8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

Radio Issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2016, 05:16 AM

Radio Issue

Greetings everyone. I just wanted to post an issue I am having to see if anyone else has experienced it as well. I've had my SR for about a month. Within this time I have had my radio volume just stop working. I'll be driving out my subdivision and poof nothing. I changed stations, tried FM, AM, bluetooth...nothing. So I pulled over and turned the car off/on and it worked again. No more issues that day. After a week the same thing happened again. Anyone else have this happen? I was just going to wait until my first oil change unless it got progressively worse.
Old 05-13-2016, 06:59 PM

I don't recall seeing this problem here for the 8th gen Maxima (or the 7th or 6th or 5th gens for that matter). There is clearly a short/disconnect of some kind in your system, and I doubt it will just 'go away.'

Since you are in Nashville, you could zip just down the road to the Smyrna Assembly Plant where your car was assembled, tell them you want a radio that will stay on, and you want it now.

Or, realistically, if this becomes persistent, call your dealer and ask him when you can get this looked at. I suspect he will simply replace the radio, and, if the problem still persists, then actually have a service tech check out the wiring to and from the radio. Since the problem covers all methods of sound, I suspect the problem is in wiring leading up to the radio, or wiring just leaving the radio before it splits to the different speakers. But it could be the radio itself.

Sorry you are having this problem with your new baby.
Old 05-14-2016, 01:16 AM

No issues with the radio on my SR. Definitely have the dealer check it out.
Old 05-14-2016, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by ZroSkil
No issues with the radio on my SR. Definitely have the dealer check it out.
Yes, I would get this looked at soon. While not related to your problem, I have noticed that the XM tuner will not allow you to change stations for about 2 minutes just after car is started. After that time delay, channel changing works as it should. Incidentally the XM does play to last tuned station during this 2 minute delay. It may be normal behavior?
Old 05-14-2016, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by robtroxel
Yes, I would get this looked at soon. While not related to your problem, I have noticed that the XM tuner will not allow you to change stations for about 2 minutes just after car is started. After that time delay, channel changing works as it should. Incidentally the XM does play to last tuned station during this 2 minute delay. It may be normal behavior?
I only have the travel/traffic/weather part of XM, so can't check for that two minute radio station delay. Maybe it takes a moment or two to complete 'handshakes' with the satellite and confirm you are a valid user. But that is purely guessing.
Old 05-15-2016, 05:12 AM

That's kinda what I am thinking. Were you able to get a "deal" on the travel/traffic/weather part of XM? I may go that route for next year. Thanks!
Old 05-15-2016, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by mantnyh
Greetings everyone. I just wanted to post an issue I am having to see if anyone else has experienced it as well. I've had my SR for about a month. Within this time I have had my radio volume just stop working. I'll be driving out my subdivision and poof nothing. I changed stations, tried FM, AM, bluetooth...nothing. So I pulled over and turned the car off/on and it worked again. No more issues that day. After a week the same thing happened again. Anyone else have this happen? I was just going to wait until my first oil change unless it got progressively worse.
I had this exact thing happen once on my sr in six months. Thought it was a fluke so haven't had it looked at. One minute, radio was on, the next minute, it just went silent. Screen was still on. Just no sound...
Old 05-15-2016, 08:12 AM

I have not notice any delay with changing stations with XM. Once I see the full screen after starting the car and my presets are showing, I can change stations with out delay.

Hope that made sense.
Old 05-16-2016, 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by robtroxel
That's kinda what I am thinking. Were you able to get a "deal" on the travel/traffic/weather part of XM? I may go that route for next year. Thanks!
I didn't have time to diddle around, so grabbed three years of travel/traffic/weather for $199. I use those, but never listen to talk radio or music. Of course I am almost never in the car alone.
Old 05-16-2016, 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by Max16SR
I had this exact thing happen once on my sr in six months. Thought it was a fluke so haven't had it looked at. One minute, radio was on, the next minute, it just went silent. Screen was still on. Just no sound...
Thanks for the responses. It seems @Max16SR has experienced this as well. It didn't happen any over the weekend, but I will bring it up to service. In regards to the delayed response...yes that is present on mine and very annoying! I've been an XM subscriber for over 10 years and this is the first car that does this. Sounds like it is present in all new Maximas so I assume it is a software programming issue. Maybe if enough folks complain they'll patch it. I guess it really isn't a big deal, just a nuisance.
Old 05-19-2016, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by mantnyh
I had this kind of issue, the culprit was a defective USB flash drive. After I unplugged it no more issues.
Old 05-20-2016, 05:28 AM

