8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

2016 Maxima Platinum CVT JUDDER/

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 06:25 AM

Is the CVT judder the same as reported for the Pathfinder and V6 Altima?
Old 11-16-2015, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by stodge
Is the CVT judder the same as reported for the Pathfinder and V6 Altima?
Very similar to the Altima problem, but the condition did not leave a service code. Happened most often at low RPMs, 15-20 mph with light to moderate acceleration. Felt by everyone in the car when it occurred. Nissans first line of defense for the Altima was .... No problem, can't replicate, operating as designed, haven't heard of such a problem, etc. That slowly changed as occurrences piled up and they had to acknowledge a problem existed. Then began many torque converter (redesigned) or cvt replacements.
Old 11-17-2015, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by NewReligion
Regardless...The work completed on my 2016 Maxima allows for a smooth transition, so far. I notice no "unlocking". Not splitting hairs, just saying nothing annoying about the function now. I have owned 4 Maxima's, several Euro manuals and auto's in addition to countless other models to include Muscle cars with 4 speed and turbo 400 transmisions etc... in my 51 years. Never felt the Jake Brake effect or unlocking.
Oh it's there, you just might interpret it as something else.
Old 11-19-2015, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by R1600Turbo
Oh it's there, you just might interpret it as something else.
Mechanically I understand this. It is a very smooth interpretation.

I received an email request from Consumer Affairs today asking me for my opinion on the service. I will address this tomorrow.

Last edited by NewReligion; 11-19-2015 at 04:33 PM.
Old 12-21-2015, 04:05 PM

I finally took mine to the dealer. They ran a diagnostic and determined that they need to replace the valve body. There apparently is a bulletin out with directions on what to do, depending on the diagnostic codes. I hope this resolves the judder.
Old 12-31-2015, 08:01 PM

Valve body replaced

Add me to the list. From day 1 I noticed the odd shudder during deceleration. It was most noticeable on downgrades and at slow speeds, like in residential areas. The tech said that he found error codes and that the chain hadn't been damaged. This suggests that ignoring the issue could lead to serious damage.
So far it feels like I would expect. I'm curious to see if this will have a positive impact on the impressive fuel mileage I have enjoyed.
Old 01-01-2016, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Dano2016
Add me to the list. From day 1 I noticed the odd shudder during deceleration. It was most noticeable on downgrades and at slow speeds, like in residential areas. The tech said that he found error codes and that the chain hadn't been damaged. This suggests that ignoring the issue could lead to serious damage.
So far it feels like I would expect. I'm curious to see if this will have a positive impact on the impressive fuel mileage I have enjoyed.
What did they do to try to resolve the problem?
Old 01-01-2016, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by Max2013
What did they do to try to resolve the problem?
Sorry, they replaced the valve body.
Old 01-01-2016, 10:47 PM

