8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

Changing to Spare Tire

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2017, 10:49 AM

Changing to Spare Tire

I have a noob question. So I am about to go on a trip from Phoenix, Az to Las Vegas. I was wondering in case I get a flat how would I go about removing my lug nuts if it has a key lock? I have never had a car before with rims or key locks so any advice would be awesome.
Old 07-10-2017, 02:30 PM

wheel locks

you should have a special socket that engages the lock pattern of the lug nuts. you put that on the lug wrench and proceed as usual. the socket should be either in the glove box or with the spare. find it before you leave because if you don't and need it you'll wind up having to get a tire shop to cut them off unless you can get to a nissan shop which might be able to get them off. either way a major hassle. it happened to me once. maybe someone else knows how to get them off more easily, but then that defeats the purpose of the locks.
Old 07-10-2017, 05:43 PM

As acamarillo said, the important thing is to be sure you have the lock socket with you, and where you can quickly find it. I do try to wrap/box/disguise and hide it so that thieves will not be able to simply break the glass, enter the car, easily find the lock socket and make off with wheels and tires. And he is right that not having the lock socket available can make things very difficult very quickly (yes, happened to me). Most Nissan shops can find a way to get these locks off without your socket key, but there may not always be a Nissan dealership close by.
Old 07-13-2017, 10:06 AM

Sorry for the delay in replying . But I believe this is it. Correct me if I am wrong.
Old 07-13-2017, 10:16 AM

You should take it out of the bag, marry it up with one of the locking lugs...then you can answer your own question. Also, considering you're level of car knowledge, make sure you have road side assistance in all the states you are going to be traveling.
Old 07-13-2017, 10:27 AM

I definitely will along with a pair of jumper cables and small air compressor. Yeah I have Geico so I am set for AZ and Nevada.
Old 07-13-2017, 11:27 AM

And be aware that temps in that area are abnormally high this summer, with wildfires running rampant and closing some roads. My son and his daughter just spent three weeks visiting the national parks of the west, and sent us several pics of their dash showing temps between 120 and 124 degrees. ALWAYS have drinking water with you.
Old 07-13-2017, 11:30 AM

You are so right. I am going to have a small ice chest filled with drinking water. And separate water for the car if needed. I appreciate all of your support it really does help having a close caring community like this.