8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

Stock Goodyear tire wear

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2018, 04:31 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Stock Goodyear tire wear

Hey guys!! Pretty new to the site, but after reading many threads(which I might've missed one that have answered my question), but I have a 2016 Maxima SR, and am having abnormal wear on my tires, mostly on the outer part of the tires. Alignment and everything has been checked by dealer, but the tires are pretty badly worn on the outside with the inner portion still looking like it has plenty of meat on them, anyone else having these issues?? I have 34000 miles on the car at the moment
Old 04-23-2018, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by RealNealMistry
Hey guys!! Pretty new to the site, but after reading many threads(which I might've missed one that have answered my question), but I have a 2016 Maxima SR, and am having abnormal wear on my tires, mostly on the outer part of the tires. Alignment and everything has been checked by dealer, but the tires are pretty badly worn on the outside with the inner portion still looking like it has plenty of meat on them, anyone else having these issues?? I have 34000 miles on the car at the moment
If your alignment is absolutely to OEM specs and the dealer has ruled out tire defects I would revisit your driving style. How would you classify that: aggressive, moderate, or mild? You know where this is going. Also what is the treadwear rating of your tires. Are those GY's summer only or all season?
Old 04-23-2018, 06:26 PM
Dab

Wowwwwww,
I have the same thing!!! i am about to get new tires as well and i have wear in the same place. I can tell you its not your alignment. If you drive your SR like i do you drive it to its limits and drive it hard in the turns. Wear and tear will happen faster on the outside more then the middle. the tread wear is rated at 50,000 and i have 32,000 right now so im getting new tires next monday, i have chosen DUNLOP
SIGNATURE HP, dealership has a sale on tires right now buy 3 and get the third one free?
Old 04-24-2018, 08:53 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

same issue with OEM tires GYear, I have SR 20k miles. I read that this can be caused by under inflation also. 2 of my tires are really bad on the outside the other 2 seem better but catching up as I rotate more often. Probably leave the better 2 on front for another 10k before buying all 4.
Old 04-24-2018, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by Max242
same issue with OEM tires GYear, I have SR 20k miles. I read that this can be caused by under inflation also. 2 of my tires are really bad on the outside the other 2 seem better but catching up as I rotate more often. Probably leave the better 2 on front for another 10k before buying all 4.
My experience tells me that underinflation leads to accelerated wear on both inside and outside of that tire, to the same degree. A cross-section view of your underinflated tires would make them look like the letter "W".
Old 04-25-2018, 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by compyelc4
My experience tells me that underinflation leads to accelerated wear on both inside and outside of that tire, to the same degree. A cross-section view of your underinflated tires would make them look like the letter "W".
Yes, underinflation (a pet peeve of mine for most of my driving life) tends to wear the tread-face edges on both sides (as well as weaken the tire's sidewalls). And overinflation wears the tread out in the middle.

Wearing out faster on the outer edges is usually a symptom of aggressive driving and/or lots of turning, whether while moving fast or slow. I measure my tread depth in each groove across the face of the tread every three months (yes, I am ****), and after a few months of roaming through residential neighborhoods at speeds between 20 and 25 MPH (checking real estate), the wear on the outer edges is slightly greater than wear on the inner edges. I have noticed this on my wife's trucks also, even though she has never been an aggressive driver. She and I both make lots of turns because we live near the center of town, and most of our trips are just lots of turns at slow speed.
Old 04-25-2018, 01:11 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I'm a new owner (2016 SR) and I noticed the exact same wear pattern on my tires. Outside wear is greater than the rest. The car has 33k miles on it.
Old 04-30-2018, 06:06 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Same thing here, 2016 SR with 25k miles and the tires are gone on the outer and inner edges. I suspect the stock tires are s**t as i don't drive with any more or less spirit than any other prior car and never had that much wear that quickly.
Old 04-30-2018, 08:15 PM

I haven't had a problem with my 2017 SR. I have over 27K and tire wear is actually pretty minimal, I think I had 7/32" left at my service last week. Given the current condition it seems I'll get 50K easy. They have been rotated at each 5K service as part of my service plan. Of course I drive mostly highway and on flat, straight roads, so that might be helping me also.