Thanks @vrajesh123! I do not have a flash drive, or any other device, connected via USB. Maybe it is my phone? I do have it connected via BT.
Old 04-20-2017, 03:46 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I know this is a year later, but I'm wondering if this got resolved. I am having the same issue (and I can't post my own thread yet).
Old 06-20-2017, 06:57 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I've had a similar issue several times. Suddenly the radio tuner will have no sound. I can switch to my iPod or SiriusXM and there is found, but FM and AM have no sound. The stations tune because I can see the song name, etc change but no sound. I have to restart the car the get the radio sound to work again. I'm almost to 36k so I should talk to my dealer about this soon I guess!
Old 06-20-2017, 07:43 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Michael Bishop
I've had a similar issue several times. Suddenly the radio tuner will have no sound. I can switch to my iPod or SiriusXM and there is found, but FM and AM have no sound. The stations tune because I can see the song name, etc change but no sound. I have to restart the car the get the radio sound to work again. I'm almost to 36k so I should talk to my dealer about this soon I guess!
Do you have anything plugged into a USB port? Unplug it and plug it back in, and see if that fixes it rather than restarting the car.
Old 06-20-2017, 07:57 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by jimmy mcgill
Do you have anything plugged into a USB port? Unplug it and plug it back in, and see if that fixes it rather than restarting the car.
I do have an iPod plugged in. I will try that next time. Thanks for the tip.
Old 01-18-2019, 11:49 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Radio Issues

Has anyone had any success with finding a solution to the radio issues? I have a 16' Maxima and my XM radio went all the way out - no signal and the sound goes out, have to turn the car off and on again to fix it, then the stations will change randomly on their own.
Old 01-19-2019, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by jenna233
Has anyone had any success with finding a solution to the radio issues? I have a 16' Maxima and my XM radio went all the way out - no signal and the sound goes out, have to turn the car off and on again to fix it, then the stations will change randomly on their own.
I'd go on EBAY and hunt up a newer control head with screen with XM. (A 2017 or 2018) will net you a working unit with more phone compatabilities as a bonus. The swap out is no big deal, plug and play, at any stereo shop, all for a lot less dough than having the dealer fix it. (assuming the basic warranty is expired)
Old 01-19-2019, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Max16SR
i had the same experience as Max16 on my 2018 Platinum. Sound just stopped while I was driving and listening. No sound from any source. Turned car off/on and all was back to normal. Has not happened again, so I forgot about it until now.
Old 01-19-2019, 01:51 PM

if you have a usb try using 3.1 watch size of usb this sometimes crash the radio have this issue with my kia.
and have it sometimes with My 2016 SR,
Old 01-20-2019, 05:38 AM

as I think i mentioned on another thread, on my 2016, this was a factor of which DOOR I opened upon entering the car.
Yes, I know it's odd.
But if I opened passenger door or rear door - and to less extent, trunk - I couldn't control radio.
Note that how I locked the car - key, door button - didn't matter.
Old 01-24-2019, 11:28 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hey Man by the Way how do you get the Radio ID (ESN or SID) from the '16 Max ?

i cannot find it at the chanel 0

thanks,
Old 05-12-2019, 09:56 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

The same thing just happened to me..Was listening to Sirus radio...then nothing..no FM< CD ...Hopefully it will reset tomorrow
Old 09-28-2019, 08:21 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Had the same issue happen to me yesterday on my new Maxima 2019. While gasing up the car (live in NJ. In NJ you are not allowed to pump your own gas), put the ignition in accessories and was listening to Sirius XM. When I started the car, initially the sound continued but as I drove off the gas station the sound went away. The volume indicator got stuck on 8. Volume **** as well as steering wheel **** wouldn't adjust the volume. Turned car off and on various times with no luck. Drove to the Nissan dealer, parked and turned off the car for about 5 minutes. When the service person came to check it, the volume worked again. Everything was normal. Then, last night I was listening to a CD and when I pulled the CD out the volume didn't go away but it got stuck. The volume wouldn't go higher or lower. I turned off the radio but when I depressed the audio button, the radio came back on. I parked the car for a couple of hours and when I came back, everything was working fine. I'm taking it to the dealer.

