8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

CarPlay Modd: Use Any App

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2018, 07:41 PM

CarPlay Modd: Use Any App

Hey guys,

I've been messing around with the apple CarPlay and was able to get it to work and use ANY app on the iPhone. It's not perfect and DOES glitch out from time-to-time but overall I'm really impressed with what you can do with it.

What I currently have running on it
-Waze
-YouTube
-Safari
-Kodi
-Photos

How I got it to work:

I recently bought the iPhone X and still had my iPhone 6. So I jailbroke my iPhone 6 that was running 10.2. That was the biggest hurdle since you can't revert back to the older software. If you're interested in the modd, you're going to need to buy or have an iPhone that's running IOS 10. My suggestion, is check eBay or Craigslist. Once jailbroken, I downloaded NGXPlay. This allows you add whatever apps you want to CarPlay. Again, as of now, NGXPlay ONLY WORKS on IOS 10 so jailbreaking on IOS 11 is somewhat pointless for this modd. I downloaded Kodi, Waze, and YouTube. If you're like me you'll probably want the jailbroken YouTube app so you can download video content off youtube and have it so you won't always be streaming. Other than that, I enabled my iPhone X as a hotspot and connected my iPhone 6 to it's wifi. Considering it's a jailbroken iPhone it does tend to glitch out here and there but for the most part it's amazing.

I'm going to put together a video on how I did everything but long story short, Your stock Navigation screen acts as a monitor and can play all the content. It's also completely interactive so you can touch your screen and navigate through all the apps. I'm not encouraging you guys to drive while watching videos but it's a great addition to the car. It also doesn't mess with the stock navigation at all so it's perfect for people who want to do this modd but have a lease.
Old 01-08-2018, 05:34 PM

I'm an android guy, so don't think I'll be doing that anytime soon. but it be cool to see some video of some video on the infotainment screen if you got it.
Old 01-08-2018, 05:46 PM

There is enough distraction when driving, I cannot imagine needing Kodi or youtube, etc.

Your car is gorgeous, though
Old 01-09-2018, 07:02 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Looking forward to this instructional video!
Old 01-22-2018, 05:14 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Subbed for install vid
Old 01-22-2018, 05:42 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Found a new tweak that is called CarBridge, it is much better than NGXPlay.

Checkout this video:

You can find out more here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/TweakBounty...pp_in_carplay/
Old 01-23-2018, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by chasescott66
Found a new tweak that is called CarBridge, it is much better than NGXPlay.

Checkout this video: https://youtu.be/HvWL8oRt1nE

You can find out more here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/TweakBounty...pp_in_carplay/
great find! Let me look into this... maybe I'll hold off on my video and just make a video for both methods. From what I've read so far it seems like its an additional add-on to NGXplay (which only works currently with IOS 10).
Old 01-23-2018, 06:57 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by thealliance43
great find! Let me look into this... maybe I'll hold off on my video and just make a video for both methods. From what I've read so far it seems like its an additional add-on to NGXplay (which only works currently with IOS 10).
It's actually its own tweak that you can install. Since it is still in a beta, the developer is asking for a small donation before you download it, but it is totally worth. I used NGXPlay for a few days before stumbling on this. CarBridge is WAY better and way more stable than NGXPlay, I recommend trying this out. As you said, it is currently only compatible with iOS 10, but will be updated as soon as Cydia is updated for iOS 11.

Check it out and let me know what you think. I think you will love it!
Old 01-29-2018, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by chasescott66
It's actually its own tweak that you can install. Since it is still in a beta, the developer is asking for a small donation before you download it, but it is totally worth. I used NGXPlay for a few days before stumbling on this. CarBridge is WAY better and way more stable than NGXPlay, I recommend trying this out. As you said, it is currently only compatible with iOS 10, but will be updated as soon as Cydia is updated for iOS 11.

Check it out and let me know what you think. I think you will love it!
Impressive, it's just like you said. Way better than NGXPlay. Thanks for letting me know about it!
Old 01-29-2018, 08:39 AM

Hey guys,

Here's a tutorial I put together on CarBridge

Old 01-31-2018, 10:03 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hey guys,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NkCannzNRU
Wow!! Sick dude!! Thanks for sharing! Definitely gonna do this
Old 02-01-2018, 09:47 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hey guys,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NkCannzNRU
I don't know how to jailbreak my iPhone..is there a way u know? I can't find anything that works :-(
Old 04-29-2018, 01:04 PM

FYI developer leftyfl1p has updated Carbridge to support iOS 11 (11.1.2 and below) for jailbroken devices. It is an excellent tweak, when used appropriately.

Old 04-30-2018, 09:42 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hello I am looking for someone that has the SD card to a stock 2017 Maxima with apple car play or Android auto. I really just want the files off it but if you are no longer using it and would send it to me that would be great. Any help is appreciated.
Thank you!
Old 01-12-2020, 11:22 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

It seems to me that there are too many difficult decisions. I have one big screen phone specifically to give it to my son for a long trip. I installed ShowBox to download movies and this is enough to sit quietly for a couple of hours. I do not see much need to look for the possibility of flashing other equipment.
Old 09-17-2020, 02:13 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

My Auto Stereo is powered by Android. Therefore, I downloaded myself YouTube, ShowBox, Cinema HD, BeeTV. Now when I'm bored, I can always watch movies and TV shows!