8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

Sport display

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2017, 12:07 PM

Sport display

Tried putting up this display today. It is supposed to show oil pressure on the left of the digital speed number and I think water temperature on the right.
Water temp isnt showing anything. What should I check?
Old 10-08-2017, 12:31 PM

Did a system reset and now it works. Gremlins
Old 10-08-2017, 01:00 PM

The gauge on the left is fake oil pressure. The gauge on the right is transmission fluid temperature. Just silly. Would rather have battery voltage. Both of the "sport" readings shown is a joke. Notice the oil pressure does not fluctuate, even at hot idle? Notice how the fluid temp takes 5 miles of interstate driving to even show? Fake news.

Oh, and your water temperature is analog and is down in the lower left-hand corner of your instrument cluster.

BTW where can we find the battery voltage anyway? A "sports car" should have this reading.
Old 10-08-2017, 01:14 PM

Thanks. This is a confusing car as far as knowing everything about the display. But I am slowly learning
Old 10-08-2017, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Thunderjet
Thanks. This is a confusing car as far as knowing everything about the display. But I am slowly learning
Might your Thunderjet name have anything to do with the USAF F-84 Thunderjet aircraft of Korea and Cold War fame? I'm into such things.
Old 10-08-2017, 03:42 PM

Nope, named myself after a brand of inboard jet boat I used to own.
Old 10-08-2017, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by compyelc4
Oh, and your water temperature is analog and is down in the lower left-hand corner of your instrument cluster.
Could you be so kind as to post a photo of the analog reading?
Old 10-08-2017, 04:21 PM

Could you be so kind as to post a photo of the analog reading?
https://maxima.org/forums/8th-genera...ng-system.html
Old 10-08-2017, 04:29 PM

If you guys need all the reading from a ecu to monitor get a bully dog gt.
Old 10-08-2017, 04:47 PM

I am confused. By analog I thought it meant there were numbers on the gauge showing what the coolant temperature was. Such as 190, 195, etc.
Old 10-08-2017, 05:18 PM

I am confused. By analog I thought it meant there were numbers on the gauge showing what the coolant temperature was. Such as 190, 195, etc.
I don't mean to cut in here, but I think 'analog' means sort of a bar graph or circular graph (like a dial face clock), while digital means actual reading is displayed in characters/numbers.
Old 11-09-2017, 02:43 PM

Is there anyway to customize display to show speed limit and current speed digitally. Ever since I bought it I have it the sport mode display with current speed right in the middle. I know there’s a menu to show speed limits but I kinda got used to the sport gauge and don’t really look at the analog.
Old 11-09-2017, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
I don't mean to cut in here, but I think 'analog' means sort of a bar graph or circular graph (like a dial face clock), while digital means actual reading is displayed in characters/numbers.
Incorrect. Think of an analog gauge like your dialed tach or dialed speedometer, or dialed water temperature gauge. There are no bars or graphs unless they are somehow mechanical in nature. In short an electric current is energizing a coil which moves a sweep hand/needle, just like a mechanical wristwatch. Digital refers to gauges such as we see on Sport Mode screen. The oil pressure and transmission fluid readings are made by electric current which lights successively more LED or LCD "units", like the bar graph you referred to.

In short, Analog = electro-mechanical and Digital = electro luminescent. So that Water Temp gauge in the lower left corner of the screen is Analog because current moves a sweep hand/needle.

Last edited by compyelc4; 11-09-2017 at 10:07 PM.
Old 11-09-2017, 09:07 PM

i thought analog is something that is mechanical: switches, springs, levers, bells and whistles. and digital is electonic pcbs, computer calculations, and processors. i need google!!!
Old 11-09-2017, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by BlakMaxiJoey
i thought analog is something that is mechanical: switches, springs, levers, bells and whistles. and digital is electonic pcbs, computer calculations, and processors. i need google!!!
YOU are actually correct. See my post just north of yours'.
Old 11-10-2017, 07:02 AM

The gauge on the left is fake oil pressure. The gauge on the right is transmission fluid temperature. Just silly. Would rather have battery voltage. Both of the "sport" readings shown is a joke. Notice the oil pressure does not fluctuate, even at hot idle? Notice how the fluid temp takes 5 miles of interstate driving to even show? Fake news.

BTW where can we find the battery voltage anyway? A "sports car" should have this reading.
I always thought it was oil level not temp as it never moves.
Old 11-10-2017, 01:19 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by NisCal17
Is there anyway to customize display to show speed limit and current speed digitally. Ever since I bought it I have it the sport mode display with current speed right in the middle. I know there’s a menu to show speed limits but I kinda got used to the sport gauge and don’t really look at the analog.
you have to be on the navigation screen meter to see the speed limit (on most roads). If you want to leave it in sport you could have the Navi screen up on the radio to show the speed limit
Old 11-11-2017, 01:43 AM

YOU are actually correct. See my post just north of yours'.
ok, cool. i got confused a bit there. haha
Old 11-11-2017, 06:35 AM

Every gauge, including speed and tach are digital in this car, the dial gauges just look analog. The water temp gauge in particular is not accurate, it holds the exact same position when the car is warm, even though water temperature does fluctuate quite a bit during normal driving. It's no better than a dummy light. Of course this is true of basically all cars these days. Using an OBD device can allow monitoring of actual values, such as water temp, oil pressure, throttle position, battery voltage, etc. The ECU monitors these things, it just doesn't tell the driver.