8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

SD card for maxima

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2018, 09:41 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

SD card for maxima

We just bought a slightly used 2016 maxima and the paper work said missing SD card. I did not make a big stink as I thought it was to be used as a source for music. What exactly is it for?
I am reading about nav maps and stuff but it must also back up all the settings and contacts for the phone, kind of like a computers hard drive?
We can set the phone up and radio stations but as soon as we turn car off we lose everything so that must be related to not having the SD card?
Excuse ignorance... first new car in while. Also if I can get a new official nissan card , is it difficult to set up myself or should the dealer do it?
Thanks in advance, Don M
Old 01-15-2018, 10:15 AM

Can't imagine why someone would take the SD card out?? It's mostly for NAV as near as I can tell.

You can order from http://nissan.navigation.com/home/en...E&gclsrc=aw.ds, but I'm not sure about installation, as installing a new card involves inserting/removing both the new card and the old card several times.

You will need to give them your VIN when ordering.
Old 01-15-2018, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by dmid94
We just bought a slightly used 2016 maxima and the paper work said missing SD card.

Thanks in advance, Don M
Is that similar to slightly pregnant?

The 2016 Nissan Connect with Navigation Owner's Manual page 6-65 and 6-66 explain the SD card.

This booklet should have been included in the Owners Manual packet in your glovebox.

You can download a new...not slightly used...manual here.

https://owners.nissanusa.com/nowners...n/manualsGuide
Old 01-16-2018, 08:21 AM

hahahaha too funny
Old 01-16-2018, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by RickSmith
The 2016 Nissan Connect with Navigation Owner's Manual page 6-65 and 6-66 explain the SD card.
What it DOESN'T describe is why Nissan factory parts sends dealers blank/corrupt cards - repeatedly - without any instructions or warning.

This is an infuriating disaster.
Old 01-17-2018, 02:41 PM

dmid94 - This is sort of a touchy area that, as lindros2 hints, has gone well for many folks here, but has resulted in great consternation for almost as many others. I feel ignorant in this area. I did have my nav maps/info updated, and my dealer tech said it required inserting and removing both old and new SD cards several times, and it took him well over an hour. The critical step is in insuring that the battery power is not interrupted during the procedure. But a few astute posters here have done this in much less time. Maybe one of them will pipe in here and help with this poorly designed area of this otherwise enjoyable 8th gen Maxima.
Old 01-25-2018, 03:10 AM

when i bought mine it didnt have an SD card so i ask and they said that thieves tend to steal them to sell because it was easy access. dont buy one on ebay because i have tried 3 times and failed.i called the dealership parts store and provided my vin and got the corrected SD card.
Old 01-25-2018, 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
dmid94 - This is sort of a touchy area that, as lindros2 hints, has gone well for many folks here, but has resulted in great consternation for almost as many others. I feel ignorant in this area. I did have my nav maps/info updated, and my dealer tech said it required inserting and removing both old and new SD cards several times, and it took him well over an hour. The critical step is in insuring that the battery power is not interrupted during the procedure. But a few astute posters here have done this in much less time. Maybe one of them will pipe in here and help with this poorly designed area of this otherwise enjoyable 8th gen Maxima.
What happens if you don’t have the old SD card (as per the other post/missing card)?
Old 01-25-2018, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by lindros2
What happens if you don’t have the old SD card (as per the other post/missing card)?
If I was in that situation, I would head to the dealer and have him get an official SD card that is correct for the VIN number in my vehicle. I would be afraid that approaching this in any other way could result in paying good money for something that would not work in my car, as some here have already done. I would not even consider buying an SD card on EBAY or Craig's List or any such source, because it almost surely would not work in my car.
Old 05-23-2019, 09:06 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Missin SD MAP card on 2018 Nissan Maxima SL

I bought a 2018 Nissan Maxima SL and noticed the Navigation was not working. Bluetooth setting would not save; clock time would revert to PST time every time I started the car. I noticed the SD MAP card was missing. Many features were disabled (SXM, Apple Car play etc.)

I went to the dealer and ordered a “NEW” SD MAP card using my VIN number, part number for mine was 25920-9DE0A, and they are different part numbers based on MFG date. The list price was $161 but the deal matched my on line NISSAN price match $120.00

Follow this procedure with “New” card for your vehicle
  1. Ignition off – insert new MAP SD Card into the NAV slot
  2. With parking brake on start the engine
  3. The update will start you should see something like – “The audio firmware is now being updated”
  4. It will take about 15 minutes to complete ( keep car running do not turn it off)
  5. When the update completes you should see: “Update Successful, please restart the system by turning vehicle OFF and then back ON
  6. Push ignition OFF
  7. Start the engine and let the NAV unit boot
Old 05-27-2019, 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by Reynaldo Diaz
I bought a 2018 Nissan Maxima SL and noticed the Navigation was not working. Bluetooth setting would not save; clock time would revert to PST time every time I started the car. I noticed the SD MAP card was missing. Many features were disabled (SXM, Apple Car play etc.)