since my initial experience with the shudder the car seemed to have smoothed out and hasn't done it again. It's been road tripped a couple of times and has over 3k miles on it now. The engine feels broken in now and stronger and I haven't noticed any further transmission issues. I want to say mine felt like the computer was trying to learn and just had 1 rough spot to figure out, 20 mph uphill at 1k rpm. All is well now..(knocks on wood)
Old 02-23-2016, 06:44 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by bottomline2000
I've noticed a shudder on my platinum..i've been able to replicate it by holding the rpms around 1k and maintaining roughtly 20mph going uphill...perfect school zone scenario..it seems the transmission is trying to lug the car and it shudders. if I am more aggressive with the throttle it doesn't happen, but if I repeat the above example it seems hard to accelerate out of it once it starts. I got the car with 69 miles on it and I put a few on it test driving it so it hasn't been abused. it's got 700 on it now, but I will see if it continues. I really enjoy the car and won't let this get me down..its been great otherwise. its going in for final option parts to be added so i'll have them check it for codes..
Sounds to me, you have the same problem I have. Bought my 2016 Maxima Platinum about a month ago. After 700 miles I noticed a judder in the transmission when I was going about 25 mph. The RPM’s would jump from 1000 to about 1300 and then drop back down to 1000. This would happen constattley. Took it in to the dealer and they found a code. Hade to get the valve body assembley replaced. Took about a week and a half. Went to pick up vehicle, just to drive it around the block and find out that the same problem still existed. Dropped it of that instant and it has been in the shop ever since. Supposed to be able to pick it up today, but I am not holding my breath. It has been in the shop longer than I own it.
Old 02-23-2016, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by TN79938
Sounds to me, you have the same problem I have. Bought my 2016 Maxima Platinum about a month ago. After 700 miles I noticed a judder in the transmission when I was going about 25 mph. The RPM’s would jump from 1000 to about 1300 and then drop back down to 1000. This would happen constattley. Took it in to the dealer and they found a code. Hade to get the valve body assembley replaced. Took about a week and a half. Went to pick up vehicle, just to drive it around the block and find out that the same problem still existed. Dropped it of that instant and it has been in the shop ever since. Supposed to be able to pick it up today, but I am not holding my breath. It has been in the shop longer than I own it.
Did your car shake when the rpm jumped around? I had the judder and had the valve body replaced. The shaking went away but now I randomly noticed times when the rpm keeps dropping and rising while my foot isn't on the gas. It doesn't shake the car, but it didn't do this rpm bouncing before I had the valve body replaced.
Old 02-23-2016, 07:53 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Max16SR
Did your car shake when the rpm jumped around? I had the judder and had the valve body replaced. The shaking went away but now I randomly noticed times when the rpm keeps dropping and rising while my foot isn't on the gas. It doesn't shake the car, but it didn't do this rpm bouncing before I had the valve body replaced.
I can’t say that my car shock. The problem I had was the constant rpm jump. It was very noticeable when you were driving at about 25 mph. The car would constantly jerk and the rpm’s would jump from 1000 rpm to about 1300 rpm and back. You could not hold a specific speed. Very annoying. I would have the shop hook your vehicle to the computer and see if they get a code. Sounds to me that you might have had more than one problem.
Old 02-23-2016, 08:59 AM

I can’t say that my car shock. The problem I had was the constant rpm jump. It was very noticeable when you were driving at about 25 mph. The car would constantly jerk and the rpm’s would jump from 1000 rpm to about 1300 rpm and back. You could not hold a specific speed. Very annoying. I would have the shop hook your vehicle to the computer and see if they get a code. Sounds to me that you might have had more than one problem.
Thanks, this helps. My issue seems to be with the torque converter catching and releasing. It happens when I let off the gas sometimes, but the car doesn't jerk. Sorry to hear that you got a new valve body and still have the jerking.
Old 03-03-2016, 09:31 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Question Ditto on the judder

I have read a lot of these posts (well, page 1) and it has nailed a lot of my issues. Even though I have had the problem for at least 1,500 miles, it took 2 trips to the Nissan garage to get anyone to believe me! Likely a) I am just a silly girl and 2) my car didn't throw a code until just today (thankfully the Nissan techs were online with the garage when it happened). My code is supposedly (I didn't see it) a P1751A. Funny, but I come up with zilch on a search for that code... Anyway, the code is CVT JUDDER (there has got to be more detail!). I read on here that there are 2 causes of the judder; one is a solenoid valve and the other means you need a brand new transmission. Well, supposedly mine is a 3rd code (trying to be trusting here) that involves the CVT belt. Anyone have any insight for me? Thanks in advance!

2016 Maxima Platinum
5,967 miles and in the garage

P.S. I do not have the torque converter issue that I know of.
Old 03-03-2016, 07:09 PM
Banned

SOme things never change, my 2004 shimmied its whole life in the wheel and 12 years later it judders...i wont even get into the ABS saga, cd player, power seat back/ lumbar I gave up on fixing after out of warrenty) Id never, ever ever ever own another nissan again, im sorry, I have more faith in Jaguar Land Rover, strange huh?
Old 03-04-2016, 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by 04BlackMaxx
SOme things never change, my 2004 shimmied its whole life in the wheel and 12 years later it judders...i wont even get into the ABS saga, cd player, power seat back/ lumbar I gave up on fixing after out of warrenty) Id never, ever ever ever own another nissan again, im sorry, I have more faith in Jaguar Land Rover, strange huh?
Sorry to hear of your bad experience. My 2004 SL gave no problems, and when I traded it in on my '09 7th gen, my dealer said it qualified as a 'cream puff' at trade-in, and gave me well over bluebook price for it. If my '04 had given me the problems yours did, I would have been an unhappy person.
Old 03-04-2016, 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by KCMax16
I have read a lot of these posts (well, page 1) and it has nailed a lot of my issues. Even though I have had the problem for at least 1,500 miles, it took 2 trips to the Nissan garage to get anyone to believe me! Likely a) I am just a silly girl and 2) my car didn't throw a code until just today (thankfully the Nissan techs were online with the garage when it happened). My code is supposedly (I didn't see it) a P1751A. Funny, but I come up with zilch on a search for that code... Anyway, the code is CVT JUDDER (there has got to be more detail!). I read on here that there are 2 causes of the judder; one is a solenoid valve and the other means you need a brand new transmission. Well, supposedly mine is a 3rd code (trying to be trusting here) that involves the CVT belt. Anyone have any insight for me? Thanks in advance!