Last edited by Willie Richiez; 09-28-2019 at 08:22 AM. Reason: typo
Old 09-28-2019, 08:37 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Just found out that you can reboot your system by pressing and holding down the audio system power button for about 10 seconds until the Nissan logo appears, signifying that the reboot is underway. Hope this fixes my problem.
Old 09-29-2019, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by Willie Richiez
Had the same issue happen to me yesterday on my new Maxima 2019. While gasing up the car (live in NJ. In NJ you are not allowed to pump your own gas), put the ignition in accessories and was listening to Sirius XM. When I started the car, initially the sound continued but as I drove off the gas station the sound went away. The volume indicator got stuck on 8. Volume **** as well as steering wheel **** wouldn't adjust the volume. Turned car off and on various times with no luck. Drove to the Nissan dealer, parked and turned off the car for about 5 minutes. When the service person came to check it, the volume worked again. Everything was normal. Then, last night I was listening to a CD and when I pulled the CD out the volume didn't go away but it got stuck. The volume wouldn't go higher or lower. I turned off the radio but when I depressed the audio button, the radio came back on. I parked the car for a couple of hours and when I came back, everything was working fine. I'm taking it to the dealer.
Same thing here. Interesting that the many audio (sound) options including bose/fader/driver sound stage disappeared - only treble and bass showed on the page.
Something is up.
Note that after I had the software updated (by the dealer, not OTA/USB), it's been better. Not perfect.
Old 10-01-2019, 09:16 PM

I had my whole unit replaced at 300 miles due to it freezing up completely and my dash going dark except physical gauges.

edit: best thing to do is get a video of it. Dealer wanted to dance around but I had like 6 different videos of it.
Old 01-25-2020, 11:13 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I just bought my used Maxima 2017SL last week and the SD Card was missing. Dealer wants $330 for it so I found one that fits exactly to my radio SN on ebay for $40.
The sound works fine without SD Card but no XM, NAV or saving any settings. When I put the SD Card in, the sound disappears from all sources but everything else looks fine, NAV, I can see the station names and songs. If I take SD card out, sound comes back. So it looks some setting on the card kills it, probably XM radio.
Any ideas?
Old 01-25-2020, 11:20 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Willie Richiez
Just found out that you can reboot your system by pressing and holding down the audio system power button for about 10 seconds until the Nissan logo appears, signifying that the reboot is underway. Hope this fixes my problem.
Hi Willie!
Did it resolve your issues?
Old 01-26-2020, 05:12 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

No iPod plugged in. I got in the car yesterday to go to town and it did this same thing you described. It might be important to note that the head unit has just been replaced a week ago.
I was on SXM when it went out and efforts to get other sources to work failed even after turning off and on!
Head unit was replaced because the nav failed to function properly, it kept getting lost by saying I was at my destination before I got there or was taking me blocks and in some cases 1/4 mile away from intended destination. It would also reboot randomly while driving for no apparent reason.

I believe Nissan has their hands full with a very BIG & BAD batch of head units OR wire harnesses that are failing and possibly both.
as stated in another thread, the dealer is calling for Nissan engineering to determine the future of this vehicle.
Old 01-26-2020, 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by stargateit
I just bought my used Maxima 2017SL last week and the SD Card was missing. Dealer wants $330 for it so I found one that fits exactly to my radio SN on ebay for $40.
The sound works fine without SD Card but no XM, NAV or saving any settings. When I put the SD Card in, the sound disappears from all sources but everything else looks fine, NAV, I can see the station names and songs. If I take SD card out, sound comes back. So it looks some setting on the card kills it, probably XM radio.
Any ideas?
https://maxima.org/forums/8th-genera...rd-maxima.html