I went to the dealer and ordered a “NEW” SD MAP card using my VIN number, part number for mine was 25920-9DE0A, and they are different part numbers based on MFG date. The list price was $161 but the deal matched my on line NISSAN price match $120.00

3. The update will start you should see something like – “The audio firmware is now being updated”
  4. It will take about 15 minutes to complete ( keep car running do not turn it off)
  5. When the update completes you should see: “Update Successful, please restart the system by turning vehicle OFF and then back ON
  6. Push ignition OFF
Well said! Thanks for sharing the latest on how you fixed this seemingly getting more common issue. Nissan evidentlly agrees as they have redone the system for 2019 and is no longer base on this easily removed memory card.
Old 01-21-2020, 11:09 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

2018 Nissan Maxima SV Map SD card issues

I bought 2018 Nissan Maxima SV, noticed later no SD map card. I went to the dealer and was told I had to take the stereo out so I did and took photos. Went back and the dealer gave the the SD map card part number listed in the photo. I ordered the card offline and when it came in and I put the card in I got an active key message, then after about 20 seconds it goes to the error message shown. Can anyone help with this?

Old 01-22-2020, 06:05 AM

I’ve read too much about problems with slightly used SD cards from eBay. I suspect that a used card is expecting the radio code of the radio it once was mated with.

When I got screwed like this (also bought former rental which had card removed for some inexplicable reason) the dealer part guy used VIN to get a new and correct card. 10 minutes at his counter, 5 minutes to pay. Had to pick it up next day as it was at warehouse. 15 minutes to install. Bliss ever since.

I can’t understand why your dealer couldn’t do the same...

Last edited by BrianShaw; 01-22-2020 at 06:07 AM.
Old 01-22-2020, 10:29 AM

So the dealer is making YOU fix this? There's no way I would stand for that. Not sure if it's the same in Canada, but in the US I believe you have 2 or 3 days to the return the car for any reason. I would definitely threaten them with that option first. If not, then start contacting anyone you can (GM, owner, whomever) to let them know you will be sharing their poor business practices all over social media. That should do it. The dealer I bought my car from immediately pulls the SD cards from all of their vehicles and doesn't release them to the new owner until the paperwork is finished, that's the best way to prevent them from coming up missing.
Old 01-22-2020, 12:18 PM

In my case I noticed before the sale was finalized, and made it clear to sales manager that I’d cancel the deal if they didn’t pay for replacement. Then I made him write it in the sales contract. I was pleasantly surprised when my dealer called them for a credit card number and it all worked out easily.
Old 01-26-2020, 09:39 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Price for SD CArd

Originally Posted by Reynaldo Diaz

6. Push ignition OFF
Would you share the link where did you find the SD Card online from official Nissan.
My dealer in Pnoenix, AZ gives me the price of $330 and I can't find anything cheaper online, only on Amazon.
Old 01-26-2020, 09:58 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

What I done was just googled the part number.
Make sure when you order it they have a return policy.
Old 01-26-2020, 10:23 AM

My dealer price was about $125. Last year.
Old 01-28-2020, 12:58 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Lucky. Now prices online are $240 and dealer $330!
Crazy. Not sure what happened.
Old 02-06-2020, 06:43 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by stargateit
Lucky. Now prices online are $240 and dealer $330!
Crazy. Not sure what happened.
My car came without one and the dealer said $398.
I'm going to a different dealer. I called one and they tolde to buy the updated card for $150 but I read somewhere that it wouldn't work without the original.
It's lame that they keep the card slot on the dash
Old 04-09-2020, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by wazikan
My car came without one and the dealer said $398.
I'm going to a different dealer. I called one and they tolde to buy the updated card for $150 but I read somewhere that it wouldn't work without the original.
It's lame that they keep the card slot on the dash
What I find lame is they treat this like some kind of software that can be easily stolen and used in cars world wide that do not have infotainment systems with the proper capabilities. AFAIK its pretty specific to the car and the license should be tied to the vehicles VIN. If the car was built and sold with nav the software should be freely available to us. They are not using some proprietary SDHC card, interface or programming language. They made it difficult out of ignorance in how it could be done or its just to make more money. I see no other logical reasoning behind it.

My dealer wants $368 for it. I ordered a $15 SDHC card and will be trying a few things. I can get my hands on a Nissan issued card and will do some poking around.
Old 04-09-2020, 01:09 PM

Good luck with your $15.00 SDHC card. Let us know how that works out.
Old 04-09-2020, 01:16 PM

https://nissan.navigation.com/produc...S/NissanNA/USD

SD Navigation card from Nissan $129.00
Old 04-09-2020, 01:48 PM

The SD card from my dealer was the about same as the online price. Why are some dealers selling for almost $400? Something wrong with that story...
Old 04-09-2020, 02:17 PM

Its a money grab. The research I've done so far points to the cards being coded to the nav units ID and the cards unique identifier. Going to dig a little deeper to see how that info is stored. The file system itself does not appear to be encrypted.

Thinking I will order a card from Nissan using the link that Rick posted above and playing around with it. At this point its more about figuring out how it all works.
Old 05-05-2020, 11:00 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

The dealership told me today it would $350 for the se card