8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

Radar Detector Hardwired

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2018, 11:45 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Radar Detector Hardwired

Hi Everyone,

Just recently moved and now my lovely boston commute is mostly highway (about 30 minutes). I am in the market for a radar detector and i found one that I like.

I would rather hard wire into the fuse box rather than having the power cord dangle from the windshield to the center console for power.

Does anyone have any pics of their install? Also wondering which fuse is a good one to tap into.

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-25-2018, 12:05 PM

Check the thread below. I believe they tapped into the mirror.

https://maxima.org/forums/8th-genera...radar+detector
Old 04-26-2018, 09:01 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

PapaDroid, thank you!

I am not looking to tap into the mirror though unfortunately. Trying to run the wire from fuse fox along windshield pillar, to the top of the windshield, then come down where the mirror is.

I located the fuse box diagram when i popped the cover off, now i need to decide which one to tap into.

Any thoughts?
Old 06-02-2018, 03:46 PM

Pulled over twice this week so I think I need to invest in a radar detector...
Old 06-02-2018, 05:04 PM

Maybe instead of tapping into one of the existing wires at the junction block, why not try to make your own circuit? You know how the junction block has empty slots for unused fuses? Check the empty slots for power. If they have power, stick a fuse in it. Now look at the connectors on the back of the junction block and you should see some empty slots in those as well. Try to find an empty slot that now has power that didn't have power before and voila! You now have an empty slot in a connector that has power where it didn't before. Put a pin on it and you've got factory wiring! I've never tried this but it seems possible.

...OR...

There is an accessory connector in the drivers and passengers side footwells that are specifically designed for tapping into for adding accessories such as illuminated kick panels, interior accent lighting, exterior entrance lighting, etc. This circuit is completely isolated from the rest of the important electronics in the vehicle.

Here are the installation instructions for the illuminated kick panel as an example/guide.
https://www.nissan-techinfo.com/asis.../U/S/1US28.PDF

Page 1 has the part number for the accessory service connector should you need to add it to your vehicle. If you currently do NOT have any port or dealer installed accessories, you WILL need this connector. It is the "male" side of the connector with about 7" of pigtail wires used for tapping. The female side of the connector is the one already wired into to your factory harness. However, if you already have some OEM accessories installed, your car should already have these pigtail connectors installed.

Page 11 shows you where to find the connector, and which pins are which.

Last edited by Kickinwing; 06-02-2018 at 05:25 PM.
Old 06-04-2018, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by annunz213
PapaDroid, thank you!

I am not looking to tap into the mirror though unfortunately. Trying to run the wire from fuse fox along windshield pillar, to the top of the windshield, then come down where the mirror is.

I located the fuse box diagram when i popped the cover off, now i need to decide which one to tap into.

Any thoughts?
If you don't mind me asking, why not tap into the wires behind the mirror? Easiest thing you'll ever do. I mounted my V1 up there and works/looks great.
Old 06-04-2018, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by Ambivalent
Pulled over twice this week so I think I need to invest in a radar detector...
Or, you know...don't drive like a ****...but I guess that would be asking too much
Old 06-04-2018, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by jgilbs
Or, you know...don't drive like a ****...but I guess that would be asking too much
What a dumb thing to say for absolutely no reason, just carry on next time buddy
Old 02-05-2023, 06:58 PM

You can try this method

I have a gps speedometer installed which is similar in appearance of a radar detector. What voltage the radar requires for the unit you have ? If it is powered by micro USB or mini USB, you can try this method I put in my car. I also don't like hanging wires and get power from cig lighter so tapped a fuse from the fuse box. Made a video also included the link of the hard wires. Check this out.

Originally Posted by annunz213
Hi Everyone,

Just recently moved and now my lovely boston commute is mostly highway (about 30 minutes). I am in the market for a radar detector and i found one that I like.

I would rather hard wire into the fuse box rather than having the power cord dangle from the windshield to the center console for power.

Does anyone have any pics of their install? Also wondering which fuse is a good one to tap into.

Thanks in advance!