8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

CarPlay in iOS 12

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2018, 11:40 AM

CarPlay in iOS 12

Apple's WWDC is going on right now. And it was announced that CarPlay will support more third-party apps like Google Maps and Waze.

Pretty darn excited about iOS for the first time in a while!

https://www.engadget.com/2018/06/04/...upport-ios-12/
Old 06-04-2018, 12:44 PM

Holy crap!!!
Old 06-04-2018, 01:19 PM

I saw that! Super excited, now if only Carplay could integrate with the Maxima's driver display!
Old 06-04-2018, 05:31 PM

Yes - this is good news. I’ve had Waze on CarPlay for a few months now with the Carbridge tweak for jailbroken devices and it’s awesome. It will only get better when the apps are natively formatted for CarPlay. Driver display integration would be nice, but won’t happen because that display is proprietary to Nissan.
Old 06-04-2018, 08:40 PM

This is fantastic news
The only other feature we need is the ability to have the app on the screen and the app on your phone be different. If you open music on your phone while the map is up there it switches to the music app in carplay. No fun
Old 06-05-2018, 05:47 AM
MWM

This is great. I hope at some point Spotify will allow us to scroll more than a handful of songs on a playlist. That's my biggest gripe.
Old 06-05-2018, 06:39 AM

Welcome to Android 3 years ago. lol
Old 06-05-2018, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by Amerinamese
Welcome to Android 3 years ago. lol
And there it is, ladies and gents. Can't post anything on the net about a update in iOS without some fandrioid chiming in. At least it took almost an entire day instead of mere seconds.

Thanks for the input! :eyeroll:
Old 06-05-2018, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by OUBeaver
And there it is, ladies and gents. Can't post anything on the net about a update in iOS without some fandrioid chiming in. At least it took almost an entire day instead of mere seconds.

Thanks for the input! :eyeroll:
I'm here to help. You're welcome.
Old 06-05-2018, 05:03 PM

Although this will improve the layout and legibility of some apps not mirrored with the Carbridge tweak, Apple will continue to restrict and limit the functionality of third party and native apple apps for safety and liability reasons. Don’t expect a fully functional Waze or Spotify app etc. now or in the future unless you modify your IOS device.
Old 09-24-2018, 02:00 PM

Just bumping this up to let you all know that Waze works with CarPlay now!!!! Rejoice!!!!

https://9to5mac.com/2018/09/24/waze-carplay/
Old 09-24-2018, 03:38 PM

Ohh god have mercy.
Old 10-03-2018, 08:16 PM

Anyone notice how laggy google map satilite view is in apple carplay during navigation drive?
Old 10-04-2018, 05:05 AM

I haven't used Google Maps yet, but while using Waze and Pandora at the same time, I occasionally experience choppy audio. At first I thought maybe a cable issue, but the other day I noticed that when I turn up the volume, there is a significant lag to when I see the actual volume meter appear on the screen. I tested again using the volume ****, turning the volume up and down kind of quickly, and there was a huge delay seeing the volume meter. The volume turns up and down fine, its the screen that is delayed.

Definitely some resource issues with the latest iOS 12 and/or CarPlay, IMO.
Old 10-04-2018, 08:45 AM

I'm not impressed with CarPlay, to be honest. I've used it maybe 3 times in 2 years, for 10 minutes at a time. Seems like a waste of my time.Whatever I can do in CarPlay I can do on my phone, faster and much better. A little bigger screen doesn't seem like such a big improvement in my experience. Meh...
Old 10-04-2018, 09:40 PM

I agree. Carplay is good for car without standard navigation. Other than that, i rarely plug my phone in for carplay.
Old 10-05-2018, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by craziexstylez
I agree. Carplay is good for car without standard navigation. Other than that, i rarely plug my phone in for carplay.
I like that the standard navigation uses both screens. I find the info in the main screen to be helpful
The few times I used it though, I felt the routes it picked were really bad.

I like apple maps since it picks better routes, also uses my watch to alert me when turns are coming up.

I think I found the standard navigation harder to pick your destination.

Google Maps, doesn't seem to know any destinations. Whatever I tell it, it can't find (must be something wrong I am doing).
Waze, volume seems messed up, sometimes I can hear it ok, others not so much. Was making random beeping noises too but I think I figured out that its telling me that I am going over the speed limit. Its weird that there is no indication on the screen about overspeed.
Old 10-05-2018, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by dmstangu
I'm not impressed with CarPlay, to be honest. I've used it maybe 3 times in 2 years, for 10 minutes at a time. Seems like a waste of my time.Whatever I can do in CarPlay I can do on my phone, faster and much better. A little bigger screen doesn't seem like such a big improvement in my experience. Meh...
i had an iPhone years ago, I don't miss being part of the Apple cult.

not to say that Apple doesn't make some nice products, but they love to lock you in. Want to upgrade your phone? Well your stuck with whatever Apple dishes out next, for better or worse. Want to send a email in color, Apple says no. Want to run an emulator to play some old Games, apple says no. Want to change how your home screen works, forget about it

Old 10-06-2018, 05:40 AM

^ and that’s exactly why apple iPhone is different than your regular phone. Yet, it’s first to become a trillion $ company.
Apple carplay is great. There is no comparison.
Old 10-06-2018, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by dmstangu
give me one reason why you want to be on your phone while driving? Just use CarPlay and use Siri
Old 10-06-2018, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by Fishlet
i had an iPhone years ago, I don't miss being part of the Apple cult.

not to say that Apple doesn't make some nice products, but they love to lock you in. Want to upgrade your phone? Well your stuck with whatever Apple dishes out next, for better or worse. Want to send a email in color, Apple says no. Want to run an emulator to play some old Games, apple says no. Want to change how your home screen works, forget about it
This is a CarPlay thread, not an Apple-hater thread.
Fact = Apple has the wealthiest, most educated segment of buyers/users.
Fact 2 = Android is a heterogenous mess with massive malware, scam apps, and inconsistent updates.

Old 10-06-2018, 11:29 AM

I personally used it for a week after the update and switched back to how I used Nav/phone/music before... if CarPlay was wireless then I would probably use it more often. I just got used to snap my phone to magnetic cradle let it connect via Bluetooth and go. ( music, phone, sms, nav.) although I disabled sms notification in the car system.

and one more issue.. I’m mean it’s still in the very early stage I’m pretty sure they rethink it but Waze always ask to “Thanks” it for showing Police, Speed camera and etc.. but on CarPlay it covers eta time and so on. You won’t be able to see your eta or how many miles left until you “thanks” it

and yeah as some of you already mentioned. The music get choppy occasionally but it goes away if you let it play for a bit... it kinda makes music sounds like strange electronic remix ��
Attached Thumbnails CarPlay in iOS 12-349f3450-23e5-4973-8026-0929d29be22c.jpeg  

Last edited by NisCal17; 10-06-2018 at 11:37 AM.