has been able to fix this?
Old 09-19-2017, 03:49 AM

{Bump} Curious if anyone has found a solution to the radio issue or if a dealer has been able to fix this? It seems the delay issue is worsening over time and that the smallest things cause interference so it cuts out. Someone was going to try to have SXM reset the system to see if that would help - did it? Could this be an antenna issue in terms of the connection with the radio?
Old 06-06-2019, 09:13 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

2016 Max SR

I have the same issue as the OP but I've noticed over the 2 years I've owned the car that this happens for a period of time then resolves itself, then comes back several months later. Not sure if its an issue with Siruis XM or if it's an issue with the radio itself. But has anyone had a resolution to this issue yet? Is there a software update for the radio?
Old 06-06-2019, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by compyelc4
I have a '17 SL and I noticed this problem after the first week. Also, the colored SXM station icons would be missing even when showing good signal strength from satellites and radio antenna. I noticed it when driving on very overcast days. Since having SXM reset my system (had it moved from '07 Altima to the new Maxima) I have not experienced this problem, although it does take about 15 seconds to sync up when pulling out of my garage. It is my belief that the new Maxima has a weak window antenna system and needs an absolutely perfect strong signal to receive properly. No problems with the GPS however.
Update: After another 6 months the radio is up to its old tricks. It is a clear, sunny day here and I had no station icons from the time I left work until I arrived at home. This is so sporadic the dealer can't troubleshoot. I'm hoping the radio craps out when I am near my dealer so I can drive it in and let them see what it is doing. They say they need to "catch" it when the problem occurs. Yeah, right!

Last edited by compyelc4; 06-06-2019 at 09:52 AM.
Old 06-06-2019, 10:27 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Update: After another 6 months the radio is up to its old tricks. It is a clear, sunny day here and I had no station icons from the time I left work until I arrived at home. This is so sporadic the dealer can't troubleshoot. I'm hoping the radio craps out when I am near my dealer so I can drive it in and let them see what it is doing. They say they need to "catch" it when the problem occurs. Yeah, right!
I'll take it to the dealership today and see what they say and repost with what they say. Its very annoying since when this happens, it usually "sticks" to a station I dont normally listen to and I have to suffer (lol) through several minutes of whatever's playing until the radio corrects and lets me change the station either with the presets or manually.
Old 06-06-2019, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by kenball72
I'll take it to the dealership today and see what they say and repost with what they say. Its very annoying since when this happens, it usually "sticks" to a station I dont normally listen to and I have to suffer (lol) through several minutes of whatever's playing until the radio corrects and lets me change the station either with the presets or manually.
Good luck bro. Can't wait to hear what they say... proly "call Serius/SM"
Old 06-06-2019, 12:35 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Good luck bro. Can't wait to hear what they say... proly "call Serius/SM"
Ok so I start up my car to head to the dealership and the radio (upon start up) is working normal, turning on with the station I last tuned to before parking it.

So I think a definite fix is for this issue is going on to a forum and threatening to take the car to the dealership to have the radio checked out
Old 06-06-2019, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by kenball72
Ok so I start up my car to head to the dealership and the radio (upon start up) is working normal, turning on with the station I last tuned to before parking it.

So I think a definite fix is for this issue is going on to a forum and threatening to take the car to the dealership to have the radio checked out
Normal experience. This is why my last post stated that I hoped the next time the radio crapped out that I would be near a dealership so I would have evidence, other than the photos, which they will not accept as evidence. Bull!
Old 09-24-2019, 11:30 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Does anyone have an update on a solution to this issue? I have a 2017 Platinum Maxima and this started a few moths after I got the car. I never had this issue with my 2012 Maxima.
Old 09-24-2019, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by flashh80
Does anyone have an update on a solution to this issue? I have a 2017 Platinum Maxima and this started a few moths after I got the car. I never had this issue with my 2012 Maxima.
I've had this problem intermittently since I got my '16 SL.

My SXM radio is now in one of it's lock-on-a-station phases. Seems to also coincide with the radio not showing the icons when the radio is turned on. Even when there's a strong signal and I'm in a usual location (such as my driveway!), it can take up to one or two minutes for the icons to appear. Until they do, I can't tune the radio away from the station that it's chosen to lock on to upon powering up.

As far as I know, there is no solution. I - and probably other owners of recent Maxima's - just have to put up with it.
Old 07-08-2020, 05:18 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Same problem

I also have a 2016 Platinum Maxima and just recently started having a similar problem. Every time I get in my car Sirius XM starts up on channel 1 and says I have no signal for a couple of miles before I can change the channel. I called Sirius XM four or five different times and they always end up saying that ithe Nissan dealership needs to update the XM module. I took it to my Nissan dealership and they said it would be $151 to diagnose and they searched the national database and did not find anybody else with this problem. I didn't pursue it any further yet and I'm not sure that I will. Maybe time to shut down SiriusXM. Let me know if you find anything out and I'll keep you posted.
Todd

Old 07-08-2020, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Tkorogi
I also have a 2016 Platinum Maxima and just recently started having a similar problem. Every time I get in my car Sirius XM starts up on channel 1 and says I have no signal for a couple of miles before I can change the channel. I called Sirius XM four or five different times and they always end up saying that ithe Nissan dealership needs to update the XM module. I took it to my Nissan dealership and they said it would be $151 to diagnose and they searched the national database and did not find anybody else with this problem. I didn't pursue it any further yet and I'm not sure that I will. Maybe time to shut down SiriusXM. Let me know if you find anything out and I'll keep you posted.
Todd
I have had this problem plus the SiriusXM icon presets turning into some generic icons. Have had this problem off and one since 2017; mostly okay however. For the past year though the problem has not returned.

PS- I wonder why my name did not show up on Nissan database. I had it in a few times for diagnosis while in warranty and they never found an issue. I call "bull" on their database search.
Old 01-01-2022, 12:45 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

2009 maxima factory radio power issue

I have a 2009 maxima with the orange screen all factory radio recently the radio will not turn off when I turn the car off and if it actually does turn off it may turn back on randomly while I'm not in the car so I'm having to unhook my battery otherwise I wake up to a dead battery. Does anyone have any ideas?
Old 01-02-2022, 11:23 AM

Find the radio fuse and pull it out. Leave this fuse out, then park the car for the night without disconnecting the battery. If the battery stays up, the radio is surely defective.
Also look at your trunk light. Is it hot? Try pulling the bulb before parking for the night too.
Old 01-02-2022, 06:17 PM

why dont you guys use your phone and record it when it does this,then show it to the dealer,yw