8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

2016/2017 Navigation in motion

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2017, 04:39 PM

2016/2017 Navigation in motion

****Edit*****
Nav in motion works - see below

I have searched and searched, for the navigation in motion hack for the Gen 8 Maxima.

It Appears (based on comparing the service manual of the 2016) that it is possible by comparing the hacks available for the Gen 7 and the 2015/2016 Roge, that you can simply but a toggle switch on wire 28 (brown) of the 40 pin connector on the back of the AV unit.

I have not been brave enough to try on my 2017, as the car has less than 300 miles on it, and I hate to void the warranty (this soon.)

I did the mod using a push button switch on my 2013 Max. It worked great, you simply pushed the button when you wanted to enter in nav information or phone information. Pushed the button again when you are done so the NAV starts working properly again. It works great for long trips when the wife is entering information.

So does anyone have a lead on this ? How about an interface harness that would allow me plug in-line to the factory harness. Trying to avoid cutting a factory harness.

Last edited by dentnshell; 04-15-2017 at 12:41 PM.
Old 03-15-2017, 12:45 PM

Navigation In-Motion Toggle

FWIW - It works!
I used the Gen7 video as inspiration and guidance.

Please note that following this guide is at your own risk. You assume all risk and neither myself nor maxima.org are liable for any damage to your self or vehicle.

I removed PIN 28 Brown
from the factory plug.

I then stripped and shoved some 22ga aluminum wire into the vacant hole. I zip tied the wire to the adjacent wires to keep in from coming out.

I then attached another wire(Gray) to the Brown factory terminal .

Taped it up and put everything back together.

Note that there are two Brown wires - the correct VSS wire is pin 28 or the 4th one over - Located between the blue and dark green.

I then mounted a toggle switch in the dash.

Navigation Toggle Switch

While driving if you need to enter Navigation information, simply flip the switch. make sure to flip it back when you are done, so the VSS information is correctly sent to NAV.

I removed the screen using information from Metra

Here is where I got information on the plug.
Techmate

Page 51 the terminal is a TH series. There is an animated graphic that shows the plug works!

Using this method I can revert the system back to factory if service is needed! The 3/16" hole is the only sign of a modification.

Tools needed.
Trim removal tools (could use a flat screwdriver)
Phillips to remove the 4 "silver" screws that hold the radio in place.
Needle to release the terminal wire from the 40 pin connector plug.
Electrical tape
Small zip tie
toggle switch - switch is used to complete / interrupt a circuit (VSS ground pulse)
Old 07-17-2022, 01:22 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Could anyone confirm that they also used this method? No disrespect intended, just appreciate confirmation. Lol.
Old 07-17-2022, 06:46 AM

No disrespect taken.

In all honesty I really thought this wold have more traction after I posted it. I have found that the Maxima group is not the most DIY inclined group. While I no longer have the car, I ran it that way for about 80,000 miles. 3 different road trips to Disney. We utilized the switch a lot, with no issues.
I did not reverse it before I traded the car in... I am sure someone out there has a car and wonders what the heck that switch does!

But I turned around and did a similar mod on my Toyota.