8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

Slight Hesitation

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2017, 07:51 PM

Slight Hesitation

Have a new Max SL with 4,200 miles. Sweet machine but I've noticed a slight hesitation just after backing down my driveway, stopping, then depressing the gas pedal to move forward. Happens whether cold or hot engine. Its as if, for a millisecond, the gas pedal is not sending a "Go" signal to the computer. I assume this is a wireless accelerator like my Altima.

If I drop the shift lever into drive about 5 ft. before coming to a complete stop, then apply light gas pedal to move forward there is no hesitation.

Anyone else notice this problem? Can one of you check this out the next time you get a chance, and let me know what you find with your Max? I'm scheduled for my first 5k check up and I don't want to necessarily buy-into the possible dealer service comment, "Oh they all do that".

Thanks
Old 05-14-2017, 08:03 AM

Cool

Two duplicate threads on this issue:

https://maxima.org/forums/8th-genera...-judder-2.html

https://maxima.org/forums/8th-genera...ml#post9136379

Fix is tranny Valve Body Plate needs to be changed out. All they have to do is take a drive in the Car with the diagnostic computer attached (that's what they did with my car), and they'll see the error code. My dealer changed it and the problem is fixed since (I have close to 30K on the car now).
Old 05-14-2017, 08:42 AM

I believe there might be a statement something like this in the owners manual "Shifting gears prior to the vehicle coming to a complete stop can harm the transmission". Not worth it to gain a millisecond of time.
Old 05-14-2017, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by Richard66
I believe there might be a statement something like this in the owners manual "Shifting gears prior to the vehicle coming to a complete stop can harm the transmission". Not worth it to gain a millisecond of time.
Yeah I know, but I tried it a few times to see if the situation would change. Don't know why I did what I did but it eliminated the problem the few times I did that. Reverse speed couldn't have been more than 1 or 2 mph because I had braked almost to a stop. No more tests like that. I'll let the dealer "deal" with it.
Old 05-15-2017, 09:47 AM

Mine does it too. Thought it was just because I was on a slight hill.
Old 05-15-2017, 10:54 AM

It's probably built into the programing, so most people that are too fast to get it into gear don't "hurt it". I think what you are doing won't hurt much (shifting early before stopping) just time it right, and things will go smooth. Get you off to work a millisecond earlier! (I do this on my car, not a MAX, but it has a similar pause.)
Old 05-16-2017, 04:59 PM

Don't forget, this is a CVT, so no real physical gears are engaged at any speed. So you will never have that direct connection you want to feel (as the CVT logic tries to figure out what your next move is). You would need a Q50 for that.
Old 05-16-2017, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by me9798
Don't forget, this is a CVT, so no real physical gears are engaged at any speed. So you will never have that direct connection you want to feel (as the CVT logic tries to figure out what your next move is). You would need a Q50 for that.
me9798,

Thank you, and to others, who have answered. I know how CVT's drive. I've owned an Altima for 10 years and that CVT did not exhibit the reverse-to-drive lag.
Old 05-17-2017, 04:17 AM

My 17 does it as well... my 2013 did not.