2016 Maxima Platinum

I am from the very old school, in that I remember my Dad starting his early 1930s vehicles by standing in front on the front bumper and hand-cranking the engine to start it. By the time I began driving in the 1940s, cranks were long-gone. CVTs? These things are very complex by my standards. I don't recall anyone else here mentioning the code P1751A. Neither do I recall anyone mentioning the belt in this redesigned CVT. I suspect that dealerships may be somewhat limited in their ability to make major changes/fixes to these CVTs.

BUT

My 2016 Platinum CVT performs perfectly, even better than my 2009 Maxima CVT, and you paid good money for your Maxima and deserve for it to perform correctly, especially the first few years. Stick with your effort to get this resolved. Please keep us informed of any developments.
Old 03-08-2016, 02:10 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by KCMax16

2016 Maxima Platinum

I am sorry to hear that you are having these problems too. I posted earlier about my problems with my 2016 Maxima Platinum. Brand new and had to go to the shop twice to have the valve body assembly replaced. It has been in the shop longer than I actually owned the vehicle. After I picked it up from the shop it continued to still due the same judder. Took a test drive with the senior mechanic and duplicated the fault. He agreed that this judder should not be there. I am so disappointed in this vehicle. Had Nissan’s before and they were all great vehicles. I finally decided to get rid of my Maxima. Will not buy one again. Had too many problems.
Old 03-08-2016, 04:29 PM

I am sorry to hear that you are having these problems too. I posted earlier about my problems with my 2016 Maxima Platinum. Brand new and had to go to the shop twice to have the valve body assembly replaced. It has been in the shop longer than I actually owned the vehicle. After I picked it up from the shop it continued to still due the same judder. Took a test drive with the senior mechanic and duplicated the fault. He agreed that this judder should not be there. I am so disappointed in this vehicle. Had Nissan’s before and they were all great vehicles. I finally decided to get rid of my Maxima. Will not buy one again. Had too many problems.
This makes me very sad. I have owned nothing but Maximas since October 1984, and have loved every one of them. I have been driving since the 1940s, and never had cars nearly as reliable as my Maximas. I really hate that you were not given the opportunity to enjoy the fun and satisfaction most Maxima owners enjoy. I certainly understand why you felt the need to go another direction. I hope you have better luck with whatever brand you move to.
Old 01-17-2017, 07:50 PM

I purchased the 2016 Maxima SL December 2015. Recently noticed a hesitation/stutter when on the highway accelerating beyond 70mph. I first noticed the stutter as I was accelerating to 73-74mph. Initially, I thought maybe it was bad gas or something. Took the car in to the dealership for the ABS recall and mentioned to them about the stutter. Left the car overnight. The next day the dealership called and told me that the ABS recall was completed and that they found the "CVT Judder code" in the car's computer. The CVT code was resolved by replacing the valve-body. I thought it was odd that this code was in the computer and yet it did not trigger a warning light.

When the Service Mgr told me that they replaced the valve-body, I was surprised to have this issue with a year old car. While surprised, I was not new to the procedure. I replaced the solenoids on the mechatronic/transmission valve-body on my '05 BMW 545 in early 2015. I traded that car in for the new Maxima after owning it for 8yrs.

Hope this isn't a recurring issue.
Old 01-18-2017, 05:27 PM

Exclamation

There is a duplicate thread on this forum for this problem... I posted my experience at the link below. The car was diagnosed and repaired at 1500 miles. Now I have 23K miles on her and she is absolutely perfect. The repair took a day after the part came in (took a few days for the part to come in).

https://maxima.org/forums/8th-genera...ml#post9136379